What's your number one problem living in the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
For mi....the climate.

I just love our north-european climate... The scottish climate would be ideal for me.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Number 1 problem ? People's mentality and mindset - took us a while to adjust 

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The health system. When people in countries like the UK complain I think they don't know how lucky they are.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
The lack of education at all levels. Most people are complete ignorant and they never learned to actually use their brains. Their mentality and mindset is a direct result of ignorency and that is devastating for almost everything in this country. It would take generations to change this mainly because the supposed well educated part of the population is uneducated compared to the population in other modern countries. And they don't want to learn because of some stupid pride - " we know best - how dare they come an teach us"
I don't want to offend anybody - it is just a fact - an incredible sad fact.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
The lack of respect and caring for other people that Dominicans have. For example, cutting in lines (which I don't allow) and stopping in the middle of the street, blocking it so traffic can't pass, just to talk to somebody or get out and get something from a Colmado. This is what bothers me most, the fact that no one thinks of, or cares, about the other.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The lack of respect and caring for other people that Dominicans have. For example, cutting in lines (which I don't allow) and stopping in the middle of the street, blocking it so traffic can't pass, just to talk to somebody or get out and get something from a Colmado. This is what bothers me most, the fact that no one thinks of, or cares, about the other.

i do not understand it, myself. i have been around many different ethnicities and nationalities in my lifetime, and Dominicans seem to have less than zero regard for the next guy. some weeks ago, i was awakened by a racket in front of my apartment at about 12.30am. i went to check, and it was caused by a large group of guys, who had set up a barbecue, and a table full of booze. on the sidewalk!! after midnight!! i asked them how they believed that such an action was reasonable, and how they believed that the dwellers in the building could get any sleep. they picked up their stuff, and mover to parts unknown to me.

i just wondered how they could have done it in the first place.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That's one of the reasons they cause so many problems when moving to other countries.

i remember Dominicans in the Bronx who would double park and block guys in near to nightclubs. when you got done partying, you had to scour apartment buildings trying to find them, so they could move their cars to let you out. it was unbelievable.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The noise level. That goes together with lack of respect for other people. Loud music, hence being almost deaf and having to speak very loud. It is getting harder and harder to get away from the noise.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I don't know if this is endemic to Santo Domingo but to me, the constant in-your-face begging from children to adults of all ages. It is beginning to grate on me. I'm used to seeing people at gas stations and freeway on/off ramps holding signs asking for help or willing to work for food etc. and I had the option of not reading them; not here. It's not just from people with tattered clothes, barefoot and dirty, that, I can understand and have no problem letting go of small change since I don't like carrying too many coins anyway. I had to stop and tell a young man to stop walking next to me asking for help because I was not in a good mood. He didn't understand "no tengo", "otro dia".

Status
Not open for further replies.