What ever happened to compassion

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Last week a young girl (25) whom we have been helping over the years had a motorcycle accident.
It was at night, and no helmet was worn.
A couple of guys carried her to the local free clinic and dropped her off.
When she tried to identify herself her wallet was gone. Then she tried to call my home, but the cell was gone.
The night staff would not treat her because she could produce the cedula. They also would not call my home.
It wasn't until the next day when we found about the accident. WE found her huddled in the corner of a building.
Unconscious and bleeding.
It was then that Espossa took her back to the Clinic... there was hell to pay.

The girl had severe head injuries and Brain swelling..... not at all herself ; thinks she is 8 years old.

WE are trying to get her treated but with little success.
This is a crying shame, and there is little one can do about it.
Today she has finally got a consult with a Neurologist... she should be in ICU not driving around in the back seat of a car .... 1 1/2 hours to hospitals in Santiago.
I am just frustrated .... thanks for listening.
Russell

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
From the reports that I have read and the videos I have seen, I kind of expect my wallet to disappear if I prang up my moto. I carry photocopies of my passport, cedula, insurance card and contact info for two people on my moto, under the sole insert of my shoe and in another pocket in an old plastic car insurance case. If they take my moto, my shoes and my wallet, hopefully they will leave the small plastic folder with nothing but photocopies in it.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
So sorry to hear that. Hope she pulls through.

And yeah, you just want to really hurt the two creeps that brought her to clinic.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Sorry you had to go true that. It is indeed a cruel society!  I wish all the best for that girl.

ElVenao

Mar 16, 2017
From the reports that I have read and the videos I have seen, I kind of expect my wallet to disappear if I prang up my moto. I carry photocopies of my passport, cedula, insurance card and contact info for two people on my moto, under the sole insert of my shoe and in another pocket in an old plastic car insurance case. If they take my moto, my shoes and my wallet, hopefully they will leave the small plastic folder with nothing but photocopies in it.

This is an interesting approach. I just have one inquiry: If they pull you over or a cop detains you, would the photocopies suffice? When doing generic errands, do photocopies suffice?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Last week a young girl (25) whom we have been helping over the years had a motorcycle accident.
When she tried to identify herself her wallet was gone. Then she tried to call my home, but the cell was gone.
The night staff would not treat her because she could produce the cedula. They also would not call my home.
It wasn't until the next day when we found about the accident. WE found her huddled in the corner of a building.

The girl had severe head injuries and Brain swelling..... not at all herself ; thinks she is 8 years old.

Today she has finally got a consult with a Neurologist... she should be in ICU not driving around in the back seat of a car .... 1 1/2 hours to hospitals in Santiago.
Russell

Compassion is very much alive with you and your wife. Nice thing you are doing for this poor victim.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I have a friend who was in an accident while in a taxi. The driver died and my friend was unconscious for about 3-4 minutes. When he came to, people were emptying the pockets of the driver and my friend's pockets had already been emptied... He was carrying $ 1,600 in cash for a deposit on an apartment.... But when you live here long enough, you expect nothing less.

Apr 10, 2014
Like a lion preying on an injured Wildebeest in the Serengeti. She was an easy mark. Van happen anywhere but seems more prevalent in the D.R.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Those cases are always hard to swallow.

They passed a new law just this year finally making it a crime to extract personal belongings from someone involved in an accident. Not sure how many cases will be prosecuted under this law, not exactly the easiest case to prove, but it's a first step. Also, by law, hospitals and clinics are required to stabilize a patient even if they do not have insurance or a means to pay. If it's a public clinic, I'm sure they must get several similar cases a week.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
This is an interesting approach. I just have one inquiry: If they pull you over or a cop detains you, would the photocopies suffice? When doing generic errands, do photocopies suffice?

If I am stopped at a checkpoint or by the cops for blocking traffic when I habitually stop at a red light, I should still have my wallet, so I can produce my original cedula. As a resident, I am not obligated to carry my passport. If I am a victim of a accident/robbery, and my wallet is stolen, "It was stolen" is the one excuse that has a bit of traction. The copies are good enough to get medical care started, placate the cops if they bother to show up and I have the opportunity to get other original documents that are usually kept at home.

Providing two contacts ensures that the hospital, the cops, or other would be profiteers have someone to call and ask for money...the side benefit being that someone will soon know why I have not come home for dinner and probably where I am.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I know lots of compassionate Dominicans, I know lots
uncompassionate Dominicans who seem to enjoy hurting
other people as well. Ups and downs of life in a 3rd world country.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Those cases are always hard to swallow.

They passed a new law just this year finally making it a crime to extract personal belongings from someone involved in an accident. Not sure how many cases will be prosecuted under this law, not exactly the easiest case to prove, but it's a first step. Also, by law, hospitals and clinics are required to stabilize a patient even if they do not have insurance or a means to pay. If it's a public clinic, I'm sure they must get several similar cases a week.

WFTF?? only in the DR would they pass a law for something which is already a crime; its called THEFT. Just another reason not to ride one of those death rockets

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

You forgot to tell us where you hide all the cash you carry. You are one careful plan ahead person.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
When one the sons of the owner of Playero got killed a couple years ago in an ATV accident in Sosua I saw them pick that kids body clean within minutes of the accident. Rings,necklace and money all taken while he laid in the middle of the highway,one of the most disgusting acts by one human being to another I have ever witnessed in my entire life,it made me sick to my stomach.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Isn't there a law that says no clinic can reject a patient in an emergency situation?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Actually , this is the first time in nine years that this sort of thing happened to my family or friends.
It usually happens to ''the other person''... now I am ''the other person.''

I believe my term was 'No compassion' and 'Frustration' not 'surprise'.

May 5, 2007

Russell

Is there anything we can do to help this girl?

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I was walking the Sosua beach a few weeks ago. As I step to the sand a new Samsung cell is at my feet. I pick it up and no-one says anything. I go to the Mung-fo bar (or how you spell it) and give it to Annna, she is in shock (why don't I just keep it), and asks why me?? I say, "your the only one I trust on the beach" and she almost starts crying. She puts it her purse and 20 minutes later the owner is at my table with THANKS and a free drink. 

Bottom line, finding something of valuable means your the owner and when you act differently people are in shock. Yes, I know not everyone but it is sorta of the culture. If I have friends over now and then something goes missing (I loose a ear phone headset a month, they use it and just walk out with it), well I blame myself (I know change my friends and you could be right) for making it to easy.

Just the way it is here, what can I say  ....

singletravel