Police

Mamluke13

Aug 21, 2017
If a crime happens to a tourist would the police do anything about it or just side with the locals? And do the women there ever fall in livewith American that y'all have ever heard of

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Thee is a specific Tourist Police forthe express purpose of protecting tourists.
As far as part 2 all the womn in th DR fell in love with me. And hlf a dozen even fell in live with me.
Der Fish

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If a crime happens to a tourist would the police do anything about it or just side with the locals? And do the women there ever fall in livewith American that y'all have ever heard of

If you are willing to the police for their assistance, yes. If not, good luck.
Most of the women down here would much rather you just stayed home and
sent them money every month via Western Union.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
It's all about money period, If you get robbed or mugged you have to pay to keep the suspect in jail, but then the suspect pay's to get out of jail, which will happen. But on the other hand if your the suspect, you're fu$ked.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Keep your eyes and mind open ;and, indulge within the limits of the law.
Can't go wrong!
Do not be naive.

Russell

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If you pay attention here you will not find you self having any police contact. Play the fool with alcohol, drugs, chicas, or driving at night you could find yourself in a world of hurt and very very alone. In the DR there is a "presumption of guilt" for gringos.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I have lived here for nine years and I have never once needed to speak with a cop (other than polite small talk if I found myself sitting next to one in a public place).

And I do not live in a protective gringo bubble like many posters. I frequent rough barrios and associate with many in the working-class and under-class.

Never getting drunk and not owning my own transport has probably helped me steer clear of the cops.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
One wise comment to this fool
If you pay attention here you will not find you self having any police contact. Play the fool with alcohol, drugs, chicas, or driving at night you could find yourself in a world of hurt and very very alone. In the DR there is a "presumption of guilt" for gringos.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Whenever I see the "policia" here I try not to make eye contact and walk away. Not driving here has probably kept me out of trouble too.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
They smell chickens from far away. Look them in the eyes, don't greet just ask what they want. Hand your documents and just answer the questions. Works fine for me.

Goodwrench708

Nov 1, 2015
Unlike some posters....I don't live near tourists....so no special tourist Police in my neighborhood 
I live in a barrio in Santiago.  Interact with local cops all the time.  No issues at all.  I agree with others on the fact......don't drive ...and don't be drunk in public.  
As for the women....  same as anywhere...good women....and bad women.   Just have to weed out the bad ones.  

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

They fall in love with your dinero. It doesn't take any motivation on their part if you show any interest. They set the hook and real you in like a trout. It can be fun while you are in the DR but be careful. Your not in your comfort zone any longer.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Hi Mamluke, never had any problems with police in 10 years of living here and I drive all the time in all parts of the country both in the day and night. I'm fluent in Spanish so that may have kept me out of trouble at times. As to the women, you can find whatever you like and want here, however most will be after your dinero and or a visa. There are a few good ones though and in all my years and before I found a good one I went through a number of very bad ones. Never forget a first date with one such chica where I took her to a very nice and romantic restaurant in Santo Domingo when within the first 10 minutes of conversation she asked me to buy her a computer and a cell phone. I ate as quickly as possible and immediately took her home never to call her again. I learned quickly to tell a first date that if she asked for anything it would be the last time she would see me. This didn't work a lot of times, but helped to cut out the really bad ones quickly. In the end, I did finally meet a very good women and have been happily married for over 5 years. She has been great and stuck with me through thick and thin. They're out there but takes a lot of patience to find a good one.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Unlike some posters....I don't live near tourists....so no special tourist Police in my neighborhood 
I live in a barrio in Santiago.  Interact with local cops all the time.  No issues at all.  I agree with others on the fact......don't drive ...and don't be drunk in public.  
As for the women....  same as anywhere...good women....and bad women.   Just have to weed out the bad ones.  

I live in a barrio here in Santiago as well. Police are to be avoided at all cost
where I live as they act just like a gang of armed thugs. The only time they ever
come into the section I live in after 8 or 9pm at night is to collect their money
from the drug dealers.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
If a crime happens to a tourist would the police do anything about it or just side with the locals?

It depends  - and you should take heed of all the good advice offered here . Let's just say that as a tourist you don't want the opportunity to find out if the police would side with the locals or not . Prevention is better than cure . 

And do the women there ever fall in livewith American that y'all have ever heard of

Yes , they do.  All the time - day and night . Nuff said.