Cyber Caf?s, Taxi's & the Archives

Bhyrdman

Mar 12, 2002
Hi Everyone,

I am enjoying this board. I have gleaned some excellent information from the archives: getting a taxi, where the offical rates are posted, catching a guagua, what NOT to say, do, or think.

It's nice to see regulars offerring their experience to the neophytes,. And funny.

I'm flying into POP on April 4 and ask the following question, as it will dictate, more or less, more less than more, more to my less thinking, my intinerary:

"Are there, outside the main tourist areas, cyber caf?s/email facilities?"

Thanks in advance for any input and I look forward to meeting you here are there!

Bhyrdman
NPT RI US

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am presuming that you will be staying in Playa Dorada? Or Sosua?

Playa Dorada is a complex of about 14 A-I Hotels with a Shopping Center in the Middle. Access to the city of POP is via a taxi or local bus called a "gua-gua" to be taken just outside the complex gates.

In POP there is cyber access, but the exact location, I do not know and we'll have to await a local like BushBaby to chime in here for the details.

If you go over to Sofy's B&B for the greatest breakfast on the North Shore, I am sure that Noelle can point you in the right direction.

As for Sosua, well just mosey over to Britannia Pub or Eddy's place and they can point you in the right direction.

Good Luck, await further pointers,

HB

Bhyrdman

Mar 12, 2002
Sorry for not being clearer.

I am planning on arriving in POP and either taking a gaugua or taxi towards Las Terrenas and Samana.

Thanks again.
Bhyrdman

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Samana via gua gua

Dude, it'll take you about 8 hours on a gua gua and many transfers to get from Playa Dorada to Samana. Take a cab, hook up with someone else to split the cost. If travelling alone and you are not interested in stopping to take pics along the way (not recommended though), or if you are planning on staying out in Samana/LTerrenas, take a bus for cheap (Caribe Tours out of Puerto Plata) Sosua/Cabarete is about as far as I would want to head out in a gua gua....MAYBE as far as Rio San Juan, but no more than that.

There are tons of internet cafes all over the place, and all less than 1/2 the price you would pay in Playa Dorada.

marc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If Saman? is your final destination you might be wise to try this.
1) take a taxi to Metro in POP
2)Get a bus to Santiago
3)Get a direct bus to Nagua
4)Get a bus to Saman?

If you need help send me an e-mail

this is the cheapest and fastest way. Of course a taxi is faster but it will cost...

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In Samana you can send email. Same building as Codetel phone office, but on the side facing the Catholic Church.