Garlic: DR only produces 10% of what's needed

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Dominican Republic only produces 10% of garlic required

The JAD: 100,000 quintals will be imported to stabilize the market

SANTO DOMINGO. The lack of incentives has led to the drop in garlic production in the Dominican Republic, where the country has achieved a ceiling of 22,000 tasks, last year only 1,500 tasks were sown.

This was expressed yesterday by Osmar Benítez, executive president of the Dominican Agribusiness Board (JAD), who explained that in the country are consumed between 180,000 and 200,000 quintals of garlic a year and only produced 18,000 quintals, or only 10% which means that 90% of the demand was not met. He states that the authorities ordered an import of 100,000 quintals that were placed in public auction and is already entering the local market to stabilize the price. Benitez spoke prior to the launch of the "FIT FOR MARKET" program.

"Now it is going to plant more than 5,000 tasks and write it that next year we will reach the 8,000 tasks and will plant more garlic because it is a noble product that has a favorable impact on Constanza's economy," said Osmar Benítez, president executive of the Dominican Agribusiness Board (JAD).

He said that garlic is a complicated business, "many people who handle the market issue and where there are few offers from producers."

The representative of the JAD attributed the drop in garlic production in the country to the lack of incentive.

"If I have no incentive to produce, what am I going to produce; is a rational attitude. Garlic is the crop that maintains the other vegetable products of the region of Constanza. Garlic stabilizes cabbage, carrot, lettuce, beets and other products, "he said.

Ensures that to correct the problem in the garlic sector: "first there is a subsidiary role that the state must play. Assisting producers in land preparation; secondly, that the state can facilitate the bringing of certified seeds of the first quality to plant garlic in Constanza and support by financing the purchase of seeds; thirdly, provide facilities for garlic producers to purchase pressurized irrigation systems to lower the cost of production; Fourth, we must try to support the garlic producers to avoid that there is no imported garlic when the Dominican harvest is in the market, "

computer translated from:

https://www.diariolibre.com/economi...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Lack of garlic, to an Italian, is a very distressing :)

I always pack garlic powder, and use the bottled chopped garlic when necessary, but definitely not the same. It's been a problem getting fresh garlic at the roadside stands for a couple of years now, and even at the supermarket sometimes. Sounds like it may be worse now.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
guess that explains all the garlic smuggling i read about in local press on regular basis.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Same case as the coffee here. 90% is imported. Importing from Vietnam costs about 60% of the price. Unbelievable.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
Lack of garlic, to an Italian, is a very distressing :)

I always pack garlic powder, and use the bottled chopped garlic when necessary, but definitely not the same. It's been a problem getting fresh garlic at the roadside stands for a couple of years now, and even at the supermarket sometimes. Sounds like it may be worse now.

I have never seen fresh garlic in DR. I assume you mean the white dried garlic imported from china. Fresh garlic has sprouts coming out of them and has a soft skin and is not as hard as the garlic you'll find in the supermarkets. The real deal garlic cannot be produced in tropical climates, only if you have a climatized area. The garlic you refer to as fresh, is at least 2 years old and produced in china....

I love garlic...

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Likewise I have never seen fresh garlic and I have seldom seen fresh local grapes . There is a lack of incentive in the DR to initiate new things and I think the Government may be better advised to assist with starting off projects such as garlic rather than hand out subsidies to poor producers of other items . I would love to see a quince farm and there are ceratin areas here that would be perfect .

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
fresh garlic rocks. once on my trip to constanza i tried to purchase it and was ready to pay double or triple the price but people looked at me like i was out of mind when i asked about it. i guess now i know why.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
guess that explains all the garlic smuggling i read about in local press on regular basis.

I am always bewildered by those articles as well. A person travelling in a jeepeta is caught with 10 bags of garlic and you would think it's the start of WWIII.
All with the accompanying pictures of the jeepeta, the garlic, the armed soldiers, the offender, and the news that they have been imprisoned for 3 months for smuggling.

Incredible.