Do you think....

slokum

Jun 9, 2016
Do you think with all the destruction of a lot of the Caribbean islands that their tourists will flock to Dominican Republic in the high season?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Do you think with all the destruction of a lot of the Caribbean islands that their tourists will flock to Dominican Republic in the high season?

That sounds like a realistic positive point for sure! Now only if they have a good experience while here.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Doubt it.

Those that visited St Martin/St Barts will likely go to the Dutch ABC (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao) islands instead or French Guadalupe or Martinique.

Those that visited Anguilla and BVI will find new destinations in TCI, Antigua, St Kitts & Nevis and the Windwards....other English speaking destinations.

Those who visited St Thomas will likely opt for St Croix instead.

Barbuda didn't have a tourist industry except the private shareholders of the club destroyed.

Different types of tourists to those that visit DR were affected.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think we may have more cruise ships as some will have to change their routes. My mother is due to go on a cruise in December and was supposed to be visiting a couple of the Virgin Isles as well as St. Martin.

Matilda

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I think we may have more cruise ships as some will have to change their routes. My mother is due to go on a cruise in December and was supposed to be visiting a couple of the Virgin Isles as well as St. Martin.

Matilda

That is a possibility and much will depend on the state of St Thomas.

St Martin is definitely out of play for some time and the logical revised ports of call would be Basseterre, St Kitts and St Johns, Antigua which are both under used and even Roseau in Dominica. Cruisers like the island experiences, the calypso, soca, etc. and DR cant replace that and is a good days cruising away north.

DR may benefit short term because of any damage to the cruise terminal in Grand Turk and island.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i doubt it. DR is a cheap destination. the small islands offered higher class holidays. those who forked out serious money on tropical vacation will go to other islands offering luxurious accommodation rather than DR.

Tomtom

Sep 20, 2017
Don‘t forget the many tourists, which normally goin‘ to Cuba... 
Here in Germany, many people said, they‘ve changing their Xmas vacation from Cuba to DR... 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
'Flock' may not be the right word but Yes, I would expect an increase in visits.

The other points are valid but not all travelers are that discerning

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The simple fact is that the choices are narrowed and the DR should expect an uptick in tourists numbers. How much, how discerning the tourist might be is guesswork. You want a beach, warm weather you look at the narrowed list of choices.
If you want to talk discerning look at the big numbers that go to Florida. How undiscerning do you have to be to pick Florida?
Gotta agree with WW there are undiscerning tourists looking to warm up.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The simple fact is that the choices are narrowed and the DR should expect an uptick in tourists numbers. How much, how discerning the tourist might be is guesswork. You want a beach, warm weather you look at the narrowed list of choices.
If you want to talk discerning look at the big numbers that go to Florida. How undiscerning do you have to be to pick Florida?

hilarious too bad it's true....

it will be quite a while before the Caribbean is 'up & running' again.

ju10's point overlooks the fact that perhaps all the displaced tourists may not fit into the few remaining resorts

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

Even in Florida the number one tourist destination for one visit and never go back is the Florida Keys and they were devastated. Cuba was damaged but may recover quicker.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Punta Cana will get a bump. But Biff and Buffy will not be strolling the sidewalks of Sosua this winter, window shopping as they winter on Pedro C.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Let's not forget all those who would have gone to Puerto Rico, they have a huge challenge there, maybe more so than Cuba. 

I agree with others who have said it will benefit Punta Cana most. 

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Let's not forget all those who would have gone to Puerto Rico, they have a huge challenge there, maybe more so than Cuba. 

I agree with others who have said it will benefit Punta Cana most. 

Would never go to PR for vacation. Have been several times for work, which was fine, because I was getting paid. The beaches aren't that great, the congestion reminds me of SDQ, and the crime is out of control in the cities. Have to get to the countryside to get away from it.
Must admit, I do enjoy Loiza and Santurce.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I think it will be more about what country are the tourists coming from. Like Tomtom says Germans will likely change from Cuba to RD. Many Canadians will do the same. But there may not be a deluge of Tourists. My estimation is a conservative 3% increase this year over last year.
Barbados is a high end Tourist Destination ; not sure what damage they sustained.... Lots of very wealthy people vacation there . They may pick up a few stragglers from the displaced tourists.
Jamaica is another destination popular with Canadians .... usually ( in Atlantic Canada) friends who go to RD have friends who possibly went to ST. Martin will invite the friends to join them in RD for a vacation.
Its a ''Turkey shoot'' at best.
I think I will check with a friend who owns a travel agency to hear what he says about the situation. I will do that in November when most winter bookings are already made.
Russell