Last of the Original Homes in Piantini

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This home and its contents are an absolute gem. Sadly not a shred of doubt in my mind
as soon as this women passes, someone in her family will do whatever is necessary to
cash in on the property value. Place should be preserved at all cost.
https://vimeo.com/230093127

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
My grandma had a similar place inSantiago when my pos philandering grandpa wanted to sell to pay for his girlfriends she resisted.  Years later parts of the property have been sold off but the main house on 13 hectares remain.  It's a testament to our families success, the house is rented out but as art of the deal we have access when we want to the property.  If I could live there instead of  chopolandia Santo Domingo wed still be living there 

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you for sharing. It is amazing she preserved the family  home for all these years. Imagine all of the development of the surrounding area she has seen over the years. 

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A good friend of mine has a similar setup as this in Bella Vista.

Once a very quiet urbanization of upper scale homes, most have been torn down and towers constructed in their place.

He now has 20 story cement walls on every side of his house where he has lived his entire life.

He has been approached many times to sell, but that is where he wants to spend the rest of his days.

It's almost depressing to look at.

May 12, 2005
A good friend of mine has a similar setup as this in Bella Vista.

Once a very quiet urbanization of upper scale homes, most have been torn down and towers constructed in their place.

He now has 20 story cement walls on every side of his house where he has lived his entire life.

He has been approached many times to sell, but that is where he wants to spend the rest of his days.

It's almost depressing to look at.

It's a shame that there are so few of these older homes left. It would make for a nice historical preservation area. Just think how much of a prettier city it would be.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What amazed me is the wooden louver windows and doors, no bars. The whole place is frozen in time, an oasis in the craziness that is SD.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Makes me think of this classic children book made short Disney movie:

[video=youtube_share;Y881yjtFluQ]https://youtu.be/Y881yjtFluQ[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i really liked the interior. very retro but not dated. kinda hipster. that metal and wood shelving unit is amazing. it's funny how even today it looks, dare i say, modern?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i really liked the interior. very retro but not dated. kinda hipster. that metal and wood shelving unit is amazing. it's funny how even today it looks, dare i say, modern?

They called that style Danish Modern back in the 60's. My parents' home was just like that, I wish I had some of their furniture, most of it was sold with their house when they retired to Florida. At that time I was all into chrome and glass, and wasn't interested. Stupid.

I'm actually surprised to see that it was available in Santo Domingo at that time. I've never seen a house there decorated like that there, back then or now.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the old bat says her father was german, that may have something to do with the decor. i was born past the golden era of design of the communism but i remember some of those pieces in polish houses too. makes me a bit nostalgic. the furniture back in those days was stunning and still looks fresh today. i like metal/glass/plastic ultra contemporary style but i appreciate retro.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That style is making a comeback. Now its called 'Mid Century Modern.'

Joybird is a very popular furniture maker of such style.

https://joybird.com/

I think Ilumel is the exclusive importer/distributor of their products in the Dominican market, but I'm not 100% sure of this. I'll talk with an acquaintance that is well versed in the furniture business to see if he knows.