Taytota (Chayote)

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I was just wondering which different ways can you make this? I ate in while I stayed in the D.R., in salad and in this orange sauce. I just bought one and don't know how to make it! Can anyone help?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I cut mine in half ,then each half in 3 pcs. Remove the seed and the peel. Then boil like a potato until the desired softness is reached (depends on what you are doing with it). I put it cleaned and diced in soups, par-boiled in cold veg. salads, diced raw in stir fries, or cooked hot, with a garlic,lemon sauce.

Any way you eat it....Enjoy!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We've started cooking our vegetables by steaming rather than boiling. Chayota is one of the things we steam until tender enough to eat.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I'd much rather steam also....easier to get it cooked but still crispy!

Know where I can buy a steamer in the DR. Ken?? I used to have a little basket type steamer that went into a larger pot (caldera) but it bit the rust last yr so now I'm back to BOIL,boil,boil!!! LOL

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Did anyone notice that the title of this thread is "Tay-to-ta"? Hee hee, that is pretty funny...

I *like* tayota, but, really, not a whole lot of flavour going on. It's okaay, I guess. Not my fave.

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Ha, ha, whoops!!!!!! Thanks for the correction Jane and all of the ideas! I can't wait to eat it.......mmmmmmmmm.........

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Jane J is right.....

not much flavour by itself but it does have lots of nutrition and picks up the flavour of whatever else you're mixing it with.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Mommc,

You asked about the small steaming basket (which is what we use). They can be purchased in the DR. My wife remembers getting ours in one of the larger supermarkets that sells other things beside what is normally sold in a supermarket.

Surprised it rusted out. Ours has lasted a long time and, supposedly, is made of stainless steel.

They are great. The vegetables are better for you, besides tasing better. The boiling, as you know, removes most of the nutrients. Also, as you mentioned, you can't get crispy vegetables that are cooked when you boil.

Good luck,

Ken

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks

I'll look next time in SD.......
We live right on the beach and EVERYTHING rusts!! Even the stainless (altho' the really good stainless just gets small spots that can be scrapped off with a scrub pad then leaves a small "pit" in the metal).
I have a large stainless steamer pot that is kinda like a double boiler (sits on a ledge inside it's companion pot) but it's too big for just a small amount of steaming. It's great when I have company but impractical when there's just the two of us.

Our water supply is semi-salty from the seawater filtration through the coral and I get rust spots on cloths that don't come out (from the washing machine or maybe the tap or pump???).
Any suggestions??? Lime juice doesn't work nor does vinegar!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
there is a gourmet cookery place here that has some of theose chinese basket steamers. I'll find out how much they are. Too bad I didn't see this earlier i could have sent you a little one I have....

I'll see if my friend has left. ,,,,Gee, you are in luck, my friend Anthony will be going to Metro tomorrow and Sunday and he will have your steamer. It is the flower type and can hold up to a whole cauliflower or broccoli head...
Use it....

E-mail me and I'll send you his cell phone so you can get in touch with him there at metro tomorrow.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pib, dear goddess, I agree with you. However I have seen it used in interesting ways by oriental cooks..Think I might experiment with it?? Hummm..

food for thought,

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Meredith, HB

It's great in a stir fry and I added some tonight to the veggie mix I use in my omelettes. Adds a nice "crunch" and absorbs the flavour of the other ingredients.....
Try it! You'll like it!

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
I tryed it in my stirfry, hmmm..... don't think I did it right. Is it supposed to be that crunchy? Maybe, I should have boiled it first! Thanks for all the replys!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Steam or Boil first...

It should be just starting to get transparent. I "fry" mine for the stir-fry with a bit of oil and chicken broth for a few minutes before adding the other ingredients...