Health Insurance

fiocco

Mar 26, 2016
Hi guys!
Any suggestion regarding a good and not too expensive Health Insurance? I also heard that some Insurance Company , when the insured reaches 65/70 years old, they will stop the insurance policy. Anyone have knowledge in this?
Thanks

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Hi guys!
Any suggestion regarding a good and not too expensive Health Insurance? I also heard that some Insurance Company , when the insured reaches 65/70 years old, they will stop the insurance policy. Anyone have knowledge in this?
Thanks

You can get decent coverage from any of the major companies here for around $35-$40/mo. No company that I know of stops the insurance after age 65-70. It can be difficult to get insurance after 65-70.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In the DR the insurance companies are in business to make money. They insure younger people who do not get sick.
The government appears to have little interest in helping and protecting its citizens and there are few regulations.

People aged 65 and up are not a good bet for the insurance companies.
It is this attitude that brought about Medicare in the US.
Only upside is that care here is cheaper. The issue of quality compared to first world countries is argued back and forth.
Best bet is keep health care in first world and be ready to fly back if you develop a serious complicated issue.
Miami is 90 minutes away.
Just my personal view. Others may not agree but I find health care too important to not seek the best available.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am over 70, am not insured here and it would be too expensive ... I have flown several times to the UK for treatment and the fare is much cheaper than any insurance would be . My neighbour goes to Cuba and of course for most things there is very good treatment in places like Plaza de Salud in the capital at very cheap prices

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
My experience is that when you reach 65 the rates do go up. I am still paying less than 40 US per month at pver 65. If you are covered before you reach that age they do not cancel you. My company is Monumental.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
If you're living here long term, get insurance. I'm still very young and am going to get insured soon. Most recently I had my gallbladder taken out here and had to pay that out of pocket even though the clinic was inside the blue cross network. If you have the means to fly back to your country that's fine, but there's actually some very good clinics here in the DR that the doctors do fantastic jobs. Places like Clínica Abreu, Plaza de la salud, CEDIMAT are my choices here in SD. I'm looking at getting Humano because that seems to be the most widely accepted insurance here.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
My Humano Individual Max plan costs roughly 6,000 and a few pesitos quarterly. Annually, 24,000 along with those few pesky pesitos. Monthly figure would be around 2,000 and depending on the current exchange rate, that comes out to roughly $42 US dollars per month. Covers all medical, prescriptions within the allocated allowance, and basic dental work where accepted. I am not sure about optical exams, as I did not believe this would be possible, but I was just informed this week by a dear friend that some ophthalmologists and optometrists may accept the coverage. Read the fine print, and choose carefully.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
It is possible but very difficult to get health insurance in the DR once you turn 65, but once you have it, you can keep it indefinitely. I do not have prescription coverage but my insurance is only 1000 pesos a month. I would like to cover my prescriptions but don't want to change plans. Also, I understand that it is very easy to reach the maximum for drugs very quickly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have had Humano and Palic. I only changed from Palic to Humano because a local clinic did not accept Palic. Now they do. Either were good for our uses to this point.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
If you're living here long term, get insurance. I'm still very young and am going to get insured soon. Most recently I had my gallbladder taken out here and had to pay that out of pocket even though the clinic was inside the blue cross network. If you have the means to fly back to your country that's fine, but there's actually some very good clinics here in the DR that the doctors do fantastic jobs. Places like Clínica Abreu, Plaza de la salud, CEDIMAT are my choices here in SD. I'm looking at getting Humano because that seems to be the most widely accepted insurance here.

You have to be a little careful with Humano. Last year ,for a period of several months they would not pay for many operations in the capital .They continued with doctors fees but not for operations..I assumed a cash flow problem .

fiocco

Mar 26, 2016
Thanks a lot to everyone. After searches, we are approaching the final decision about which seguros to choose: La Monumental or Humano? Both have similar specification but we would like to know which seguro is more choosen by foreigners here in Dominican Republic. Any hint or suggestion? Thanks a lot

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
This should not be about perfection.....both are good...take the plunge.....

True, but I think I'll pass. Pay out of pocket for small stuff, and anything major it's only 2+ hours to a Miami hospital.

Plus a Dom insurance co. would never cover the cost of my expensive drugs. I'm out.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
My Humano Individual Max plan costs roughly 6,000 and a few pesitos quarterly. Annually, 24,000 along with those few pesky pesitos. Monthly figure would be around 2,000 and depending on the current exchange rate, that comes out to roughly $42 US dollars per month. Covers all medical, prescriptions within the allocated allowance, and basic dental work where accepted. I am not sure about optical exams, as I did not believe this would be possible, but I was just informed this week by a dear friend that some ophthalmologists and optometrists may accept the coverage. Read the fine print, and choose carefully.

Im curious how much would "good" insurance cost for example a family of 5?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
True, but I think I'll pass. Pay out of pocket for small stuff, and anything major it's only 2+ hours to a Miami hospital.

Plus a Dom insurance co. would never cover the cost of my expensive drugs. I'm out.

Yes but what about an emergency that requires surgery or hospital stay? Or perhaps you have U.S. travel insurance.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Im curious how much would "good" insurance cost for example a family of 5?

Well, the plan I currently utilize is considered "very good" insurance by most. I can only speak for myself, and not quote a price for a family of 5, as I am a single man with no dependents. As well, I don't require maternity coverage. It works well for me. For a family of 5, I would assume multiply my number by 5, with appropriate reductions for each additional dependent. When you add more dependents, the overall premium rate per person drops a bit. All in all, the best advice is to visit the insurance office, and speak with a representative, who will lay it all out for you, as well as possible deductions. After all, these representatives are nothing but salesmen themselves trying to acquire new clients. Whether it be a commission gained or higher rating within the company, they are looking to sell their health plans. There is some negotiating space within the terms.