QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO EXPERIENCED A HURRICANE HERE IN THE DR.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I know the wind is a MAJOR factor, but talking about rain and water, does it compare to what we experienced last fall here on the North Coast where we were flooded from Gaspard Hernandez to Puerto Plata ??

And I mean flooded. Like for more than 2 weeks... Just asking you know.

Water, I don't care because like they say, : Been there, done that. Wind, I have a little bit of experience with snow storms in Québec that lasted 2-3 days.

But mostly I just want to know in advance what to expect, not in km/hr but by examples of what might fly around..

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I understand your question is for the people who've experienced a hurricane here,
the following is just my personal experience.

I've never been through a hurricane in the DR. However, I was living in the heart
of New Orleans when Katrina hit and was stuck in the city for about a week afterwards
until the National Guard arrived. Its not the storm you should be concerned about, its the chaos
that comes afterwards.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What would concern me is the risk of looting/robbery in the aftermath....empty houses, etc.
Seems to happen in times of disaster

Charlise,
with all respect to PQ's snowstorms .... they aren't hurricanes
Tighten your chinstrap for this if it passes by

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Hi Charlise, the worst hurricane I experienced was Wilma in 2005 in Fort Lauderdale Florida. It hit as a category III and ripped the roof off the condo I was living in at the time. Destroyed the unit and the building was condemned. Destroyed all of my new furniture and the worse part was living for two weeks without electricity and water. Very uncomfortable and miserable. The actual storm passing was quite interesting until the back side of the eye hit and started ripping the roof off in big sections. The the water pored in. I would be very concerned about looting here in the DR after the passing.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I hate to say this, but if a hurricane hits the north coast, I expect the water to be much deeper/worse than you've personally ever seen. I've seen the aftermath of some of the storms that hit DR, but they were decades ago.

When Sandy hit NJ it wasn't even a hurricane anymore. We were without electricity for a week. I can only imagine how long it might be out in DR under similar circumstances. Trees toppled. Houses collapsed. Several feet of water in homes. [We had 3'].

Stockpile non-perishable foods, be sure you have plenty of propane for cooking and lots of bottled water. Wonderful if you don't need it, but priceless to have it if you do need it. Bring all outdoor furniture into house or enclosed garage, it will sail away otherwise. Ditto pasolas. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. You'll use it all up eventually in any case, so nothing lost.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The actual rainfall at 'ground zero' is minimal compared to what rolls down from them thar hills.

And it will continue to stream down for who knows how long ???

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Alter Ego has pretty much said it all. IF Miss Irma should brush by the North Coast, something that, historically has never happened before, I would imagine that the storm surge would be the key disaster creator. Nothing on the North Coast, in the low-laying area, is prepared for this. The flooding you experienced was from rains, not a TS or hurricane. (And the roads are still not all fixed up.)

Why am I so optimistic? Easy. Look at the oldest buildings in POP or Gaspar Hernandez. They have been there forever...like maybe 100 years.

The really big fear is if it hit the East head-on....then you are speaking of major loss of life, damages in the billions and serious economic consequences for the entire country.

Another scenario that does not seem to follow any of the projected paths, is if it were to go to the South of the DR....Again, catastrophic damages and loss of life..

The late, great president of the republic, Dr. Joaquin Balaguer once said: "The Virgen of Altagracia will protect our country." as a major hurricane bore down upon us. And you know what? She did....it veered to the North, and the country got some rains and big waves.

Keep your fingers crossed and follow AlterEgo's advice and you will be fine.

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
To be honest from what I have heard about George there was no major looting - so am not sure that is the big issue. The worst is the loss of electricity and water services - at least you don't freeze here if the roof blows off. People talk about furniture and stuff being sucked out of houses, and yes flying zinc roofs.

I have only been in a Category 1 and a few tropical storms in Juan Dolio and what surprised me is that one minute it is deadly calm and then they arrive with a bang - it doesn't slowly get windier - suddenly all hell breaks loose.

www.stormcarib.com has a great tool for "how close will it get" and it gives you the time you will start feeling the effects, which i have found to be accurate when there are only a few hours to go.

In the meantime https://www.windy.com/?rain,19.450,-70.700,5 is great for seeing where Irma may go based on latest data.

