What you are doing to prep for Maria?

• I'm invincible. Bring it on and more.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Maria prep.

Perhaps Nels or someone can set this up better. (I know that they can.) I think it would be interesting to get a general idea of what people are doing to get ready for Maria. Given that Irma was kind, did that change your thinking? Give the area/location of where you are plz.

What you are doing to prep for Maria?
1. What's a "Maria"?
2. Nothing, not going to bother me... I can't be bothered.
3. Little. Some prep. Extra 6 pack.
4. Some prep. We have extra stuff for a couple of days.
5. Med. prep. Shutters and extra food and water for a few days.
6. Big prep. Bring her on. Closed up, extra fuel and 2 weeks of food and water.
7. I'm invincible. Bring it on and more.

(ya! I know that I'm a 7. At least in my head I am.)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
cars are filled up. gas tanks filled up. pantry stocked. tomorrow is baking day where i prep supplies for us and the family.
windows are not boarded and no extra preparations carried outside.
so level 4, i guess? apart from the fact that food and water would last us 2 weeks or more, if need be.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I guess I am a 3, bought a little extra food, wine, beer and water. Ready to hunker down

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
by the scale ---- 5 in Cabrera

Can't do much more.... roof solar panels are tucked behind the main roof, opposite side to ocean (1/4-1/2 mi away)
100M on a cliff, in a swale protected from winds from the east.
Hurricane proof (untested) windows/doors..

No structural damage last time

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Extra 5 gallon of water. Gas for the little Honda generator and cooking gas bottle filled. Fruit, Corn Flakes with shelf-life milk, peanut butter and bread and several bags of chips and a boat-load of Ramen soup supplied in cabinets. Claro dish tied down with rope. Laundry and sheets and towels washed and drying. Three hail Marys and two Our Fathers (I'm not even Catholic) - and a fresh bottle of Ron Barcelo Imperial - which can be tolerated without ice. So bring it on Maria, and please blow down my neighbor's obnoxious tree, which dirties my pool with nasty white fuzz. :) - and all in his yard

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
7 fer sure

wish I had left the plywood on from Irma, though

this time I'm "buying" plywood instead of "renting" plywood, I won't be caught scrambling for wood and installation ever again

I'm a mega over prepper, decades in Florida will do that to you

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I still had the furniture and electronics from downstairs in my living-room upstairs so just to bring inside a couple of 5 gal. of water, bring the cat litters upstairs and we are in business... Kinda fed-up thought... Hope that's the last... I don't appreciate the disturbances in my routine...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
4-5. I think this is the most preparations we've made in my 18 years here - I arrived the year after hurricane Georges.

Extra food supplies and drinking water, candles and matches
Filled several emergency water receptacles
Vehicle has full tank
Set up auto-reply on email in case we lose power/internet
Took down perspex sheets from roof terrace pergola as were likely to fly
Some protection on doors and windows but not boarded up
Valuables and documentation in plastic bags, also made sure we have some ready cash

Thinking of investing in hurricane shutters.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A mix of 5 & 6 here. Lots of easy to prepare food. Most can be eaten cold if need be. Lots of drinking water - not just for the storm, as a course of habit I have 15+ bottles on hand at any given time. Didn't board up the windows, not my house and the landlord wasn't interested in paying. We have a staged plan. If the house is compromised, we retreat to a fortified bedroom. If that is insufficient we have a large windowless closet with a strong door and concrete walls as a 2nd alternative.

Just received a real telephone call from call from the Govt of Canada. They said they are calling all Canadians to urge them to leave on extra flights scheduled for tomorrow. I informed them that we would be staying and they promised to call back after the storm to see how we made out.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Threads successfully merged and the poll successfully added.

Continue...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
As a survivor of David and Georges in Santo Domingo, every June I grease up the shutters and make sure they all close well. The shutters (said to withstand winds of 250kph) we bought many years ago when we decided it would be much cheaper to buy these than to continue to pay for hurricane insurance. Has worked out that way. But come to think about it... if a Hurricane 5 were to cross through Santo Domingo, would think the insurance would work, don't think the shutters would hold out to 300kph + winds.

This year, with the threat of Irma, bought plywood planks to put on some glass windows that are not covered by the shutters. Didn't get to install them for Irma, and neither have put them up for Maria. For Irma I brought in a glass table top, so far have left it out. Takes only 15 minutes to get together three people to bring it in (it is heavy).

My building is good... receives water from street pipe line and also has its own well. We also have a big power plant. For Irma made sure we were full with propane gas (centrally distributed) and diesel for the power plant. So did nothing for Maria.

For Irma also lowered all the art frames in my apartment. Haven't done that this time.

With all the discussions on the DR1 Forums about the solar panels... would consider taking them down if a hurricane 3+ were scheduled to hit. Right now haven't done so.

The trampoline on our terrace got disassembled for Irma. But haven't removed the terrace potters. If the forecast changes today as it moves across Puerto Rico, then would complete preparations for Hurricane 3+.

I think even if a hurricane doesn't hit, it is good to prepare. It serves as a drill to be aware of what needs to be done to be ready for when the hurricane really comes.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Conditions in neighboring Puerto Rico:

[video=youtube;Cz33VZkRo10]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz33VZkRo10[/video]

The western edge of the hurricane's cloud cover is already over the eastern extreme of the DR. It extends westward to about San Pedro / Hato Mayor / Sabana de la Mar / Samaná.

Plenty of tourists in Bavaro are probably not happy they can't sun tan today. Should had gone to Puerto Plata! lol

Last edited:

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We have done everything that we can. Didn't get the shutters up on a couple of windows but we don't use that area much and ... it could use redecorating. I just kicked my workers out and told them to go home and take care of whatever they need to do. Come back to work when they, family and friends are safe and taken care of.

Now the waiting begins. Again!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not the best tanning weather here today. Bits of sun between cloudy periods. More cloud than sun.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We're boarding up windows now. Better safe than sorry. Let's hope they work in the same way as taking an umbrella in case of rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm with you Sunny Solar

Exposed solar panels down this morning
DISH TV dish down --- AGAIN!!

Main man & his little family moving in tonight.

Dogs & cats still kicking..........

Like the old Timex Watch commercial

Takes a licking & keeps on ticking....