Packages / Shipments and Irma heading for Florida

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Does anybody hear/received communication or know anything from their freight forwarding company regarding their operations and receiving packages now Irma is headed to Miami?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I imagine the chain might get interrupted.

Most if not all stuff I order from Amazon comes via Jacksonville to Miami. Did not order the last ten days. Had it coming. Irma won't blow anything I ordered away. Take that, biat... :D

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I saw earlier today a notice that the US Post Office has suspended all deliveries to Florida beginning yesterday, I believe, until further notice.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Received this today.

Capture.jpg

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Gray areas

You should expect Dominican island operations will open as usual on normal business days. However, Freight forwarding terminals operating in Miami will be shuttered for the storm duration. Any item in stateside transit to Miami will be stopped. The land/air carriers will do it to protect the cargo and reduce liability.

If fgt fwd terminals are damaged in any manner preventing them from operating, they usually have contingency plans to notify inland carriers to send cargo to other undamaged freight forwarding terminals, to include those of competitors for ultimate forwarding to the DR. Cargo that is already at the Miami fgt fwdr location will be held for transit to the DR when conditions allow. However, if the terminal and cargo are damaged, most likely the Domincan agent will notify the receivers of what remedies are available and ask for feedback. Note: being real, don't expect concrete answers.

If there is no reasonable response from the forwarder or agent there are some options.

Notify shipper and ask for a refund.
Notify credit card company and ask for refund. if possible

If a cash purchase or cargo from family or friends or other:
With insurance - file a claim.
Without insurance - file a claim with the carrier.
and this is the very gray area. You have to find out who was in possession of the shipment. Was it the trucker, the air carrier, or was it the freight forwarder and beyond ?

In simple terms

The trucker provides a refund, as long as it is not an item of extraordinary value. Refunds on extraordinary value is by formula.
The air carrier will provide a liability refund based upon rate, weight, and taxes.
The freight forwarder is more difficult refund prospect as it has limited liability.
Be aware any claim should include the product, preparation, documentation, and freight costs.

Finally you have to consider an "Act of God". A claim against a carrier can be made if his neglegence to protect cargo in the face of a natural disaster results in damage or loss. That is to say, if the carrier knowingly transports cargo into the storm, not protect it in a safe place, he is liable for the amount what law and regulation allows.

Regards,

PJT

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Vimenpaq is not shipping to DR until Miami airport resumes normal operation again. Just had a call with them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Miami airport hopes to open today with limited flights. I am expecting a weeks delay on things.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Miami airport hopes to open today with limited flights. I am expecting a weeks delay on things.

Yes, depends what flights will leave from and what freight flights will come in to Miami.

Amazon told me shipping to Miami at the moment will take 5 - 8 days.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From Encargopaq just now:

A todos nuestros clientes: Queremos informarles el status de nuestras operaciones en el almacén de Miami, luego del paso del huracán Irma.  Estamos abiertos pero Operativamente cerrados, por lo siguiente: Los carriers(UPS, FEDEX, USPS) aun no han reanudado sus operaciones. Los puertos y aeropuertos de la ciudad de Miami continuan cerrados. Los servicios(luz electrica, telefonos e internet) en el aerea de Medley, aun no estan restablecidos. Gracias a Dios no sufrimos ningún daño en nuestras oficinas, sin embargo bajo las circunstancias actuales no estamos en la capacidad de operar. Lamentamos mucho los retrasos causados por este fenómeno. Confiamos en que pronto se restablecerán los servicios y podremos operar de manera normal. Los mantendremos informados.