Finding English based work in the DR

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
OK so it seems my previous post was axed, so I'll word my post much better this time haha. So basically, I am a young student planning to start on my degree withjn the next year and was wondering if anyone knew of any job opportunities here (specifically Santo Domingo) for English speakers that are preferably not call centers. I have done work at home in the US and am trying to find something to do from here in the DR, but it seems they're not too keen on letting people work outside the US, I assume due to laws. I've thought of teaching English as I privately in the past, but I currently do not possess a TEFL cert. I have done the call center gigs here mainly trying to get into their IT departments, but I have low vision and unfortunately they axed me for productivity reasons due to that and along with the rest of my training group. I'm planning to return to the US eventually in the far future because I'm planning to take my gf with me to live, but for now I'm planning to settle here in SD for a while. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I have done work at home in the US and am trying to find something to do from here in the DR, but it seems they're not too keen on letting people work outside the US, I assume due to laws.

While living in the DR, I've worked remotely for a number of US based companies, so while I also know there are companies, or positions which do not allow you to reside outside of the US (data handling / senstitive data etc. reasons, among others), there are plenty that do. On the cases I've seen (no expert on US legislation, cannot comment here), it has only to do with what information the client company is comfortable moving between two countries and with what information they are not comfortable with that.

Always when applying, I have clearly stated in what kind of environment (as in, back-up power, back-up connection etc.) I work, as one concern in the eyes of the employer is the reliability of electricity/connectivity.

Another point to "sell" them, is that you have a machinery that won't fail on you and you are able to perform as if you were in the office. I have seen a few times situations where people working remotely start to complain to the emloyer (yes, this makes no sense), when their browser fails or computer freezes, when this of course has nothing to do with the client company. It is your job to make sure you can service the client well.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I too work remotely for a US company, have a good computer, good back up and an office which is quiet and promotes a good work environment. Productivity is an issue in any office setting not just a call center

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I answered to the original one which disappeared!

1. Having no TEFL doesn't stop you teaching English. Try going to all of the hotels, esp the smaller ones say in the Colonial Zone and offer to teach English on site. You never know you may even get a job at the same time.
2. Try the online freelance sites such as freelance.com.
3. There is a good site for english speaking jobs in the capital - https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/jobs....rd=&sc.keyword=&locT=C&locId=2691756&jobType=

matilda