Pool Heater

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
My pool heater broke and I'm looking for a:

100,000 BTU Propane Gas Pool Heater

I know there are some in the big home supply centers in Santiago, has anyone seen any and the prices?? Or does anyone know where to buy one on the North coast??  Yes, I know I can buy one in the USA and have shipped here (already have this set up as Plan B), just looking for a more simple solution.

Thanks in advance

singletravel

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
My pool heater broke and I'm looking for a:

100,000 BTU Propane Gas Pool Heater

I know there are some in the big home supply centers in Santiago, has anyone seen any and the prices?? Or does anyone know where to buy one on the North coast??  Yes, I know I can buy one in the USA and have shipped here (already have this set up as Plan B), just looking for a more simple solution.

Thanks in advance

singletravel

That's a waste of fossile fuels. Why not try a solar pool cover?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Where can solar pool covers be purchased here in RD, or should they be shipped in?

JimW

May 21, 2014
Agree with Caonabo. Unless you REALLY need a lot of heat, go with a solar cover. You can find them on eBay and have them shipped to a Miami shipper. They can increase the temp 10 degrees F or more. Since you were looking at a 100,000 BTU heater (which is for smaller sized pools) a solar cover may run you <$100. If you really are set on the heater, a used Hayward propane 100k unit can be had in the US for about $250. (then add shipping etc.)

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Sorry JimW, I can not accept false accolades. I believe you are in agreement with jimbobo above. I was simply asking where the solar covers can be purchased here in RD, if possible. It was his suggestion, which I also find to be sound.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Why does one need a pool heater on the North Coast. I find mind gets too hot

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We have used a liquid solar blanket for the past several years and the pool temperature never goes below 80 degrees and often stays around 82 or 83. Before that the temp could dip into the mid to low 70's. Ecosavr.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Guess I'm lucky. My pool hasn't gotten cool enough to prevent me from jumping in. For much of the year, I wish the water temperature was actually a bit cooler.

From a practical point of view, I'd be leery of cheap Chinese products. Poor materials coupled with the humidity and potentially salt air exposure would make short work of the heat exchanger. Gas appliances are magnets for insects looking to crawl inside and set up residence. Pool heaters should be serviced and cleaned at least once a year to ensure safe operation which we know isn't going to happen here. Heaters without a secondary heat exchanger are hugely inefficient with at least 40-50% of the heat produced escaping through the venting and not heating the water.

In this climate, figuring in the cost of the equipment, ongoing maintenance and the cost of operation, the real benefits don't seem to balance out.