Most Dominican Children are Victims of Violence in the Home

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
63% of Dominican children 14 years old or less are victims of violence in the home.

51% of Dominican households subject their kids to corporal punishment.

1 billion children worldwide are victims of violence.

250 Latin American children die every day due to violence.

Horrible!

[video=youtube;NuBb1wfM078]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuBb1wfM078[/video]

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
NALs
51% of Dominican households subject their kids to corporal punishment.

Maybe because of my age, (we had what's now called corporal punishment in grade school. swated your butt and let the parents know was done). I see nothing wrong with a swat on the butt, if I have indicated its going to happen if I have told the child a couple of times to either do something or stop doing something. I don't mean take a belt to them but 1 swat on the butt never hurt anyone, but it does normally teach them that actions have consequences.

let the flogging begin. ;)

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Where there's poverty there's also a lot of violence. What I've noticed though is that it's mostly the mothers who are violent towards their children. How many of you have heard a mother screaming at their child "Yo te pari!! Diablo!!!"?
I bet many have.
I've seen mothers fighting with their daughters like 2 wildcats, like 2 hookers on La Duarte.
My stepson has a large scar on his shoulder because of his mom freaking out once.
Dominican Republic the country full of contradictions. :ermm:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NAL ..have you taken over from DV8 as the bearer of good tidings ? I suppose, having seen the census being taken in the DR and the numbers proudly proclaimed as being correct , I could never believe any statistic ever released about these sort of things . I am a believer in corporal punishment so I do not find that disturbing and I believe if I came up with other percentages , no one could either prove them right or wrong . No one can say the figures in your opening message are right or wrong .If I wrote that 83 % of all Dominican children were kissed by their parents twice a day , no one could say right or wrong ..is all smoke and mirrors stuff

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Children subjected to violence is one story.
Parents disciplining their children within reason is another.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
No surprise here, when my dad was around he beat the s$&&t out of us.  At least he gave us money and we had nice stuff so my mom put up with it. He viewed himself better than his dad and brothers who didn't stick around at all. I'll give him that.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
"Wait until your father gets home"...that is what I heard in my youth. Been swatted a few times and lived to talk about it. My son turned out pretty good I must say, and his butt saw a few swats. However there is a fine line between discipline and violence.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
People who were swatted as children always think they turned out pretty good and people who weren't swatted as children also think they turned out pretty good.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I don't think you have the right to raise the hand to a child. Hit a grown-up man instead. I you don't have the capacity to raise children without physical methods, you better don't take kids...
It's weakness, imo.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
A vicious cycle.

Ain't NO "didn't turn out too bad" if one uses same method on a child...

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
I don't believe in beating kids even though in my youth I know I sure deserved it at times lol. Even having a Dominican father, I was not disciplined on how I see kids here in the DR. He took the way my mother wanted to and they gave reasonable punishments as well as some small spankings here and there. Whenever I visit my GF's house in cotui she has three primitas (two of which are twins) and they absolutely have no respect and are out of control. I can see the type of discipline or lack of it in their mother, and even though the father is in the picture he doesn't give any care in the world. I don't want to tell anyone how to raise their kids, but this lady needs serious help as her kids are now taking advantage of this knowing there'll be no consequences. I told my GF just imagine when they're teenagers.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I don't think you have the right to raise the hand to a child. Hit a grown-up man instead. I you don't have the capacity to raise children without physical methods, you better don't take kids...
It's weakness, imo.

I disagree with you however I will say this. When my children were very young, they would get a swat on the but (or my ex would pinch them at times) especially when they would do something that could endanger them and they didn't listen, an example could be touching something hot. HOWEVER as soon as they got old enough that you could reason with them we just took away privileges. They were showered with love and affection on a daily basis but held accountable for the actions. We were consistent in what was and wasn't acceptable which I think is very important or otherwise you cause confusion and create a difficult situation for the child(ren).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You can't reason with many adults these days. What makes you think that these same people are capable of reasoning with their neurologically underdeveloped and emotionally vacant kids resulting in any measurable effect?

Millennials, an entire generation of ill prepared, self-centered spoiled brats poised to pass on their deficits to the next generation. Wonderful! Little Johnny, "do you want to stick this screwdriver into that electrical socket?" Go ahead. Little Johnny, " do you plan on doing that ever again?" Life lessons are learned by experiencing real consequences for bad decisions. Parents are supposed to be the source of the "real consequences" that prepares the foundation for good decision making as the child matures. I wish my parents had talked to me more, I might have have gotten into more trouble and had some real fun.