Best Places to Live in DR

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
This is thread is aimed at regulars who live and have lived around the country to debate and offer advice to others. And also for others who visit regularly and have lived here to chip in with their thoughts too.

I've had a less than pleasant week working away from my current home and have had a few PM's this evening with a regular DR1 contributor who lives in the area, that for me, is proving to be one of the worst parts of the country to live for part of the week. He doesn't like the place where I live either so it struck me a useful debate was possible amongst regular contributors to post their opinions of the better places where they have lived stating the pros (and cons) and the better options for future visitors and long term stayers. And post opinions of where they would consider to be the better paces to live in DR.

It is easy for me to say go Samana, Las Terrenas and Las Galleras. Done that but I don't want to be a perpetual tourist. Great place and I am sure that some will argue the case.

And so especially the East Coast and also North Coast will not appeal either to me for the longer term. But I'm not the average joe.

Going west from SD has some great chilled out possibilities and we have a sprinkling of members who should chip in and promote their part of the world (less one valuable contributor who recently departed from the community RIP). I love the mountains and especially in the South West but there are other regulars that will promote the northern mountain valleys too.

I have a liking for SD despite it's flaws but the proximity of some wonderful country makes it even better. Have lived to the north west towards Bonao and that is lovely country but the area I will promote now is Monte Plata province. Best of all worlds imo.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Great thread. We have lived in only two places, Santo Domingo and Juan Dolio since 2007. I'm a big city type of guy so obviously for me Santo Domingo is great. I love the many restaurants, nightlife and crazy people that you always find in big cities. We also really enjoyed a short 9 month stay in Juan Dolio. To me it reminded me a little of South Beach in Miami, Florida (poor mans version of South Beach). I have visited almost every part of the DR and my favorite place to visit and possibly live in the future is Las Tarrenas. Very beautiful place and just enough action to keep me from getting bored.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As a non big city person I hate Santo Domingo. I even hate going there for the several reasons the government has that can only be done by going there. It is not just the horrible traffic. If someone paid me just to live in Santo Domingo and not have to do any work, I would not take them up on it.

I have visited Las Terrenas. Too many French people there. Visited Samana once and were supposed to spend the night. Samana, for some reason, creeped out my wife so much we drove home. We have visited Jarabacoa many times to visit family members. It is OK, but neither of us would want to live there despite my wife being born there.

We live in Cabarete and have for 14 years since I moved to the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Don't write off the north coast as 'Tourist'.... it definitely is not .

Sure - POP, Sosua & Cabarete ... the port area, etc....

Nagua is no tourist trap, I assure you

It is a very long stretch of low density population with several beaches and towns.
Notably Gaspar Hernandez, Rio San Juan, Cabrera, Payita, Nagua.... and many smaller in between
Very few hotels....

Worth a look- IMO

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We personally like to live near the beach. We've been in a beach town since the late 70s, but this place [San Cristobal province, west of SD] has become less and less appealing the past few years. We both like the Dominicus/Bayahibe area, and may end up there.

I've always been a city girl, Manhattan is my favorite city in the world, so I like being near to SD. Mr.AE, who grew up in Santo Domingo, is a country boy. That we both love Dominicus says a lot.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
City fan I prefer Santo Domingo so far because of the amenities. I work online from home and in SD I have 24 h power, the fastest internet etc. etc.

I have lived before in (sorted chronological):

Luperon
Maria La O Sosua
Puerto Plata (Urb Atlantica, Cerro Alto)
Bavaro (Veron, Pueblo Bavaro)
Higuey (Luisa Perla)
Santo Domingo (Miramar)
Santo Domingo (Los Restauradores) now

Most beautiful parts (not for living but for the landscape) for me are Samana and the SW but by far the most beautiful part is the SW, went all the way from SD to Pedernales recently.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012

It is a very long stretch of low density population with several beaches and towns.
Notably Gaspar Hernandez, Rio San Juan, Cabrera, Payita, Nagua.... and many smaller in between
Very few hotels....

Worth a look- IMO

And don't forget, Sabaneta de Yasica, my place for the last 2.5 years. Before I lived in Munoz and Puerto Plata.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have lived in Juan Dolio, Esperanza and now in a campo near Moncion. I would not want to live anywhere else than where I live now. I have visited the whole country and adore the south west which I have visited often as my husband is from Barahona. I also like Las Terrenas and hate Santo Domingo.

The problem is that there are so many things to consider about where to live and it also comes down to what you need and/or want. Where I live now there are no motoconchos - you need a car, or a donkey or you walk. In addition there is no supermarket, little cell phone signal, no vet, and you have to speak Spanish so it is not for everyone.

If you love great restaurants you would not want to live here either - there is only one place which serves only stewed goat.

Funnily enough I only ended up here as I started a thread on DR1 back in 2010 when I was looking for somewhere new to live and to leave Juan Dolio and listed my requirements - no tourists, nice friendly people, low crime, near mountains rather than beach and around an hour from a major city with hospitals and an airport. Someone mentioned Mao, so we came and sussed it out, and that's how we ended up here as Mao is 20 minutes from where I live now.

Matilda

Reactions: lucanunez

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've lived in Nagua, Sosua, Santo Domingo and Santiago.
For me, Santiago is my favorite.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is enough for everyone in RD.

A wide selection to suit all tastes and budgets.

That's one of the great things about the country...
to say nothing of the elbow room afforded to all !!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I would say that a huge factor is to be away from the noise. It is getting harder and harder.

Reactions: Fiji

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have lived in Cabarete for seven years and so far I'm happy here. From my visits to the DR's cities, I wouldn't like to live in any of them. Even Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone is nothing compared to many old cities I have visited in Europe. Inland country is beautiful but I think I might get bored there. If I wasn't living here I might consider Bayahibe or Las Terrenas.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
For me is Santiago, it has everything I need and want plus is not far away from beautiful mountains and beaches. But perhaps I am biased being a Santiaguero de pura cepa which comes with a ridiculous pride and being raised in the city.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

Very few hotels....

Worth a look- IMO

I concur and Nagua can be fun too. I think you have found one of the better coastal locations when all things considered.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
What is attracting me to Monte Plata is the lovely rolling hills and lush valleys and it is only an hour or so from the capital and the city essentials.

Apparently as I read, there are more millionaires living in Monte Plata than other provinces and I assume National District is excluded. I can believe it.

My lady's abuela and tias/tios live in a very modest location to the north of Monte Plata town and West of Sabana so I have the opportunity to explore.

Where I previously lived in the campo was a short mule trek to the top of the ridge of hills that run alongside the east side of Autopista Duarte north of Villa Altagracia. I discovered it is the line between San Cristobel and Monte Plata provinces. Did that trek by foot several times to what was my ex-esposas home of birth in those Monte Plata lovely hills without a road in sight.

El Mayimbe

Jan 25, 2015
Great post. I've been to Rio San Juan, Cabarete, Sosua, San Pedro, La Romana, Juan Dolio and Quisqueya. I prefer the small town. My wife is from Quisqueya so one day we'll probably return there to live.