Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Earthquakes in the DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    I was awake at that time last night. Didn't feel a thing here in Cabarete(?).
    That's strange. I'm in Cabarete too and was dozing but was very quickly wide awake when it struck. Maybe it's because I'm on the third floor.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    It is a tad spooky that almost to the day and time 15 years ago was the big earthquake in Puerto Plata.
    The 2003 Dominican Republic earthquake occurred on September 22 at 00:45:37 local time with a magnitude of 6.4 in Puerto Plata. Part of the Banreservas building collapsed and the local Roman Catholic church and several businesses sustained serious damage. Two people were killed and thirteen people were taken to local hospitals in Imbert with multiple contusions.

A family of four suffered burns in Sosua, after a gas bottle filled with gasoline exploded.The highway between Santiago and Puerto Plata was littered with debris and stone due to the tremors. Thousands of residents in the northern provinces left their homes while awaiting a government inspection of their housing.

Multiple aftershocks continued for eight hours, the strongest of which had a magnitude of 5.1 on the Richter scale, according to the Santo Domingo Autonomous University seismology institute.

Matilda
    I remember that in Barrio Nuevo in Puerto plata. Broke all the dishes fridge fell over in our place

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920