Organic Produce - Looking For

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
Does anyone know where to find organic produce, specifically organic fruits. Most of the supermarkets like Bravo and La Cadena sell a small selection from a farm called Campo Sano. Other than that, I can't seem to locate any other produce. Any sources or recommendations.

Thanks.

Birdie

Jul 31, 2002
Hi Marcus! Wow it seems nobody ever replied to your post from March! I wish I had some resources for you. I had the same question about 3 years ago, and I didn't save the info because I didn't end up moving back there. But I did get some replies, and so you may find your answer in the archives... I think it was 1999 or 2000! Good luck!

Oh on e last bit. I fyou happen to be in Santo Domingo, there is a vegetarian restaraunt called "ojas" no t far from the Dominicano Americano... In 1998 anyway, somebody sold organic produce there twice a week in front of the restaurant... There is also an open air market on the Churchill inbetween the intersection of Febrero and La Sirena that if I recall sold the occasional organic fruit. There were also some farms outside of Sanot Domingo that were German run. They exported all their fruit out of the Dr, but perhaps that has changed. MMaybe they would sell soem to you. Maybe the German embassy would know?

Anyway, I'd love to know what you find out

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The question I always wonder about is, how do you really know it's been grown organically? I used to buy fresh broccoli in a small town long time ago and the way I knew was because I had to soak them in salt water so the bugs would rise to the top. Now that's organic!!!!LOL But then if you ate the bugs they were same color and you'd get protein at the same time. Sorry I'm being silly but it's true

Lee-Lee

Oct 17, 2002
tomatoes

anna,
inan organic produce, imperfections are absent. the tomatoes have perfect symmety, for example... the contour is almost identically bilaterally, color is sonsistent (no 'statining'). more or less, all the tomatoes look the same size, same texture, etc etc...

if you buy the other stuff you'll have the occasional assymetry, 'zit's, inconsistent layer and interior textures more often .

L

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
All the mangoes, bananas and aquacates that are grown in my back yard are all organic. Come on by and I will give you a bag full. :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Oh yes, you mean the tomatoes that look and taste like baseballs. I hate winter!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
There are a few stores that sell organic products. Some I know how to get there but have no idea what the address is.

The only ones I can point you out are the one in Plaza Catalu?a, the mall on Gustavo Mej?a Ricart, in front of La Nacional Home Gallery, it is on the ground floor at the far end of the mall. The name is Org?nica (an appropriate name), the number is 540 5742, email: organica@posforma.com. The other one is Mercado Ecol?gico, right on my street on Mirador Sur (near the Mirador Sur park). The number is 482-7463.

There's another one in Gazcue, but I don't remember the name or address, they sell some killer granola bars. When I go there I'll pick up a card.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans LIE about virtually everything!

So I wouldn't waste much time in pursuit of "Organic" anything!You will be told whatever you want to hear.In your favor,insecticides cost money,so they probably don't use any,or very little!Cris

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
These two stores sell mostly imported products from Europe and US. They don't sell fresh produce. I am a regular customer at the second one, I'd like to think I know better as to be fooled.

As for fresh produce, yes organic vegetables are being grown here. I know, I've seen it with my own two brown eyes and cheap glasses. What you buy in the supermarket is mostly "rejects" or second-class products not good looking enough for export. But organic they are. Bon also has organic ice cream and cookies (IIRC), I think they are trustworthy enough.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
You should be able to find organically grown produce all over the place in the DR...Just buy from small producers who probably don't have the money to use all kinds of pesticides...When I was growing up we grew evertyhing we needed in our farm without using any pesticides...I ws eating very healthy without knowing it.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
A few years back (maybe 5-6) exports from the Cibao region were halted to many countries because of the residual pesticides found in the produce.
If you shop in the farmers markets rather than the supermarkets for fresh produce you can tell the organic produce quite readily. It's the one with the worm holes and live bugs in/on it!! Big change from a few years back!! :)
I grow organic foodstuffs in my garden at home so I'm always looking for the "healthy" stuff in the DR.

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
Organic Stuff

Thanks for all the replies.

I go to the Organica store regularly for some natural and organic products. They do have a decent selection of organic items. Although, they don't carry any produce.

Thanks again,
Mark