Wifi hackers - how to get rid of them

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
Need help-- For the last 2 days, I have problems with people hacking into my Internet wifi service. I'm with Orange - 20G data package (18 months contract), using the Alcatel one touch portable router. Did not have any problem until now. I live in a large village in the South-east. I have the Alcatel link app to block unwanted devices, but that is not what I need, because I keep having to block devices that get connected to my router, to no end. I never gave my password to anyone, so I know they are hackers. Is there a way I can block all hackers and have strickly MY DEVICES connected and nobody else's.??? Can I put some kind of security wall to stop this?? Your suggestions are welcome. (Note that I'm not a tech person). I'll be going to the Orange office of course, but I don't expect them to give me a solution, based on my passed experience with their customer service. Thank you for your help.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Are the users you are seeing being identified as cell phones? They may not actually be accessing your router. There is a service in windows that monitors other wifi enabled devices that are within range of your router even if they do not try to connect.

The answer to your other questions is yes, but I suspect you are not being hacked. Let me go see if I can find an article that explains the situation and how you can make these spurious cell phones disappear if that is indeed the case. Back in 30 min or so.

Don't panic. When you go looking for problems, chances are that you will find some. :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What version of Windows are you running? I noticed this issue before on my machine, turned off the service and the entries disappeared. After upgrading to some version of Win10 the service setting was changed from DISABLED back to MANUAL and I have not seen these entries even though the service is running.

Anyway, give this a try and see if it sorts things out for you. If No, then you need to install a program that actually checks and identifies the devices that are connected to your network. I can point you to free software that does that if it becomes necessary.

Read up on the problem and the do the service change in the link below.

https://appuals.com/fix-unknown-strange-devices-showing-network/

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Did it work? The unknown entrees should have disappeared from your network screen immediately. Certainly after a F5 refresh.

Don't get side tracked by the ads in that link. All you are doing is disabling a service, not installing any software.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
What version of Windows are you running? I noticed this issue before on my machine, turned off the service and the entries disappeared. After upgrading to some version of Win10 the service setting was changed from DISABLED back to MANUAL and I have not seen these entries even though the service is running.

Anyway, give this a try and see if it sorts things out for you. If No, then you need to install a program that actually checks and identifies the devices that are connected to your network. I can point you to free software that does that if it becomes necessary.

Read up on the problem and the do the service change in the link below.

https://appuals.com/fix-unknown-strange-devices-showing-network/
Thanks Cdn_Gringo. I just printed the article you sent and I will go through the steps. I have win 8.1 on my PC, but I only use it once a month. The devices that appear as "connected" to my wifi appear on my cellphone (Android galaxy 3) because I have an app on my phone that I just installed, and every so often (especially in the evening), new devices appear, which I can block (each device with a different MAC: ..... number). My contract with Orange is for 20 g of data, which is more than enough ( my usual usage is from 15 to 18 g of data monthly, to the end of the month), but this month, all 20G were consumed on 18 October, which is a non sense. Also, my neighbour tells me that people are standing in the street next to my house in the evening (we have a fence of cement blocks around the perimeter, it's 10ft high, so I can't see outside unless I go out on the street). I live in a big village full of Haitians illegals who live here by stealing everyone, so I'm not surprised. I need something that will block all devices that are not mine, on a permanent basis. I will go through the process you suggested today, and report back. Thanks again.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I suspect you can stop manually blocking all those devices. It's like "Whack-A-Mole" For everyone you block another will show up. As I said earlier, I do not think these devices are actually connecting to your router. They are just being cellphones and broadcasting their availability that you router is receiving and and reporting to Windows. Why these devices are being displayed makes no sense to me as the info is pretty useless and just confuses most people who don't understand how wifi & WPS works. When I was playing with this, months ago, I knew when the security guard walked by the house because I could see his phone on my network screen.

None the less if disabling that one service solves the issue, then the next time you are changing some router settings you can turn off the WPS function of your router (a good idea for everyone) and then it will not matter if a Windows update resets the service setting you changed at some point in the future.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Need help-- For the last 2 days, I have problems with people hacking into my Internet wifi service. I'm with Orange - 20G data package (18 months contract), using the Alcatel one touch portable router. Did not have any problem until now. I live in a large village in the South-east. I have the Alcatel link app to block unwanted devices, but that is not what I need, because I keep having to block devices that get connected to my router, to no end. I never gave my password to anyone, so I know they are hackers. Is there a way I can block all hackers and have strickly MY DEVICES connected and nobody else's.??? Can I put some kind of security wall to stop this?? Your suggestions are welcome. (Note that I'm not a tech person). I'll be going to the Orange office of course, but I don't expect them to give me a solution, based on my passed experience with their customer service. Thank you for your help.

