Washing Machine Problems

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
5 years ago I purchased a new full sized Whirlpool washing machine in Santiago. About 2 months ago the agitator started to have problems and stopped working. I live close to Yaqi where there is an outlet that specializes in washing machine repair. Asked around and this shop has been there for 30+ years.
The owner came out with a young helper and removed the center agitator, ends up the main gear was stripped, cost, DP4000 for replacement.
After 6 attempts/visits to get it working correctly, they refuse to come back again, machine does not work.

I even contacted several stores in Santiago for contact info for their repairmen for out of warranty work, not 1 would divulge any info.

Ended up purchasing the dual compartment Dominican style machine, LG top of the line at Plaza llama, Santiago.

Reason I am posting this, if you purchase an American style machine, you may end up with the same repair problem down the road. Apparently there are numerous repair options for the dual compartment machine.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We had the exact same problem with our big GE washer, and thankfully it was under warranty so it was fixed. That was a year or two ago, I hope it stays fixed.

I really dislike those double tub machines, but if we ever need another washer we'll probably buy one. I'll just get someone to do the laundry instead of me :)

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
5 years ago I purchased a new full sized Whirlpool washing machine in Santiago. About 2 months ago the agitator started to have problems and stopped working. I live close to Yaqi where there is an outlet that specializes in washing machine repair. Asked around and this shop has been there for 30+ years.
The owner came out with a young helper and removed the center agitator, ends up the main gear was stripped, cost, DP4000 for replacement.
After 6 attempts/visits to get it working correctly, they refuse to come back again, machine does not work.

I even contacted several stores in Santiago for contact info for their repairmen for out of warranty work, not 1 would divulge any info.

Ended up purchasing the dual compartment Dominican style machine, LG top of the line at Plaza llama, Santiago.

Reason I am posting this, if you purchase an American style machine, you may end up with the same repair problem down the road. Apparently there are numerous repair options for the dual compartment machine.

I know a guy that could have fixed your problem-excellent-but he is in Santo Domingo.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Buy DR style. We had our white-westinghouse repaired voor 350 pesos the other day, didn't dry anymore...well it is not really drying more wringing.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I know a guy that could have fixed your problem-excellent-but he is in Santo Domingo.

That's part of the problem, couldn't find a reputable repairman in or around Santiago.....
Would still like to repair but don't want to throw good money after bad.....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Darn, here I thought those who lived near Santiago and SD had it so much easier and had so much more choice when it came to repairs and part availability. I guess this is a further reinforcement of the idea - In a land of Ladas, having a Mercedes can be a challenge.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Talking of repair people... need a reputable repair-person in Santo Domingo for a General Electric dishwasher. The bottom part of the dish washer works, not so the top part. Recommendations appreciated.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Darn, here I thought those who lived near Santiago and SD had it so much easier and had so much more choice when it came to repairs and part availability. I guess this is a further reinforcement of the idea - In a land of Ladas, having a Mercedes can be a challenge.

Funny you mention Lada. We have a guy, Gringo guy, passing buy every day driving an old LADA NIVA, with a trailer. Seems to run good.
For those who don't know this little 4x4: 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LADA_4x4

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
I had the same old problem over and over again. Kept on getting shoddy repair jobs - people not turning up etc. In the end I went to Plaza Lama and bought a brand spanking new machine with warranty - ok it wasnt cheap but all of a sudden no stress! It was worth every penny.
I have to admit that nothing has gone wrong yet (touch wood) and it does have a 10 year warranty (which I havent tested) and I have had it 3 years - but if I get 5 years of no issues I think it will be money well spent.
Buy new if you can - less headaches. Just my 2 cents

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Talking of repair people... need a reputable repair-person in Santo Domingo for a General Electric dishwasher. The bottom part of the dish washer works, not so the top part. Recommendations appreciated.

Dolores, have you tried contacted the store where you bought it? I'm sure they will have repair folks, you'll just have to pay for the repair.

That has always been my approach in the past, and hasn't failed me yet.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Same problem for me. 5 years of use is better than I ever got.
The broken machine just sits there next to the double tub Dominican machine.
When they gave up the second or third repair "team" said " your machine is crazy".

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, I gave up on my Whirlpool electronic machine after nobody could repair it. I now have a Dominican style twin tub and life is a lot easier, apart from having to be there and manually operate it. The Whirlpool machine was driven off in a scrap truck.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I moved in with a lady who had a brand new Samsung washing machine. It had all the bells and whistles, and was so automatic that when I opened the lid after it had already started its cycle it coughed and died. Cost 2000 pesos to get it running right afterwards and she assured me that I better not touch her washing machine ever again!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Good repair people are jewels but seem to be scarce.

Had a Whirlpool that lasted for about 20 years without a problem...

Changed it for a Samsung washing machine that lasted around 10 years before needing to be repaired. We were considering buying a new one, and my worker told me to give it to him. He has it operating fine at his house. Bought another one and after the three year guarantee period the drum got out of synch. Corripio sent a guy who detected the part that had to be changed (RD$4,000), but Corripio was no longer importing that part for that model that had been discontinued. Was fortunate that my worker had become an expert at repairing his machine (my old one) so was quick to suggest what I needed to do to repair my own. Tinkered with the part, simple repair... no cost. Dominican ingenuity at work.

Jan 9, 2004
I have a client whose family has owned an appliance store in the US for over 60 years.

He is the one who informed me that the GE/Whirlpool/Maytag etc., that ends up in the DR marketplace is NOT the same as the ones sold in the US.

They have everything from reductions in thickness of the gauge of the metal to lower quality compressors/motors, etc. in order to meet certain price points in the DR.

On that advice, I, like many other Dominicans, bought my appliances in the US and shipped them down.

Ten years later, I still have those same appliances....not a malfunction or metal fatigue/deterioration in any of them.....and they have survived all the power spikes thrown at them.

The biggest risk was no warranty work outside the US.....but if you never have a problem.....you never need a warranty.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Good repair people are jewels but seem to be scarce.

Had a Whirlpool that lasted for about 20 years without a problem...

Changed it for a Samsung washing machine that lasted around 10 years before needing to be repaired. We were considering buying a new one, and my worker told me to give it to him. He has it operating fine at his house. Bought another one and after the three year guarantee period the drum got out of synch. Corripio sent a guy who detected the part that had to be changed (RD$4,000), but Corripio was no longer importing that part for that model that had been discontinued. Was fortunate that my worker had become an expert at repairing his machine (my old one) so was quick to suggest what I needed to do to repair my own. Tinkered with the part, simple repair... no cost. Dominican ingenuity at work.

I'd suggest calling Radiocentro and see if they can give you a tech number.

Your source for parts is searspartsdirect.com if you can find someone to ID what is damaged..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i did not move here to live like a peasant. fully automatic machines all the way. maybe you folks are a bit on a dirty side but in our household i do 2-5 full size loads a week. if i were to do it in the dominican style washing machine it would take me all day of actual work. i'd rather nap.
we are on our second washing machine (in 10 years or so). the first one was top loader, we sold it when we bought the new one. GE, i think? front loader, european style. works like gold. when it breaks we'll get another one, it's not that hard, really.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
DSCF2793.jpg

And if your washing machine stops working, you just call washing machine man and he brings one to you.Cost is RD$100 to rent for a few hours.

Peasant Matilda