Sanky Statistics MEN DO NOT POST

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I recently carried out an anonymous survey among foreign women married to Dominicans. Amazingly there were 461 responses. I have analyzed all sorts of the data – successful marriages, unsuccessful ones, biggest relationship issues – good and bad etc, but I thought it might be worth looking at if there were any clues for those Dominican men who were only with a women for a visa, or those who were sanky pankies.

Overall out of the 461 replies, 18 men were only with the woman for visas (3.9%) and there were 35 sankies (7.6%).

Looking at the countries the ladies came from – 72% of the women with visa seeking men came from Canada, 16% from the US and 12% from the UK. Looking at the sankies – 51% were with Canadian women, 20% American, 20% British and 9% Europe.

When you compare this with the overall sample, Canadian women are more likely to end up with visa seekers (58% of women in the total sample were Canadian), American and Brits more likely to have sankies (14.5% and 13.4% respectively in the total sample).

Looking at age – people always assume that older women are with sankies and visa hunters.
The biggest age group of women at 44% in the visa hunters section was ladies aged 20-30, ewhich I thought was surprising, whereas in the overall sample they only accounted for 33.8%. There were less of them sankified though at 33%.

The second biggest age group of women with visa hunters was to 31-40 age group at 28%, but more were sankified at 31%. However both less than the overall sample when they made up 35.6%.

The 41-50 age group represented 21% of the overall sample of women with or used to be with Dominicans, as was similar for the visa seekers at 22% and but a little more likely to be sankified at 28%.

The 51 to 60 age group made up 5.4% of the overall sample, 5% of the visa seekers but 11% of the sankified and finally the 61+ age group (1.5%) of the overall sample had no visa seekers, but made up 5% of the sankies.

Conclusions so far: Canadians more likely to be with visa seekers, as well as women at the younger and older ends of the age spectrum. Americans and Brits are more likely to end up with sankies.

More information tomorrow!

Matilda

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
interesting to read. I would like to find out more about this survey. Did you also check how many relationships turned out as succesfull? (Still going strong after 3 years + i would say).

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yes there is loads more about the survey but to answer your question of the total sample40% still married and together, 8% married and waiting for a visa, 11% married and separated and 7% divorced, 11% together not married and 14% the relationship ended before marriage.

Matida.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Ladies only William ;-)

Thank you Julia - he has gone. The responses were in the first post (lol). 461 in total and the age range was broken down as 20-30 33.8%; 31-40 35.6%; 41-50 21.0%; 51-60 5.4% and over 61 1.5%

I will post more information about the ladies who ended up with someone who just wanted a visa or a sanky later today.

Matilda

Jan 17, 2009
From this stats, to call a marriage "successful" when they're still married, this 40%, how long have them been married?

Just wondering if enough time for men to get their permanent residency and citizenship.  I'm not familiar with Canada, but in the US, it'll take at least 4 years of marriage until a spouse can get citizenship (3 years after obtaining green card).

Yes there is loads more about the survey but to answer your question of the total sample40% still married and together, 8% married and waiting for a visa, 11% married and separated and 7% divorced, 11% together not married and 14% the relationship ended before marriage.

Matida.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The definition of successful marriage was not mine, it came from the results. 42.7% said they were very happy and 20% said it was good for a while but not long term. I have no idea re permanent residency and citizenship by each country. I do get the impression that those who do a runner do so sooner rather than later.

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Now let’s look at the level of Spanish of the ladies who ended up with sankies and visa hunters and compare it to the overall sample of the 461 ladies who were with Dominican men who replied.
Firstly, the overall sample showed that 30.8% of the ladies spoke Spanish fluently – but of those with visa hunters that went down a little to 22% but interestingly those with Sankies was about the same at 28%. Across the whole sample – those who spoke no Spanish at all was 12.4%, of those with visa hunters that went up to 17% and those with Sankies it was over double at 28%.
There were 23.6% who spoke Spanish more or less for the whole sample, but that went down to 22% for the visa hunters and down to 14% for those with Sankies. And finally for the ladies who speak only a little Spanish when they meet their man, that was 31.7% for the whole sample, 39% for those with visa hunters and 28% for those with sankies.
Results seem to show that if you speak no Spanish you are more likely to end up with a Sanky or someone after a visa.
So how did these couples communicate?
Across all respondents of ladies with Dominican men some 21% speak in English (or their mother tongue) and Spanish; 38.0% communicate in English or mother tongue only; 32.8% in Spanish only and 8.2% using a translator like Google.
When it comes to those with visa hunters, 22% spoke in both languages – so more or less the same, 39% in English or mother tongue, also more or less the same, but 22% communicated via a translator and only 17% in Spanish.
Looking at those who ended up with Sankies – 42% communicated in English or mother tongue, 17% in English or mother tongue and Spanish, only 20% in Spanish and another 20% via a translator – one in 5.
Tomorrow more about the guys (sankies and visa hunters, what they do and where they come from).

Matilda

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Just finding this thread now...how interesting! Is there more data to come? What will become of all these statistics...new book?