What fish?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Morning,

I am taking a Omega 3 fish oil supplement but I wish to replace it with eating more fish.

Now, I have a short list what fish is most recommended for its highest omega-3 fatty acids (eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)) amounts:

Arenque, Salmon, Ostra and Sardinas I know but what would be the Dominican equivalent for:

Caballa ?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
mackerel (1.8%), lake trout (1.6%), herring (1.5%), sardines (1.4%), albacore tuna (1.3%), salmon (1.1%)
My personal 2 favorites, lake trout (cannot find in DR) and salmon.......
I believe Caballa is Mackerel......also never seen here

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You don't need large portions of salmon when complimented with a salad and fresh vegetables.......

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I just purchased a container of 320 100% Alaskan Salmon Oil capsules 1200mg ea.
I take 2 a day as recommended, good for 5 or so months. Price, DP 920 at PriceSmart, Santiago.....

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I use from NOW (Ultra Omega 3 / 500 EPA / 250 DHA) taking 1 with each meal.

Thing is I want to cut down from taking all as supplements. It is also said fish is better than fish oil, so I want to give it a try. :)

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I live in a fishing town when in Canada... we are spoiled rotten.... more fish than one could imagine.
When in RD , which is most of the time I take ''Moringa'' which is quite a lot of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory el ements.
It grows in RD and really does what the I-net says it can do.
Replaces the need for fish oil.
Canned sardines, Paco fish canned Mackerel, and canned sockeye salmon all are rich in Omega3.
Easy to buy at supermarket
Russell.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Canned sardines, Paco fish canned Mackerel, and canned sockeye salmon all are rich in Omega3.

Yea, I know but tastewise... :) then I would rather stick with the pills, lol.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Cheapest source is canned sardines. Big plus is no mercury. No cooking.
I use raw onions to kill the nasty taste in a tortilla wrap.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pricesmart sometimes has trout fillets. whenever i see them i buy several packs. they cost about 400-500 pesos (depending on the size). i also get tuna and salmon fillets. food is one of the few things i'm willing to spend on. getting my hair done? waste of time and money. buying trout? yes, please.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
what would be the Dominican equivalent for:

Caballa ?

Yegua?

jk, couldn't help it :bunny:

3 of my dogs and myself take salmon oil capsules every day. More controlled than trying to keep my fish intake constant.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
3 of my dogs and myself take salmon oil capsules every day. More controlled than trying to keep my fish intake constant.

i just give my dogs (and cats) the cheapest canned paco fish. one cat for the dogs, one can for the cats. i lick the spoon. for i kinda like cheap sardines. you can easily fix them up nicely: fry some onion and garlic in a pan, add a can of sardines, some hot sauce and voila. cheap sardines are good because they are good and cheap :)

May 5, 2007
mackerel (1.8%), lake trout (1.6%), herring (1.5%), sardines (1.4%), albacore tuna (1.3%), salmon (1.1%)
My personal 2 favorites, lake trout (cannot find in DR) and salmon.......
I believe Caballa is Mackerel......also never seen here

Lake trout was only appetizing thing you listed, rest are oily mess :-(

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
i just give my dogs (and cats) the cheapest canned paco fish. one cat for the dogs, one can for the cats. i lick the spoon. for i kinda like cheap sardines. you can easily fix them up nicely: fry some onion and garlic in a pan, add a can of sardines, some hot sauce and voila. cheap sardines are good because they are good and cheap :)

Hadn't thought about that actually. The capsules don't cost me much, about 5 pesos a piece and no mess or arguing over who gets to lick the bowls. When time is of the essence in the morning, capsules are a good option but I'll get them a few cans as treats on the weekend :)

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

Do you debone the cat first :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

I would hate to be a cat at your house.

This whole thread sounds fishy to me!

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I live in a fishing town when in Canada... we are spoiled rotten.... more fish than one could imagine.
When in RD , which is most of the time I take ''Moringa'' which is quite a lot of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory elements.
It grows in RD and really does what the I-net says it can do.
Replaces the need for fish oil.
Russell.

What is Moringa ?