Want to go from Ontario to DR

Nicole

Mar 16, 2002
Does anyone know of the cheapest way to go from Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal to the DR? I have been trying to find flights but they cost a lot more than I want to spend.

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com

Misty

Mar 4, 2002
The cheapest flights are the charter flights and they cost around $700. Try calling the Flight Centre I find they give you the best deals. They have quite a few locations in Toronto. Another website that lists airfares to the Dr is www.sunholidays.ca
Good Luck.

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
There are no more cheap flights!! I never used to pay more than $550 for airfare, this year I had to pay $729!! It was crazy. Originally I was suppose to leave now and when I was searching sunholidays it seemed cheaper than what I paid at the end of Feb. Good luck.

Nicole

Mar 16, 2002
Thanks for the sites!! I didn't know about a couple of them.

Is it possible to go for a couple of days? All that I have found are for a week.

Misty

Mar 4, 2002
There are AA and US Airways flights every day from Toronto to DR. The only thing with them is that they are very expensive and you have to connect through the U.S.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
A couple ideas

Nicole said:
Does anyone know of the cheapest way to go from Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal to the DR? I have been trying to find flights but they cost a lot more than I want to spend.

Even if you don't want all inclusive you can try for last minute - though soon there are likely to be less flights since they seem to change to other sun destinations after Easter. I have seen low season off peak all inclusive for less than the airfare alone.

Try www.belairtravel.com - they have last minute, and air only ( and if you miss the exact dates they show you nearest dates unlike AT and other sites).

I fly from Toronto to DR 6 or 7 times a year and always fly AA for the one reason they have good schedules - that said I have paid $880 CDN ( for the upcoming May long weekend ) to
over $1,300 CDN in high season.

Still you have to count the value of the 4,000 miles per trip - after about 7 or 8 you have earned one free trip. Also they sell trips to Caribbean for points + cash much fewer points and no more than $225 US cash. Maybe a better value for me than a one time or less frequent visitor.

Continental flies via Newark - it is hard to schedule a connection via Newark leaving from Toronto.

You may also see if the Air Canada fares they are flogging to Miami at CDN $258 plus untold taxes plus a Miami-SDQ fare may be cheaper using AA for only 1/2 the trip.

Nicole

Mar 16, 2002
Can anyone recommend a travel agent in Ottawa that has helped them out?

I have searched and I can admit that I think I need some help!!

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
for Ricktoronto

So is that $880 CDN for 4-days? Would the May long weekend be considered peak season? Do you often take advantage of the long weekends, now that we are heading into summer I wouldn't mine looking into that however that price is pretty steep for me. Also how long would it take you, I'm assuming you're leaving from TO, with the stopovers?

thanks

Stlougrrrl

Mar 22, 2002
Q for Diana

Diana,
This is completely non-related but I read a post from you on a different thread ( a really longggg one ;) about how you visited your friend who was doing volunteer work in the DR. I am currently looking for volunteer opportunities and would be interested in any information you might have. Sorry to ask you this here but you're not available to e-mail directly from the postings.
Thanks,
Margee

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Reply for Diana (Sorry about the delay)

I am going Toronto SDQ on the 17-21 of May for $560 US/$868 CDN. The AA US/CDN rate is always quite good - they bill in CDN funds directly even though on AA.com ( where the best prices ALWAYS are) it is in US $ first.

I go to SDQ about 6 or 7 times a year - a few 1 week + weekend trips and a few "longer" long weekends, e.g. Friday and Tuesday on top of the Monday holiday.

Prices range from $560 US to over $900 US. Once in AA.com I try various combos of dates to see if there are any deals.

Rarely have the websavers ever included the toronto departures tough if they have a T/F return M/T websaver from Miami to SDQ you can see that part of the fare basis is that and then the rest is advance booked Toronto /Miami fare.

