conch?

repoman1

Apr 6, 2016
Hello, does anyone know anything about the conch fishermen in pop? do they harvest somewhere out of pop or are they brought in from elsewhere? is there a marina that the local commercial fishermen dock there boats? is there any boats that will take you out to get them? any info would be great. thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If memory serves me correctly, there is a ban on conch/lambi right now, maybe until the end of October???

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
If memory serves me correctly, there is a ban on conch/lambi right now, maybe until the end of October???

Absolutely right. I just googled the exact dates for the ban in DR: July 1 to October 31st.

Lets be respectful of the environment if nothing else, even if others are not. We should know better. That means no diving for them, no buying it from anyone, no ordering it in restaurants.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
could have fooled me, I see them selling it all the time .

I'm sure you have, there are always those who think the laws aren't for them. Same thing happens every year during the lobster ban. And then they'll wonder what happened to all the conch/lobsters/etc. after they're overfished.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm sure you have, there are always those who think the laws aren't for them. Same thing happens every year during the lobster ban. And then they'll wonder what happened to all the conch/lobsters/etc. after they're overfished.

Jamaica has a host of things about the country that really tick me off, but here is something about the place i love...

the fine for catching a lobster in the closed season is 3 million Jamaican dollars, plus 6 months in jail.

they do not play. catch an undersized lobster, 6 months, too.

maybe the DR has to take these types of measures, or these creatures are going to go extinct here.