Mobility Service Dog - What to Expect

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I have Parkinson's Disease, which means I have some shaking and other issues, but by far, the most frustrating thing I have to deal with is getting stuck...basically, I'll be walking just fine and come to a door or some other obstacle and my feet glue themselves to the ground. As you might imagine, crossing a busy street can be very scary. Even if I start across just fine, I might very well get stuck in the middle. The other thing that worries me is falling, which I do anytime I get the least bit off balance. I am considering getting a large dog (possibly a Great Dane) to be a mobility service dog. The dog, once trained, would behave very well, ignoring most distractions and would have a special harness and handle to help me. In the U.S., I couldn't be refused entry anywhere, even a hospital. I wouldn't even have to describe my disability, although mine is fairly obvious. My question for DR1 folks is: How do you think I would be treated here with a large dog at my side, even with signs in Spanish saying that the dog is to help me and that people shouldn't bother him? Do you think, for example, that Scotiabank would let me inside with the dog? They know me and my problem, but I wonder. Also, La Sirena? Ordinarily, dogs are banned. There's no point in having a dog to help if no one will allow him inside.... Although it would be nice to be able to walk on the beach again. A cane just does not work in the sand. Try to be nice, but also be honest. Thanks!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Sounds like it would be a great help for you but as you've mentioned, dogs are normally banned from most institutions. I personally don't recall having seen any service dogs in the DR up to now. However, UNIBE in Santo Domingo is starting to train people and dogs to be service animals so they might be a good group to reach out to. Or you can look up Salvador Alba on Facebook so he can put you in contact. He's a great dog trainer that we've got in the Punta Cana area and was very much involved in the first group.

Added on: Here's the link to the poster with the names of the organizations involved https://www.facebook.com/ADATS.Rep....1610696226925/597591880628803/?type=3&theater

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
an interesting question ...
given how so many Dominicans avoid dogs -- large or small

I'm curious to hear some official results

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the only service dogs i have seen here so far are search and rescue dogs and drug sniffing dogs at airports. i doubt that many places in DR would welcome a dog inside - especially a giant like great dane. many people are scared of dogs here and i have seen kids outright panic confronted with our pomeranian, who is about as big as a wig. you may be better off having a dog (smaller breed, maybe) as your house/neighbourhood companion and hiring a maid/driver for outings.
good luck, wish you the best. it ain't easy being disabled in DR.

forgot to add: i think you live in costambar? this area is generally dog friendly. there would be no problem walking with a dog on a beach and entering most bars/restaurants.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Thanks for the suggestions on people/groups to check with! Huge help. More input/ideas welcome!

Yes, dv8, I'm in Costambar. I think I'd be fine here, but a walk on the beach is really not enough reason to get, train and keep such an large dog. I'm also still trying to figure out how my Bichon would adjust. She's 15 but she'll be around another couple of years. She's my baby and isn't going anywhere. The big dog would likely ignore here and she it but she'll be mad if I take it places and she has to stay home. She already doesn't like being left but she's too old to walk very far and I can't carry her anymore! :) Life can be so complicated and yet so simple! :)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We had a Great Dane called Tyson and he would come everywhere with us and was welcomed into restaurants with outdoor seating, colmados etc. He would shake everyone's hand with his paw and Dominicans loved him. They all wanted their picture taken with him and he would even dance bachata with the ladies with his front paws on their shoulders.

Matilda

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
We had a Great Dane called Tyson and he would come everywhere with us and was welcomed into restaurants with outdoor seating, colmados etc. He would shake everyone's hand with his paw and Dominicans loved him. They all wanted their picture taken with him and he would even dance bachata with the ladies with his front paws on their shoulders.

Matilda

Yes, i can just picture that. He might be so big they don't think of him as a dog but as a little horse, which of course, makes him very loveable. I'm not getting a puppy...too hard to start with and too boisterous, but maybe one two or three years old, fully grown but still very trainable.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DR is generally not disability friendly but people are. a good solution for you would be to ask for help when necessary. i have seen motoconcho guys carry kids and bags across the street close to the hospital and halt the traffic to help old folks cross the road there. you can easily ask one of those dudes to accompany you into the bank/store. reward them for their time, 50-100-200 pesos, depending on what they did. if you use taxis, ask the driver to go with you wherever you need to go.

la sirena has those motor carts and you can get one of the staff to help you around the store too. in jose luis, ask a bag boy to help you around.

and finally, a maid/nurse/carer can be hired relatively cheaply. consider your options. it all depends on how much and how often you get around.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Actually, I have found the people I come into contact with very helpful. I usually carry my cane (although it won't help if I really start to fall) and I get priority at the bank, which is great since standing for a long time is painful. And the motoconchos at Jose Luis are very helpful in halting traffic if I'm crossing from the bank to the grocery. I've even had cars block the street so that I could cross both lanes safely. Right now, I'm still driving myself and I like that independence but I'm planning for the future. The guys at Jose Luis are great. Much preferred to La Sirena where I have to ask for help. But La Sirena has designated parking. I think the country as a whole is realizing the problem with disabled people...especially expats and tourists.....

DR is generally not disability friendly but people are. a good solution for you would be to ask for help when necessary. i have seen motoconcho guys carry kids and bags across the street close to the hospital and halt the traffic to help old folks cross the road there. you can easily ask one of those dudes to accompany you into the bank/store. reward them for their time, 50-100-200 pesos, depending on what they did. if you use taxis, ask the driver to go with you wherever you need to go.

la sirena has those motor carts and you can get one of the staff to help you around the store too. in jose luis, ask a bag boy to help you around.

and finally, a maid/nurse/carer can be hired relatively cheaply. consider your options. it all depends on how much and how often you get around.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

Matilda

I have witnessed this. Beautiful friendly dog. 

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
judypdr
Good luck in your search for a service dog.
I suggest you think smaller dog. A mutt type dog. People are less intimidated by them. In the US smaller/mid sized friendly looking dogs are trained for service dogs.
A business is more likely to allow a smaller friendlier looking service dog into their establishment.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

Matilda

Now, that's just wrong, on every level.