Speaking of Corrotos...antiques?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I've always wondered about this - where can one buy antiques in the DR?

I rarely see anything on corrotos or other places. Are there places in Santiago or the capitol?

What are Dominicans attitudes even towards antique furniture? I'm talking approx. 80 to 100 yr. plus stuff. Is there a market? Do Dominicans seek it out?

In the States I could go on for hours about antiques. Here I'm clueless on the subject.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That is something that has always confounded me....antiques in RD

The oldest Church and lighthouse in the New World.... a very old place...
and yet I find no antiques... they must be somewhere........???

Old doors, tables..... would love to find where to look

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

We only found one place,  in Santo Domingo, that was full of antique furniture, 90%of it mahogany. If you blink, you pass it.  It’s on José Contreras, west of Jiménez Moya (Churchill) about half a mile, on the left as you go west.  Lots of tables, chairs, armoires, closets, etc, workroom in back for repairs.  

Coming from 27 de Febrero towards ocean, José Contreras is down the hill, after Sarasota, the big Banco Reservas is on the far right corner.  Make a right there.  

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'll remember that - thanks

Exactly what I'm talking about....
It's often the larger pieces that survive... rather than the smaller

Ret.Cop

Jun 17, 2017
I've always wondered about this - where can one buy antiques in the DR?

I rarely see anything on corrotos or other places. Are there places in Santiago or the capitol?

What are Dominicans attitudes even towards antique furniture? I'm talking approx. 80 to 100 yr. plus stuff. Is there a market? Do Dominicans seek it out?

In the States I could go on for hours about antiques. Here I'm clueless on the subject.

If interested, we are planning leave the DR and want to sell some antique furniture from about 1850. Pleas sent me a PM. We live in Santiago.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There are very few shops in the capital ,much fewer than there were even 5 years ago ..All have closed except for one on Ave Boliva --parque Independecia end . When Francis Drake sacked Santo Domingo he took almost everything of value before moving on to Cartagena -

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
When Francis Drake sacked Santo Domingo he took almost everything of value before moving on to Cartagena -
Given that the raid took place in 1586, this event would not seem to explain the absense of 'newer' objects appearing over the last 420 years. 

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Given that the raid took place in 1586, this event would not seem to explain the absense of 'newer' objects appearing over the last 420 years. 
Oh, THAT Frank Drake.

But yeah, I can't afford 400 year old furniture anyways.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I am quite a bit surprised that not one poster has contributed their thoughts as to the effect that the Trujillo era may have played upon some of the antiques that have seemingly disappeared from the RD.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I do not want to be negative but the amount of quality furniture can't have been abundant. Let's face the facts. This is not europe, where you can still find the Louis's, biedermeier, Mechelen, Chesterfield and the fine french furniture. So what to expect? I collected fountain-pens in the ninetees ...never ever found something decent in SD. 

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
There is a good place called Gustavo Antiques on Bolivar and Dr Delgado, very close to the Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo. Coming from Parque Independencia it's one or two blocks on your left (you'll see some items of furniture outside). He has antiques which are local and also some that he has imported (or which were previously imported) from Europe. He restores them beautifully, and the place has a large upstairs so you definitely need maybe an hour there to rummage through what he has. He can also help you find a particular piece if he doesn't have it. I have bought a lot from him and I'm very happy with his service.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
If you are looking for small items, there is a also a fleamarket which takes place near to the Hodelpa hotel in Isabel La Catolica in the Zona Colonial Santo Domingo every Sunday and they also have some bits and pieces, things like old telephones and radios and sometimes some jewelry. I've also seen some stalls on the Conde selling antique phones and radios.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
If interested, we are planning leave the DR and want to sell some antique furniture from about 1850. Pleas sent me a PM. We live in Santiago.

Amen. We have some Chesterfields for sale and a Mercator map from Hispaniola. 16th century of course. The map I mean.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Over the yrs. I don' think you had many craftsman making beautiful pieces of furniture or painters creating master pieces. I think 95% of the population was just trying to survive.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
That's what I meant. And their was a big tendency to the U.S. lifestyle. Which is not very conservative. Instead of sharpening an old kitchen-knife they just buy a new one.
Good for the economy though.