New or Old Scam?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Was exchanging dollars for peso today a Banco Progreso... give the lady 600 hundred when she gave me the peso it was only for 500 she told me all i gave her was 500 I told her listen I'm not fu****ng leaving until you give me the other 100 call your supervisor lets go to the video .. long story short I gave her 600 hundreds ... but my point being is this is like the 3rd time its has happen exchanging money. Just want to give everyone a heads up in the forum about this Scam if you don"t already know about it.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
THe broad at one of Caribe Express' outlets tried it on me. Just 80 dollars, but tried to pay me back for $60.00 But when she tried it the Dominican man behind me spoke up right away and told her that he saw and not to try that on his friend. Though I had never met him before.
De Fish

SosuaEnVivo

Nov 13, 2014
Same happened to me at Caribe Express in Santo Domingo Norte across from La Sirena on Charle

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
When I used to exchange dollars for pesos, I handed the bills over one at a time very slowly so there would be no "confusion". I've since opened both dollar and peso accounts,so, no more miscounting bills. I did have my credit card locked when a teller at Banreservas swiped my card instead of using the chip reader during a transaction. The CC company told me they should have known better.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have had many a conversation about this with my Dominican friends.
In their eyes they don't see it as stealing. They look at it as they are being
clever and see nothing wrong with it should you fail to catch them in the act.
It's become a part of their culture.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would say it is a scam that has been around since the invention of money.

They just do it more here than some other places.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When in Rome...

As ww says, count it out for them just like they do before handing you the cash. I don't count it three times, but for sure once and then say the total out loud when I am done. I do this at the bank, at the grocery store, especially in a bar or whenever I am handing over more than 1 note. By saying the amount you are showing the person you know without a doubt how much you just handed them.

Gringo beware.

RDKNIGHT, once I can chalk up to a mistake, but more than that, I'd be chatting with the branch manager. You can rest assured it will never happen to you again at that branch.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Get a new type of friends mate.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i believe the word is tigueraje..

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I've come to the conclusion...some of you need new friends and some of you have no luck except bad in DR! 

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014

That's bull! If they think that way they know they are thief and any honest Dominican will say the same thing. It's like a thief is not a thief until he gets caught. They are all just dishonest thief. In the DR there is not much worse to be called then a thief.

Feb 7, 2007
When I do deposits in a bank, I count it twice in my hands, in front of them, tell the amount and hand the money ... then they count manually and ask for amount again, then they count by machine. So far, never had a problem. But then, I don't handle black trash bags full fo cash as many cambistas do... jeeez should one count that manually two or three times... cannot imagine that.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes!

and I do the same thing in Canada or the US.....
this is smart money handling.... not a uniquely RD thing.

I was in the check cashing business....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've never had that happen, but last year Mr. AE changed a couple of thousand dollars at a Western Union inside a La Sirena. They counted the money in front of him, but she managed to slip in a 200 peso note in with the 1000's. Color of the bills is similar and they got him. It won't happen again, just glad it was only one bill.

Feb 7, 2007
Maybe, because many people just take the money and receipt, pocket it and walk away without looking or giving it a second thought. I cannot count times I have noticed discrepancy between advertised price and charged price in the supermarket. I know most of the times this is because of human error of forgetting to update price in one or other place, but imagine the money the store is pocketing by advertising something selling at cheaper price, but ringing it up at register for more, and when most people don't check their receipt (and most do not), it becomes their money and their profit. I have also had items double charged - not very often, but it did happen.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We've never had that happen, but last year Mr. AE changed a couple of thousand dollars at a Western Union inside a La Sirena. They counted the money in front of him, but she managed to slip in a 200 peso note in with the 1000's. Color of the bills is similar and they got him. It won't happen again, just glad it was only one bill.

Or it may have been she rec'd the money that way - a 200 stuffed in with the 1,000's

Somebody before her did the switch....

Money handling is a tricky business

I had a girl/teller who could fondle a pile of of 20's and guess the total amount VERY accurately....
within about $50..
it was astounding.