Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Best Places to Live in DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Which Golf courses ? and what green fees do you pay for 18 with a cart?

Hard rock -$ 45 everything included ... Iberostate - $50. Caso de campo - $100. Cocotal -$50 .... the lakes (Barcelo) - $45
    los corrales - $ 100 all with Federation golf card..... heres the web site pal www.fedogolf.org.do

2. Likes chico bill liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I currently have a place in Sosua and another apt in Santiago. I love Sosua a few days a week for the beach and restaurants as well as hanging out with some ex pats and tourists, Santiago is a city I love it has everything a big city has night spots,cafes restaurants and also hospitals and plenty of shopping. It is also not too touristy so its a nice getaway from the beach. Come to think of it Im really spoiled living like this, and it doesnt cost much at all. So I would suggest mix it up.

4. Likes JasonD liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    I've lived in Nagua, Sosua, Santo Domingo and Santiago.
    For me, Santiago is my favorite.
    What made you like Santiago over the other places? I see great rentals there. I'm looking to move to DR early next year and stay somewhere I can have good internet access until I find where I want to live long term.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you think its expensive to live here either you don't get out much or your paying Gringo prices. I think people tend to forget that this is an Island ( rather large one) in the Caribbean. Yet still my house here costs less to run then any of my previous homes in the States and abroad - electric, water, trash removal, cable, wifi, house keeper, gardener, security and my monthly grocery bill combined, plus its larger and nicer. My health insurance is 50.00 per month compared to the 550 I pay in the US> I can roll into any pharmacy and buy antibiotics etc for 10 % the cost in the states - over the counter. Vehicle registration/property tax + vehicle insurance compared to the states.. ha! This is also the only tropical location on this side of the globe where you can safely stroll down to a beautiful beach, plunk down in a lounger and have ice cold beer served to you all day long for 100 peso's per bottle. To say it is expensive to live here is absolutely absurd.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

oftentimes , those who complain about the cost are duplicating (trying to ) their foreign lifestyle.

buying local is MUCH cheaper....
    buy the CA or FL veggies and the price goes up.anything in a foil package , is usually more $$

Stick with local - veg, fish, pork, pollo and life is good

Very close to the optimum diet too... low to zero preservatives..paleo diet sort of

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    oftentimes , those who complain about the cost are duplicating (trying to ) their foreign lifestyle.

buying local is MUCH cheaper....
    buy the CA or FL veggies and the price goes up.anything in a foil package , is usually more $$

Stick with local - veg, fish, pork, pollo and life is good

Very close to the optimum diet too... low to zero preservatives..paleo diet sort of
    Hammer, meet nail.

9. Likes caribmike, Don PISTOLAS liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cruzan1 View Post
    If you think its expensive to live here either you don't get out much or your paying Gringo prices. I think people tend to forget that this is an Island ( rather large one) in the Caribbean. Yet still my house here costs less to run then any of my previous homes in the States and abroad - electric, water, trash removal, cable, wifi, house keeper, gardener, security and my monthly grocery bill combined, plus its larger and nicer. My health insurance is 50.00 per month compared to the 550 I pay in the US> I can roll into any pharmacy and buy antibiotics etc for 10 % the cost in the states - over the counter. Vehicle registration/property tax + vehicle insurance compared to the states.. ha! This is also the only tropical location on this side of the globe where you can safely stroll down to a beautiful beach, plunk down in a lounger and have ice cold beer served to you all day long for 100 peso's per bottle. To say it is expensive to live here is absolutely absurd.
    You are collecting paychecks in USD not DOM Pesos, that makes all differences

11. Likes Don PISTOLAS liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    You are collecting paychecks in USD not DOM Pesos, that makes all differences
    True story. I wouldn't dream of trying to live here and sustain myself off the local economy.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    We paid US$50,000 for a large (very large) house - 2 living rooms, 2 baths, 3 beds, kitchen, utility, study, cellar and dog room lol plus wrap around balcony and 9 tareas. Near Moncion.

Matilda
    How does buying property work in the DR?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112