Dominican Republic in 4 days

bedocoman

Aug 25, 2017
I am planning on going in late November for 4 days - quick weekend trip. I have rented a car in Santo Domingo and wondering if going southeast for wildlife and scenery is doable.... simple economy car - can I cut across to the north and perhaps see some waterfalls and beaches there? Any recommendations, must dos? I read the LNP book but so many options and concerned about the timing to get from point A to point B.
Any recommendations would be highly appreciated

Goodwrench708

Nov 1, 2015
Have you ever experienced driving in the RD?  Not a good ideal for a first timer here
Rental cars here are very expensive due to all the extra insurance you buy.  
Public transportation is dirt cheap.....and you don't have to worry 
After 4  1/2 years.... I still avoid driving here.  

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am planning on going in late November for 4 days - quick weekend trip. I have rented a car in Santo Domingo and wondering if going southeast for wildlife and scenery is doable.... simple economy car - can I cut across to the north and perhaps see some waterfalls and beaches there? Any recommendations, must dos? I read the LNP book but so many options and concerned about the timing to get from point A to point B.

When you say renting a car in Santo Domingo are you talking about picking it up at the airport? Many rental companies in the DR require you to buy the "optional" insurance. Pay the price and you will be fine driving. Take your time and watch your speed. On the secondary roads there are more distractions than what you will find in North America. Many people, including children and pets, chickens and possibly cattle walking on the side of the road. Be careful. I would leave SDQ and head north up the Santo Domingo-Samana highways. This is Rt 7. I would take this to the end which will take about 1hour 15 minutes and then turn right onto Rt 5 and follow signs into Las Terrenas which is on the Samana Peninsula. There is plenty to do for a few days here. Good luck and good travels.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012

I assume you mean the southwest? There is not that much wildlife in the southeast while the southwest is still almost free of tourism, very beautiful, but could become very challenging if you dont speak spanish. I agree about going to Samana drop dead gorgeous, there is not that much tourism but a better infrastructure than in the southwest. Las Galeras is also a great place to stay and close to several gorgeous beaches. Las Terrenas is good if you also want a decent nightlife

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.

Could you do Switzerland appropriately in four days? No. The Dominican Republic is the same size. Same as you can't do Switzerland in four days, you can't do the Dominican Republic in four days. You will be spending half of your time on the road.

If you have four days...

Since you are arriving to Santo Domingo, consider overnighting either the first night or the last night to take in the sights of the Colonial City. That would require at least 24 hours. If you are an adventurer, look into staying in Bayahibe or Dominicus. There are small hotels in addition to the resorts. From there you can drive to their Sendero Padre Nuestro, for an easy yet interesting hike. Ask for the public beach entrance at Dominicus and enjoy that beach. You could also visit take a boat trip to Saona Island. The road to La Romana takes two hours.

Option 2 is the same about the overnight in Santo Domingo, but do so on the first night and then instead head to the north. Problem is that it will take you four hours to get to the north. Once there, book a hotel in Cofresi or Puerto Plata for the first night and visit the Damajagua Falls. You need hiking + water scandals plus clothes that can get wet, and a purse that can protect your valuables when you plunge. May I recommend Khombu that are sturdy but allow water in and out. You can also go hiking up to the Isabel de Torres Mountain botanical gardens and then take the skylift down. You should visit the Gregorio Luperon museum in town. Visit the Brugal Rum factory and take a tour. Then head east to visit Sosua and Cabarete beaches, have lunch on the beach in Cabarete. You can then drive along the north coast road (many beaches on the way, including Playa Grande and Playa Preciosa) to the crossing with the Samana toll road. There you take this road south. Keep to the road speed indications of 80 and 50 (on curves) for safe driving. This road puts you 15 minutes or less from Las Americas International Airport, assuming you are arriving via Las Americas (Santo Domingo).

Option 3... Spend the first night in Santo Domingo (Colonial City) then head east to the toll road to Samana. Toll road is expensive... Figure around US$50 in tolls. Samana has hiking, waterfalls and beaches. As above, plan on returning on the toll road straight to take your flight out at Las Americas International. This road is about 2 hour drive but you need to drive following the road limit signs -- no speeding.

In the DR make sure to not drive at night. If you use Waze you should not have major problems getting around.

Let us know what you decide and your choices, and we can give you our opinions.

Here are some DR1 Guides to help you get around...

http://dr1.com/travel/samanaguide.pdf
The Taino Park is closed.

http://dr1.com/travel/laromanaguide.pdf

http://dr1.com/travel/santodomingoguide.pdf

Last edited:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

There is no wildlife in the DR, unless you are speaking of partying. But two kinds of rats are the only mammals besides humans that exist on the island. Beaches are all around the island and if you have only 4 days it may be best to go off along the coast to the east of the city and do some snorkelling/girlwathcing.
Der Fish

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I would agree to head north, but why not go to Bayahibe in the south east first? A very nice place in my opinion.

Driving is not such a big problem as some suggest, as long as you drive defensively, and as long as you avoid driving at night.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There is no wildlife in the DR, unless you are speaking of partying.

No wildlife? Crocodiles, iguanas, flamingos, lots of birds, parrots, mongeese (gooses?), limpkins, rats, snakes, scorpions, tarantualas, centipedes, mosquitos etc etc etc.

Matilda

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I would highly recommend Las Terrenas as it is absolutely beautiful and what I think of when I envision a tropical paradise... easily my favorite place on the Island and I have been everywhere. Also, when renting the car, make sure you take pictures of the entire car outside and double check that all floor mats are in the car and if not, note it on the contract before leaving. Also check that the spare tire, jack and lugnut wrench are there. They will charge you for anything missing when you bring the car back and it turns into a giant cluster f....k if you don't have all this documented by pictures and contract noting. I absolutely hate renting cars in the DR and am very fortunate to have my own wheels so as not to ever have to deal with them anymore. Get the full coverage insurance even though it is very pricey but absolutely necessary. Good luck and enjoy your long weekend here in paradise. Tell us about yourself, are you married, single, no Spanish, etc. etc.