Nort Coast Childbirth pros/cons / Doctor recommendations etc.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
God willing myself and la esposa will be welcoming a healthy baby into the family sometime next March. it's her first and my second.

She wants to change from Dr Franklin Medina to Dr Juan Oscar Souffront Rodriguez and wants me to sound out the gringo side for opinions.

She is considering the change based on recommendations from relatives and a friend that have used Dr. Souffront.

If it helps, her insurance company is ARS Humano (TSS)

Any help thats not already in the archives is welcomed . Thanks

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My wife's gyno delivered our twins and is a first rate doctor.  His name is Dr Trejo and has a consultancy office in La Clinica Gregorio Hernandez in POP.

We don't rate the facilities at Gregorio Hernandez so he agreed to drive to Santiago to deliver our babies.  He works with the major insurers.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
God willing myself and la esposa will be welcoming a healthy baby into the family sometime next March. it's her first and my second.

She wants to change from Dr Franklin Medina to Dr Juan Oscar Souffront Rodriguez and wants me to sound out the gringo side for opinions.

She is considering the change based on recommendations from relatives and a friend that have used Dr. Souffront.

If it helps, her insurance company is ARS Humano (TSS)

Any help thats not already in the archives is welcomed . Thanks

Felicidades

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
My wife's gyno delivered our twins and is a first rate doctor.  His name is Dr Trejo and has a consultancy office in La Clinica Gregorio Hernandez in POP.

We don't rate the facilities at Gregorio Hernandez so he agreed to drive to Santiago to deliver our babies.  He works with the major insurers.

We currently see Dr Franklin Medina there, and he is fine except he has a reputation for doing cesareans. If he does it, he would perform the cesarean at Centro Médico Bournigal since the facilities are better there.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Yes, its one of our options for a natural birth.
We feel that if we stay in the POP area the likelihood is very slim that she will give birth naturally without cesarean

My wife gave birth to our first one in POP. The second one was born abroad.

It might well be that there are very good professionals on the North Coast, but I would personally only recommend Santiago / Santo Domingo for this.

What I quoted, please be careful with this. C-section is "sold" pretty strongly here, when it's the contrary abroad. My wife's doctor in POP never even considered natural birth, when two professionals abroad were baffled (after examinations) as to why would she not be able to give natural birth. As far as we've seen, it's also common "knowledge" here that after one C-section you cannot give natural birth. This is false, there is no reason for natural birth not being possible if everything is fine... Again, confirmed by several professionals outside of this country...

To one cousin of my wife, only C-section was offered (in a public hospital), due to the fact that the doctor was tired and wanted go home already... Did not want to wait more to the cousin to have contractions...

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
My wife's doctor in POP never even considered natural birth, when two professionals abroad were baffled (after examinations) as to why would she not be able to give natural birth.

This is why even though she is satisfied with her doctor in POP, we are considering Santiago. It's a tough call.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
An update for those who may in the future need info :

We switched doctors to Dra. Damaris Jerez , who maybe because she is a woman gave us more personal attention. Our daughter was born on March 27th by cesarean at the Clinica Brugal Mejia , healthy and just under 9lbs . We paid after insurance 10k pesos (about 200 dollars) , that included up charges for use of a separate pediatrician and a few misc. things not covered by the insurance.
BTW , our insurance is just the basic version .
I also found out in the process that getting getting insurance after one is pregnant is not necessarily a bar from getting coverage . A common myth found in these pages.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I also found out in the process that getting getting insurance after one is pregnant is not necessarily a bar from getting coverage . A common myth found in these pages.

It is not necessarily a myth if it is true even part of the time. There may be some companies that allow coverage after the start of a pregnancy and others that do not. The insurance companies I have dealt with , PALIC and HUMANO, do not cover pre-existing conditions. And after you have lived here for a while, you will also realize that rules are rules, unless they are not.

Glad it worked out in your case.