Uber from Santiago airport to Cabarete

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Has anyone used Uber to go from Santiago Airport to Cabarete? I checked on their website and the fare is from 1594 pesos to 2178 pesos. Not quite sure why the fluctuation but even at 2178 pesos it is still an excellent deal considering that taxis cost more than double.
Are Uber even permitted to enter the airport? I know how the taxi drivers like to control the airports but I have a group of 4 arriving soon and I want to know whether the service is reliable enough to collect them.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jan 9, 2004
Has anyone used Uber to go from Santiago Airport to Cabarete? I checked on their website and the fare is from 1594 pesos to 2178 pesos. Not quite sure why the fluctuation but even at 2178 pesos it is still an excellent deal considering that taxis cost more than double.

Number of passengers, which may require a larger vehicle? Whether the trip is day or night? These are certainly valid reasons in the DR why the price may fluctuate.

Are Uber even permitted to enter the airport? I know how the taxi drivers like to control the airports but I have a group of 4 arriving soon and I want to know whether the service is reliable enough to collect them.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Good question? But I seem to recall people indicating they were being picked up at the airport by UBER....but have never verified it.

Even at the high end of the range, that price seems rather low....especially with $4.00+ USD for a gallon of gasoline.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
....Are Uber even permitted to enter the airport? I know how the taxi drivers like to control the airports but I have a group of 4 arriving soon and I want to know whether the service is reliable enough to collect them......

....Good question? But I seem to recall people indicating they were being picked up at the airport by UBER....but have never verified it.......

Two weeks ago, on a Sunday afternoon, I was picked up by Uber at STI. At first there were no Uber vehicles available in the area. I had a few things to do which I did and approximately 20 minutes later a vehicle was available. The Uber vehicle had no problem entering the airport and picking me up. That being said I can verify that yes, Uber is picking up at STI (when available).

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.......... but I have a group of 4 arriving soon and I want to know whether the service is reliable enough to collect them...........

Number of passengers, which may require a larger vehicle? Whether the trip is day or night? These are certainly valid reasons in the DR why the price may fluctuate......

A group of 4 with luggage and personal carry on will have a difficult time fitting into an Honda Accord. Also keep in mind a lot of the vehicles have a large propane tank in the trunk. So now, where does the luggage go? Sounds like your party may need two vehicles or a large SUV which I seriously doubt would be available.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Sorry forgot to mention, my Uber trip from STI was a short trip to Santiago monument area. To the OP keep in mind Uber drivers have the option to decline a request. Some drivers may think twice about that long haul for a few pesos.

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
It is a very short walk to exit the airport, so even if the Uber couldn't pick you up in the airport, you could walk to him.

The walk from the plane to outside is 5-10x longer than the walk from outside, to outside the airport property.

2 years ago, a friend picked us up, he was running a little late so we just met him on the road, saving him the trouble of entering the airport (no idea if there's a fee like there is in Puerto Plata)

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The OP stated that he or she has a group of four arriving and would like to have the group collected at the airport. I highly doubt he or she would want the group to be standing on the side of the road, luggage in tow, waiting for transportation to arrive on the first day of their vacation. It seems like a pre-arranged, air conditioned, mini-van may be the best option.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It seems extremely cheap - about half the price of a regular taxi. I don't see how the driver can make any money on that.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
What kind of truck would you need for four people plus luggage ???  No über car that I know of has enough space.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
I recently used UBER from STI to Sosua. Pickup at the airport was no problem.
(When I tried to use UBER from Sosua to STI there were no cars available)

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
And that is correct......It was about half the cost of the standard Taxi fare!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I recently used UBER from STI to Sosua. Pickup at the airport was no problem.
(When I tried to use UBER from Sosua to STI there were no cars available)

Just curious, did you use the free Wi-Fi at STI (if it actually exists) or did you arrive and have your personal data connection for Wi-Fi. UBER is great provided you have a Wi-Fi connection.

Just something the OP needs to think about for his arriving party of 4.

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
The OP stated that he or she has a group of four arriving and would like to have the group collected at the airport. I highly doubt he or she would want the group to be standing on the side of the road, luggage in tow, waiting for transportation to arrive on the first day of their vacation. It seems like a pre-arranged, air conditioned, mini-van may be the best option.

It never hurts to know your options (not just for the OP, but for anyone reading through these threads looking for info)

Personally, I'm with you, I have a baby this trip so I'll be booking a reliable driver and not messing with the uncertainty of Uber.

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
Just curious, did you use the free Wi-Fi at STI (if it actually exists) or did you arrive and have your personal data connection for Wi-Fi. UBER is great provided you have a Wi-Fi connection.

Just something the OP needs to think about for his arriving party of 4.

2 years ago my driver was running late ... I walked all over the place for 30 minutes trying to find Wi-Fi at the airport, I wasn't able to.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
With everything that has been said, let me recomment some folks I know that can provide good service for you and your friends.

Check out jjtransportation.rd.@hotmail.com

Tell them what time, how many and when and ask for a quote.

They can pick you up, go out to the airport, get your friends and go back to town.

Remember that Uber price is ONE WAY.....

Cordially,

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Note to Uber: Allow people to pre-arrange rides for a future date and allow easy confirmation on that date.