Vimenpaq in Miami now Tax Free Zone

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Just got this mail: No time to translate, sorry.

Estimado cliente:

Estamos felices de anunciarte que con tu cuenta de casillero internacional tendrás ahorros importantes en tus compras por Amazon, ya que no le aplicarán el impuesto (Tax Sale) al momento de la compra on-line.

Para beneficiarse de tales ahorros, los artículos que sean comprados a través de Amazon.com solo deberán ser enviados a la dirección de Vimenpaq: 7801 NW 37th Street, Doral FL 33195-6503. Esta dirección ha sido designada por el Estado de la Florida zona libre de impuestos a la compra de productos en línea.

El Sr. Daniel Malena, Director de Mercadeo y Publicidad de Vimenpaq, comentó: “Nos sentimos orgullosos de ser la primera empresa Courier de República Dominicana en llegar a un acuerdo con la prestigiosa empresa Amazon para brindarle un privilegio exclusivo para nuestros clientes y al mismo tiempo que nuestra dirección de recepción de paquetes haya sido designada por el estado de la Florida como una dirección exenta de impuestos a la venta (Sales Tax) para las compras en línea internacionales”.

Te podrás ahorrar hasta un 7% de valor de tu compra ¿buenísimo, no?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I guess everything shipped to them would be sales tax free doesn't matter from where it comes. I cannot imagine a free zone is only valid for Amazon...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The seller would have to record the tax free purchase in their records to justify at a later date why no tax was collected (during an audit for example). If the seller doesn't know about the tax exempt status and have the tax exempt #, they have to charge the tax.

As it reads, this pertains to only Amazon at this point in time. Perhaps as time goes by Vimenpaq will either give out the tax exempt # to their customers to use on other online sites or they will make the necessary arrangements themselves with other online companies as they see fit.

No tax at Amazon, that's a good place to start.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've never paid any sales tax on items purchased through Amazon or eBay when shipped to friends in Florida or to BM Cargo which is also located in Doral, FL.

The only time that I know of that a Florida sales tax is added is when the merchant is also located in Florida(?).

Feb 7, 2007
My courier actually told me today (after consulting her about this Vimenpaq tax thing), that for Amazon purchases you can claim back sales tax by calling in, and informing them the purchase was shipped to a freight forwarder, with final destination outside of Florida, and to be used and consumed outside of Florida. Several clients of hers have done that successfully on a regular basis.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Me too and as I understand this will be not the case anymore then.

This little tax was more than one time enough to push my amount over 200 USD, lol...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
My courier actually told me today (after consulting her about this Vimenpaq tax thing), that for Amazon purchases you can claim back sales tax by calling in, and informing them the purchase was shipped to a freight forwarder, with final destination outside of Florida, and to be used and consumed outside of Florida. Several clients of hers have done that successfully on a regular basis.

That may be why some retailers (Walgreens) refuse to ship to these courier services when they can identify them as such.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009

Too much hassle for too little money. I appreciate the Vimenpaq solution.

Feb 7, 2007
Too much hassle for too little money. I appreciate the Vimenpaq solution.

You can do it in batches... like once every 6 months.

At $234 per pound they are not the cheapest ones. I pay $150 per pound (and in Zona Oriental there is a courier franchise that offers $135 per pound). It would need to be a lot of taxes to pay for the shipping cost difference. I just reviewed my 2017 Amazon purchases and my sales tax ascends to about US$38*. That's difference on 21 pounds of shipment. I did much, much more than that.

* Only about 1 in every 3 orders had some tax assessed. Fulfilled by Amazon but sold by third party does not generate sales tax, same as 3rd party seller & fulfiller. Same goes for many products sold directly by Amazon like books, food items, vitamins etc.

Vimenpaq started, others will follow. It's only a matter of time.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
I've never paid any sales tax on items purchased through Amazon or eBay when shipped to friends in Florida or to BM Cargo which is also located in Doral, FL.

The only time that I know of that a Florida sales tax is added is when the merchant is also located in Florida(?).

Amazon has a presence in Florida so they started collecting sales tax for items addressed to Florida AND fullfilled by Amazon or by a Florida merchant in May 2014 (for a total of 21 states)- except for the exemption noted by the OP.

Amazon started collecting sales tax nationwide starting April 1st- for a total 45 states.

Amazon does not collect sales taxes from Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon as these states as they do not have state sales tax.

josevelandiass

Jun 5, 2020
zaragoza
Just got this mail: No time to translate, sorry.

Estimado cliente:

Estamos felices de anunciarte que con tu cuenta de casillero internacional tendrás ahorros importantes en tus compras por Amazon prime, ya que no le aplicarán el impuesto (Tax Sale) al momento de la compra on-line.

Para beneficiarse de tales ahorros, los artículos que sean comprados a través de Amazon.com solo deberán ser enviados a la dirección de Vimenpaq: 7801 NW 37th Street, Doral FL 33195-6503. Esta dirección ha sido designada por el Estado de la Florida zona libre de impuestos a la compra de productos en línea.

El Sr. Daniel Malena, Director de Mercadeo y Publicidad de Vimenpaq, comentó: “Nos sentimos orgullosos de ser la primera empresa Courier de República Dominicana en llegar a un acuerdo con la prestigiosa empresa Amazon para brindarle un privilegio exclusivo para nuestros clientes y al mismo tiempo que nuestra dirección de recepción de paquetes haya sido designada por el estado de la Florida como una dirección exenta de impuestos a la venta (Sales Tax) para las compras en línea internacionales”.

Te podrás ahorrar hasta un 7% de valor de tu compra ¿buenísimo, no?

Muy bueno para ser verdad, pienso yo.