Matilda

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Thank you all for your answers. So the main concern is to stay safe. Some say lost of electricity could last. Floods last fall (Yasica river came out twice, 2 weekends in a row) and Edenorte had cut the power at first inch of water out of riverbed and the power came back 6 or 7 days later.

Like Matilda said, at least we don't freeze. My kids still remember the ice storm we had in Québec in 1998. The province was without power for a minimum of 5 days (in January, yes sir) and some regions had to wait 1 month...

Anyway, my main concern was to get the most information as possible to be able to focus on main points.

So main target: security. Thanks again

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
After George Juan Dolio was without power for 3 months. So plan for a little longer than a few days. Also remember cell phones and internet may be out for a while so advise friends/family not to panic as you may be out of touch.

Matilda

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
To be honest from what I have heard about George there was no major looting - so am not sure that is the big issue. The worst is the loss of electricity and water services - at least you don't freeze here if the roof blows off. People talk about furniture and stuff being sucked out of houses, and yes flying zinc roofs.

I have only been in a Category 1 and a few tropical storms in Juan Dolio and what surprised me is that one minute it is deadly calm and then they arrive with a bang - it doesn't slowly get windier - suddenly all hell breaks loose.

www.stormcarib.com has a great tool for "how close will it get" and it gives you the time you will start feeling the effects, which i have found to be accurate when there are only a few hours to go.

In the meantime https://www.windy.com/?rain,19.450,-70.700,5 is great for seeing where Irma may go based on latest data.

Matilda
When George hit Bavaro there were not many nice homes to loot. Looting tends to happen in city environments and Bavaro does not have that, whereas other areas in DR do.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I was living in SD when George hit. I had only been in the country for 8 days! The storm had been predicted so people prepared as much as they could ahead of time.
The government had pamphlets written up on what to expect.They placed these in several common places people went. It clearly listed all the supplies you should gather and how to prepare your yard and home. It was all written in Spanish of course. I didn't speak or read Spanish at the time but they had clear pictures on every step.It was very helpful to me. Maybe you could find something like that online to help you prepare.
There was no power or generator in my apartment for months. I moved to JD in January to be in an apartment with water and power from a generator. I had had enough of tin can showers out of a small water bucket.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I know the wind is a MAJOR factor, but talking about rain and water, does it compare to what we experienced last fall here on the North Coast where we were flooded from Gaspard Hernandez to Puerto Plata ??

Water, I don't care because like they say, : Been there, done that. Wind, I have a little bit of experience with snow storms in Québec that lasted 2-3 days.

But mostly I just want to know in advance what to expect, not in km/hr but by examples of what might fly around..

DV8 posted in the weather section a link filled with instructions. Some good advice there. 
Be prepared. You have advanced warning. It is better to be safe than sorry by preparing ahead of time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
085648_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

I lived through Georges in Santo Domingo.

The wind was one thing, but the flooding, lack of basic essntials (electric, food etc) was the worst part of Georges. Best measured in feet over the course of 48hrs, compounded by the lack of sewage or runoff infrastructure.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think it was hurricane in Jeanne 2004 that gave 'birth' to Playa Alicia.

Here's a brief history of some hurricanes in the DR:
http://www.dominican-republic-live....her/hurricane-history-dominican-republic.html

That's a great link, thanks for sharing it. My husband's uncle [his mother's brother] died in the San Zenon hurricane. He went out during the eye to buy some food for the family, thinking the storm was over, and on his way home the wind picked up a sheet of zinc roofing and it killed him.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I was in a mild hurricane (might have even been a tropical storm)in Cuba about 15 years ago. As other people previously stated its the chaos after the storm. Lineups, short supplies, drinking water etc are the biggest problem. During the storm palm leaves and coconuts sailing through the air where very dangerous and tin roofing is like flying knifes. Then came all the stuff floating towards the ocean including rats and snakes.
Overall its a nasty thing to go through.
Good news is that as of 11:00 am today Irma looks like she might miss the DR.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Wind is not the main problem, the flooding is what causes damage.

I had several rentals in St. Petersburg FL all in #1 evacuation zones along the beach. Flood insurance cost 6-8 times what flood insurance cost.