Types of Firearms in the DR

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
One of my cats was killed yesterday. Without going into details, it appears to be a gunshot wound with a clean entry hole maybe 3/16" or a tad less in diameter, about the size of a .22. There was no exit wound. There was little blood on the outside and he hemmoraged to death. Prior to the autopsy, the vet could find at least a 6" entry path.

We don't see how anyone could "spike" a cat with such a tiny diameter spear.

We have ordered an autopsy to try to find the bullet, the theory being if it came from a legal firearm we could track the owner. We've had two cats die in the last month, but we never found the other. This cat died in my arms on the way to the vet, who I doubt could have saved him anyway.

I've seen shotguns and 9mm all over the DR. But how common is a .22? I'm not sure I've seen one. A 9mm would have made a much larger hole as well as an exit wound on a cat.

Anybody know?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've seen shotguns and 9mm all over the DR. But how common is a .22? I'm not sure I've seen one. A 9mm would have made a much larger hole as well as an exit wound on a cat.

Anybody know?

Rifles aren't allowed in DR, but we know of a couple of people with .22 cal rifles within walking distance of our DR house. Since they're illegal [rifle], there would be no ballistic report on them. Different story if it was a handgun.

P.S. Sorry about your kitty, we identify with you.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would think that anything smaller than a 9mm would be very rare if legal given how hard it is to get and keep a license.

Could it have been from an air pistol shooting a BB or pellet?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I would think that anything smaller than a 9mm would be very rare if legal given how hard it is to get and keep a license.

Could it have been from an air pistol shooting a BB or pellet?
Could be. We'll know if the vet finds something. But the entry wound was at least 5-6" deep. Seems to be a lot of power for a pellet gun.

The wound is larger than a BB, and a BB would not have gone that deep.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Could be. We'll know if the vet finds something. But the entry wound was at least 5-6" deep. Seems to be a lot of power for a pellet gun.

I have had BB/Pellet guns using CO2 that have a very high muzzle velocity. Surprised me how far they would go into a telephone book.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Permission to speak to COBRA on this matter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Any quality pellet rifle can go clean throug a small animal, especially the .177 caliber

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Any quality pellet rifle can go clean throug a small animal, especially the .177 caliber

If it does not hit Bone , at 1100 fps. yes, perhaps but i still dont think it would do 6" of penetration in soft tissue ... . 800-900 fps.. not a chance .. The New larger caliber Air Rifles with Tank, are a different story, they can kill a Deer .
I highly doubt a Dominican is playing with one of these.

It was most likely a small caliber bullet , such as .22 rim fire,. possibly sub sonic ammo, which has more than enough mass even at under 1000 fps. At close range though, and to the ground , even full power super sonic .22 rimfire does not make much sound though, Im always surprised about that .. Into grass for example, it makes just a low muffled Pop..

I concur with having a vet doing an autopsy, and get the details and the slug, as intact as possible .

May 5, 2007

That really sucks, sorry about loss of you pet

A .177 or .22 pellet gun with pointed lead pellet can be over 1000 feet per second, approaching that of a .22 long and exceeding that of a .22 short Certainly enough to kill a small animal

Doubtful bullet deformed much so you should be able to tell if it was a pellet (Most have a conical head and an empty rear area as opposed to the solid mass of a .22 rifle bullet) or bullet Probably stupid neighborhood teens

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
That really sucks, sorry about loss of you pet

A .177 or .22 pellet gun with pointed lead pellet can be over 1000 feet per second, approaching that of a .22 long and exceeding that of a .22 short Certainly enough to kill a small animal

Doubtful bullet deformed much so you should be able to tell if it was a pellet (Most have a conical head and an empty rear area as opposed to the solid mass of a .22 rifle bullet) or bullet Probably stupid neighborhood teens
I had a CO2 pellet gun as a kid, and used the flat head/hollow tail slugs. It did about as much damage as my pump bb gun.

May 5, 2007
I had a CO2 pellet gun as a kid, and used the flat head/hollow tail slugs. It did about as much damage as my pump bb gun.

