Social Security

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Is there anything in the Dominican Republic resembling social security benefits in the US? I realize the benefits won‘t be very generous, but I‘m wondering if the DR has this at all.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, larger employers have to pay social security for their employees. They get healthcare benefits, but I don't think they get anything in the way of unemployment or pension.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Yes, larger employers have to pay social security for their employees. They get healthcare benefits, but I don't think they get anything in the way of unemployment or pension.

They may not get unemployment per se but if they work 3 months or longer they get liquidation, a sort of severance pay. I am sure it was well meaning but when I still had employees here in the D.R. I experienced what others had warned me about. Many employees will perform acceptably until they pass the point where they will receive liquidation and then slack off. It is possible to fire them without paying IF you have done a good job of writing up their duties, work rules etc. (having them sign it) and then document all infractions they have keeping it in a file. However, the cards are stacked against you with the secretary of labor. I normally just tried to make the best decision before they passed that point deciding to keep them or not. The last Dominican employee I had was a project manager who I am convinced decided he want to cash out. I ended up paying him $1400.00 US to go away.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The idea of the AFP was to remove the whole system of liquidation’s, which in the end never happened. The percentage paid to the AFP is actually rather steep, 21.25% I think for the employer and 5.91% the mandatory contribution by the employee.

Many employers choose to have their employees registered at the TSS with lower salaries than they actually earn, to reduce the contribution. 

The big wave of pensions to be paid I think is due in some years. I wonder how that will work out.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Social security, in its true sense, is more invisible here than it is in the USA .. You will see no Government payments for disabilities such as blindness, loss of limbs or mental incapacity..Those people are placed on the rubbish heap of human waste . Social security is with countries with a good social conscience where the citizens ,through their elected governments, look after the less fortunate people in the community who are unable to earn money to keep themselves with food,housing and clothing .

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
Is there anything in the Dominican Republic resembling social security benefits in the US? I realize the benefits won‘t be very generous, but I‘m wondering if the DR has this at all.

In the "campo" (countryside) people that are poor receive a VISA card, and with that card they can pay for a certain amount of gas for cooking per month, as well as a certain amount of rice and other foodstuff, as well as free edenorte electricity.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Here they are lucky if they get paid every two weeks....SS you got to be kidding me.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
Here they are lucky if they get paid every two weeks....SS you got to be kidding me.

I am not kidding... people who are given this card have to participate in a weekly "reunion" in which they are explained the basics of hygiene and such. If they don't attend the meetings the "tarjeta" is no longer valid. I will take a picture of the government poster they put up at the local colmado, including the mobile visa machine they put in the local colmado... If i am not mistaken people receive between 2000 and 4000 pesos of goodies every month depending on how many children they have...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Solidaridad card is usually about 800 pesos per household per month. Then there are BonoLuz and BonoGas subsidies electricity and gas, and, IIRC, another one for school uniforms and supplies that is conditional on the parents ensuring the children go to school. In poor communities I have visited people told me that the allocation is more to do with PLD allegiance than actual need.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
well let us look at that unsubstantiated remark the other way around ..if a person was to receive some benefit from a government ,it is very likely that he would support the government who was to give the benefit and would say so .Can you imagine a likely candidate for assistance saying he supports the opposition .

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The Solidaridad card is usually about 800 pesos per household per month. Then there are BonoLuz and BonoGas subsidies electricity and gas, and, IIRC, another one for school uniforms and supplies that is conditional on the parents ensuring the children go to school.

there are also tarjetas that were handed to university students. i don't think it often gets to substantial amounts of money but every little helps. our maid was getting something in the range of 1500 pesos a month. not much but it can make a difference.