Sirius Satellite Radio on Nort Coast ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I know Sirius works to a degree in Puerto Rico but there are also terrestrial repeaters there. Has anyone had any luck with it on the North Coast. For example can you drive from Caberete to POP without losing signal ?
I am going to have to buy a new car and some of them come with factory KIA radio capability.
I'd love to have it but only if it really works.
I have heard it does work in Punta Cana but does have limitations

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
works all over the island for me.... has for years.

No problem at all

Is is radio in your vehicle William and do you have a higher end model vehicle with top end radio? I'm looking a Kia and Hyundai SUVs and many late models come equipped with Sirius, but I wonder if the lower end brands have as sophisticated radios as say a Yukon or Pilot. Is it the same to set up service with Sirius as in the states via internet or phone and credit card and do they accept DR card ? I can not say the Sirius service I had in Puerto Rico was anywhere as close to what was in the states - quite spotty.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
mine is an add-on... the Stratus6 or 7 which was offered thru my Sirius-XM subscription.

Not very sophisticated, antenna magnet on the roof, unit plugged manually into the radio.
Gets decent reception .. hills & trees can block it at times.

Very satisfactory.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have a Toyota and the sat radio although says Sirius XM, actually only works with XM which has no footprint over the DR.

I had a Sirius receiver with an aftermarket Kenwood receiver and it worked very well.

I may look into a solution where I can change the stock XM receiver for a Sirius one and still keep the factory stereo and interface.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I have an old Sirius portable radio in Samana and it works well with my US subscription.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
• The Lynx and Edge radios are on the SiriusXM platform and receive SiriusXM packages.
• The Onyx and XM3pi radios are on the XM platform and receive XM packages.
• The Sportster and Starmate radios are on the Sirius platform and receive Sirius packages.

As far as I know, anything with XM will not work in the DR. You have to get one of the older Sportster or Starmate models. They receive signal from different satellites. I once bought a SiriusXM receiver and was assured by the salesmen at BestBuy its a Sirius model, but after installing in the DR I got no signal and found out it was actually an XM model.