The pump type pellet guns can be severely "over pumped" to a high velocity I once nailed a nuisance skunk with a Sheridan Blue Steak single shot, instead of recommended 3-4 pumps I kept pumping until it would take no more, about 10 pumps. Mr skunk was a good size critter I hit him from about 30 feet in shoulder and he raised up off front legs and keeled over They(pump pellet guns) can develop a lot of kinetic energy

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The pump type pellet guns can be severely "over pumped" to a high velocity I once nailed a nuisance skunk with a Sheridan Blue Steak single shot, instead of recommended 3-4 pumps I kept pumping until it would take no more, about 10 pumps. Mr skunk was a good size critter I hit him from about 30 feet in shoulder and he raised up off front legs and keeled over They(pump pellet guns) can develop a lot of kinetic energy
And could account as why we didn't hear any gunshots.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I was shot with a .22 from an illegal handgun imported from Haiti. Did enough damage to me and killed one of the dogs entering through his bottom and he bled to death as no one saw the entry wound which was small.

Matilda

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sorry about your cat... I have never understood the need to harm dogs, cats, etc..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
.22 pellet guns from a decent range can be potent.....

easily kill a rabbit or squirrel... if not kill severely maim.

Even the non-pump variety rifles are strong enough for that....IMO

Factor in a pointed pellet......

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014

A pellet gun would certainly do that kind of damage. It's much different than a BB gun. Besides, the .22 would make enough notice to be noticed by someone and the rumor mill would spread the word on who is shooting and where. I would look for someone who owns a pellet gun or rifle, most probably a rifle.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I do not believe that any animal ever deserves be subjected to the cruel and inhumane treatment some people inflict on them. The harsh reality is that people can justify just about anything they do at least to themselves. These psychopaths are all around us.

Some cat owners are a particular breed of crazy in their own right. Under the guise of allowing a cat to be a cat, these family pets are turned loose on the neighborhood and nature daily. Big cats in the wild and the domestic cat curled up snoozing on the window sill are considered "thrill killers". They of course are predators that will kill to eat but they are just as likely to kill other animals just for the thrill of the hunt, sometimes depositing these trophies at the door for their owners to find and appreciate.

Some people don't particularly like dogs. Others, don't like cats, snakes, rats whatever someone else may considered a loved pet and family member. Unlike in some countries where beloved pets are treated to spa days, professional coiffures and owners may be inclined to spends thousands of dollars on medical treatments for their much adored animal companion(s), here in the DR and elsewhere this reverence for animals in general is not shared.

Those who place a higher value on birds, frogs, lizards or other creatures in general, that are minding their own business may not view someone else's feline stalking around killing everything that moves very favorably. If you allow your pet to wander the neighborhood there is a very good chance that one day it won't come home. It is a sad commentary for sure, but just the reality. Wandering pets gets run over by vehicles, shot, poisoned and whacked with machetes. Sometimes for cause but not always.

Clearly CB's pet crossed paths with one of these callous people. Neither pellet rifles or regular rifles are legal here. We already know that doesn't stop some from possessing and using them. Whether this unfortunate animal's demise was caused by a particular type of firearm is really not all that consequential. Certainly it would be nice to know how and why for piece of mind but the takeaway here is not how or why but the fact that some psycho had the opportunity to do what they did. There will be no way to track the bullet/pellet. By talking to others CB may be successful in getting a good idea who could be responsible, but proof will be hard to come by.

Those who are inclined to harm animals tend to re-offend with increasing frequency the more they do it and get away with it. If in fact this poor cat was on the receiving end of human cruelty, the only course of action that will minimize the chances of another pet at the CB household suffering at the hands of this "neighbor" is to keep the pets at home going forward. Shooting someone's pet is pretty rare but not unheard of. The preferred method seems to be poison. Someone who shoots a cat has probably poisoned many more before advancing to direct fire. All it takes is some rat poison or a couple of over the counter pain meds mixed into a small can of food to set a trap that most wandering pets would not be able to pass by.

Sorry for your loss CB. Mark my words though, it will happen again if you allow the circumstances to repeat. Good luck CB, hope you get some closure if not outright justice. It's up to you to keep the your other pets safe.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Sorry about your cat :(

I cannot, for the life of me, determine what 6'' represents...... so just out of curiosity, how did you determine it was a firearm/bullet wound ?
I have heard of cat "traps " back home ( not in th dr, as there doesnt seem to be that many cats ), like trip wires and air-compressed blow pipes. There again there aint many firearms back home. 

Also, a co2 handgun, with good pellets ( the ultra-light weight ones ) can kill a fair sized rat. Done it a couple of times. So pretty sure a pellet rifle will nail a cat.