I find if you take the 6:30 a.m. to Miami, it almost always elaves and gets there on time and then the 11:00 Miami SDQ is an easy connection and you arrive anywhere from 1:15 to 2:40 depending on if we are daylight time or not. Since SDQ is never on it (DST).

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
For Diana: Whoops, Sorry should have read all of it

Diana said:
So is that $880 CDN for 4-days? Would the May long weekend be considered peak season? Do you often take advantage of the long weekends, now that we are heading into summer I wouldn't mine looking into that however that price is pretty steep for me. Also how long would it take you, I'm assuming you're leaving from TO, with the stopovers?thanks

I think peak is July 1-mid September (August certainly is). I think the Long weekend since it is "ours" and not US Memorial Day is a websaver in part ( see original reply)

$880 CDN, FYI is the lowest I have ever paid. Don't expect lower than that, e.g. $560 +/- US is cheap for the distance per AA generally. I have never found an Air Canada to MIA/combo with A Websaver MIA -SDQ to ever be cheaper than just AA all the way.

I only fly YYZ-MIA-SDQ return - same flights, times etc., out and back. Routing the LGA/JFK is possible but a burden to cross Brooklyn to switch airports. I haven't flown via BOS, though you can and never on US Air though I imagine via Philly is not so bad.

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
for Ricktoronto

Thanks Rick,
I appreciate your reply. I assume you always book online (e.g. AA.com?) or are you booking through a travel agent? It seems the peak seasons are when I would want to try and go, but I will definitely look into in.

Thanks again.

Diana

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Reply to Diana

Diana said:
Thanks Rick,
I appreciate your reply. I assume you always book online (e.g. AA.com?) or are you booking through a travel agent? It seems the peak seasons are when I would want to try and go, but I will definitely look into in. Thanks again.
Diana

I always book through AA.com for 2 reasons - even vs. AA on the phone often AA.com is less expensive as they have fares for Web only.

They give 1000 AA points per trip on top of the flight miles if you book online.

I have AAdvantage Gold so I book the seats ( in exit rows) online and I can look up/change/upgrade online as well.

AA.com refunded a $400 CDN overage when the price fo rthis Friday's trip fell between booking in November and early January - without a surcharge or fees.

And really there is no other airline to use from Toronto.

The lowest fares ( evidenced by their lowest points + $ combo deals) is September 7th to November 14th. I think that is the lowest of the low.

Plus I think most if not all TA's charge $25 to book - for complex deals/packages, fine, for direct flights only with a regular, not needed.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
One Other Thing for Diana

Diana said:
It seems the peak seasons are when I would want to try and go

Other than AA or US Air I am pretty sure we are near the end of the Transat/SkyService flights to DR ( SDQ anyway) since each post-Easter period until after November they reroute to Europe etc.

I think flights are very limited to SDQ from mid-April on if not already, meaning the scheduled carriers are it.

The old days when Canadian Airlines still ran, they had one daily non stop to SDQ from Toronto. Air Canada has not picked this up.

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
Reply to Ricktoronto

Yes I know!! On charters, I always have to fly to La Romana and that could be a pain!
I tried playing around on the AA.com website but the cheapest flight I could get for May 17-21 was $607US. When you are booking are you booking a separate flight from TO to MIA and then MIA to SDQ? You may have already mentioned this in your post and missed it.
When I attempted I put in TO to SDQ and the stop over to Pilly was the cheapest.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
I hope the frowny face isn't aimed at me....

I sent U an e-mail. The flight seem to have evaporated. Nothing available. The Boston flights not showing up or any others.

Via PHL is US Air - you can get a price via expedia.ca or US Air's site.

Honestly I bought this $562 ticket 4 days ago ( mail from Dallas to Canada in 4 days !!) and there is nothing - I am thinking they are not showing all flights.

Expedia.ca is showing my usual flights - 343/1711 to SDQ on the 17th and 680/1562 on the 21st as available for $975 CDN. Usual Miami routing. US Air is $10 less.

Call AA at 1-800-433-7300 and ask.