At work we have a Lynksys - Cisco router, is a factory and all workers was hacking the wifi password so we decided to put more security and now changed the conection to closed list with the MAC address of each device that has rihgts to access the wifi network, even they can see the password if their mac ID is not in the list never will connect.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
JD, how did you make out with this?
Hi Cdn_Gringo, I did the change in Windows to disable connect now service and I changed the password on the Alcatel wifi router. No change... still getting devices connecting to my wifi. There's a key info in the article you sent when they talk about partial handshake..etc. it says that when a device has an IP address assigned, then it IS connected to my wifi service. When a new device appears, each one has the same IP address as mine, except for the last 3 digits which are different for each device connecting. In other words, no change, I keep blocking each device as it appears and sometimes it's the same device because I wrote down the MAC codes, and they reappear the next day. This is a nonsense to have to watch the connections and block them, as they appear. ...... I did a research this PM and found an article about blocking unwanted devices, but I did not have time to finish it. I'm sure there's a way to secure my wifi so that only MY devices can connect. I already have the Alcatel app downloaded which I use to do the blocking. If you have any other suggestions please let me know. Thanks for your help.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Go here, download wifiguard v1.07 and install it. Easy to install and run. Will show you devices that have actually been assigned an address by your router. You know what a MAC address is so as you see devices, identify your own and there should be none left over.

http://filehippo.com/download_softperfect-wifi-guard/71288/

If you stumble across wifiguard v2, don't install it. That is a pay to play version. v1.07 is completely free.

This will determine once and for all if these devices you are seeing are actually being assigned an address on your network by your router or not. Something is funky here. If you changed your wifi password, there is no way all these devices would be able to crack the new password that fast. They'd have to be sitting outside your house to do that or close by neighbors.

I'm thinking it might be the way Orange has setup the cell network. I've not used a cell modem before so I have no practical experience. If I use my Delancer modem instead of my own, I can see all the other customers because of the way Delancer works, but I can't connect to their wifi and they can't connect to me.

Let me know if wifiguard identifies any device that you do not own as having been assigned an IP address on our network.

Do you know if your IP address is route-able? Ie, if you had a website, would people outside orange be able to enter the address in their browser and be able to reach your computer? The reason I ask is that Delancer (my ISP) assigned the same IP address to everyone and runs the network just like you and I would - all the delancer customers are assigned a local lan ip address on the delancer equipment but no one from outside delancer can actually see or reach any of the devices. This may be the way Orange is running their cell based ISP service.

orlando44

Jun 20, 2012
Thanks Cdn_Gringo. I just printed the article you sent and I will go through the steps. I have win 8.1 on my PC, but I only use it once a month. The devices that appear as "connected" to my wifi appear on my cellphone (Android galaxy 3) because I have an app on my phone that I just installed, and every so often (especially in the evening), new devices appear, which I can block (each device with a different MAC: ..... number). My contract with Orange is for 20 g of data, which is more than enough ( my usual usage is from 15 to 18 g of data monthly, to the end of the month), but this month, all 20G were consumed on 18 October, which is a non sense. Also, my neighbour tells me that people are standing in the street next to my house in the evening (we have a fence of cement blocks around the perimeter, it's 10ft high, so I can't see outside unless I go out on the street). I live in a big village full of Haitians illegals who live here by stealing everyone, so I'm not surprised. I need something that will block all devices that are not mine, on a permanent basis. I will go through the process you suggested today, and report back. Thanks again.

Hey are you in Neba and if not where please? How is crime there? And is the rent expensive? Looking for a place to retire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Change your router's administrator password, make sure you are not using WEP, use WPA2 and change your WPA2 password, disable WPS on the router, put MAC filtering only for your devices....

You must have some sophisticated Haitians that can hack your router like that ... !? lol

Feb 7, 2007
At work we have a Lynksys - Cisco router, is a factory and all workers was hacking the wifi password so we decided to put more security and now changed the conection to closed list with the MAC address of each device that has rihgts to access the wifi network, even they can see the password if their mac ID is not in the list never will connect.
THIS!!!

Feb 7, 2007
Change your router's administrator password, make sure you are not using WEP, use WPA2 and change your WPA2 password, disable WPS on the router, put MAC filtering only for your devices....

You must have some sophisticated Haitians that can hack your router like that ... !? lol

And THIS

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
Update: Thanking everyone for your help. Changed both passwords and put in the limit of MAC filtering to my devices only. Problem solved!! Much appreciated,. I knew there was a solution. Case closed.