Leader of social movement Marcha Verde severely beaten by CESTUR agents in Sosua

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
PUERTO PLATA.- Four agents of the Specialized Tourist Security Corps (CESTUR) has given a harsh beating to a community leader and social movement activist of Marcha Verde in Sosua.

The assaulted is Yulendy Burgos who is the president of the organization Quisqueyanas Valientes de Sosúa and is also a member of the Human Rights Committee. She was abusively beaten by a group of agents of CESTUR after she had attempted to stand up for a woman who was being mestreated by CESTUR in Pedro Clisante street.

The incident occurred when Burgos, who is also a leader of the Popular Front of Popular Struggle (FALPO), was onserving the agents of the Specialized Tourist Security Corps (CESTUR) kick and slap a young woman allegedly prostitute, who was half-naked from the waist up exposing her breasts. Being a part of Human Rights, she stepped in for the woman, who was being mistreated.

Several eyewitnesses said that “this aggression was an excess of force and authority, as well as a cowardly and abusive action of CESTUR agents, who after being discovered by Yulendy Burgos, without a word as if they were wild beasts, switched to beat her up and taken her to the San Marcos prison in Puerto Plata where she was held for more than three days without charge. ”

In an attempt to justify the misdemeanor committed against Burgos, the North regional inspector of the Specialized Corps of Tourist Security (CESTUR), Colonel Ignacio Peña Grullón, through a chat in social networks, said that the agents allegedly proceeded against the lady since she assaulted one of them, which was denied by several citizens who witnessed the event.

In that sense, the Popular Front of Popular Struggle (FALPO) denounced the physical aggression of one of their leaders, by members of CESTUR, who savagely beat Yulendy Burgos without any Justification, and kept her in detention from Saturday, August 19 until Monday, 21st, and demanded that this aggression should be investigated and all involved agents punished.

Source: Puerto Plata Digital
http://puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=25278

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It seems Cestor has become the SS of the North Coast - must have been trained by ex-Nazis

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
It seems Cestor has become the SS of the North Coast - must have been trained by ex-Nazis

Or maybe they are just policeman given an impossible and ambiguous task on dealing with vice on Pedro. The police are not doormats to be hit and punched. I have never seen them beating a woman on Pedro but I have seen the chicas resisting arrest regularly.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Or maybe they are just policeman given an impossible and ambiguous task on dealing with vice on Pedro. The police are not doormats to be hit and punched. I have never seen them beating a woman on Pedro but I have seen the chicas resisting arrest regularly.

I have seen them dragging a woman by her hair (extensions) down the street and kicking her. It happens. No the CESTUR officers aren't punching bags but training needs to establish limits of restraint. They just aren't professional.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I have seen them dragging a woman by her hair (extensions) down the street and kicking her. It happens. No the CESTUR officers aren't punching bags but training needs to establish limits of restraint. They just aren't professional.

Training, pay and newer uniforms yes and clear enforcement directives. That chica must have had some high quality hair extensions, maybe they were carbon fiber.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Jailing the woman who intervened on behalf of the hooker for three days certainly seems an excessive punishment.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

Hope Ms. Burgos is ok. I have seen cops treat girls roughly on the street. Police are not following their training. Usually they wait until behind closed doors to start the beatings. The DR has a long way to go with women's rights. Hopefully this sad event will bring attention to long standing abuses.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Not if she assaulted and resisted an Officer

If you see the video I saw, no one mentions the woman was screaming, swinging, punching, spitting like a wildcat and this woman jumped in and started punching too. It doesn't matter if she's the queen of England, if she jumps in and starts assaulting an officer, what's gravy for the goose is gravy for the gander.

She could have just as easily whipped out her cel phone and recorded the CESTUR guys, but she made a choice to get into the fray.

Had the woman being arrested acted like a responsible citizen, they wouldn't have started roughing her up in the first place.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Assaulting a police officer no matter what rarely ends well.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Assaulting a police officer no matter what rarely ends well.

Does happen. Been there, done that. An off-topic story though, as it wasnt in the dr.

Of course, I wasnt there, but even if the lady was crazy, it hardly justifies 3 or 4 guys beaten her up.......

P.S. you can always tell the ex-law enforcement guys on dr1...... they always seem to defend the PN......Half of the PN guys I have interacted with are in a severe need of getting slapped around the head a couple of times...... just saying.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
If you see the video I saw, no one mentions the woman was screaming, swinging, punching, spitting like a wildcat and this woman jumped in and started punching too. It doesn't matter if she's the queen of England, if she jumps in and starts assaulting an officer, what's gravy for the goose is gravy for the gander.

She could have just as easily whipped out her cel phone and recorded the CESTUR guys, but she made a choice to get into the fray.

Had the woman being arrested acted like a responsible citizen, they wouldn't have started roughing her up in the first place.

Can you please get us the link to that video......

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Fighting with the police and the police slapping individuals around never ends well. There is ample hatred towards the police and police towards civilians. I have seen both. It never ends well. When both sides demonize each other you end up with a war between demons. It's a no win situation. Training has a lot to do with how a police officer responds to acts of agression be it verbal or physical.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
As long as prostitution is legal and the authorities act as though it is illegal, the conflict will be never ending.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is almost impossible to believe that these  green people will not overstep the line sometime and somewhere and that there be confrontations. 

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
When people blame the police for doing there job and start rallying around a chica from Santo Domingo the town suffers. The chicas in Sosua and especially on Pedro know the rules. The Police do a pretty good job of keeping the thieves and scam artists in check. If it wasn't for the Police on Pedro it would be unsafe at night quickly.