Digital Piano Rent, Ship or Buy from ATL or MIA

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Looking to either bring used Digital 88 key Roland Fantom,
Or rent similar in the DR for 4-5 months or try and buy there.
Am flying Delta then AA to POP. 
Anyone have experience bringing a keyboard on eithe  airline?
Alternatively any suggestion for shipper ideally from Atlanta or Miami?
Does a rental house exist in the DR or does anyone have one they'd rent?
If someone has brought keyboard into POP how did you handle customs?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Looks like it can be put as baggage per dimensions and if we get a hard case. 
Just not sure how POP will apply customs.
Will talk with Montero.
Concerned whichever way we go,  that it will be shipped carefully,  so once in DR will be in working condition.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I put mine in a golf bag, wrapped in a quilt and checked it as oversized luggage.

As a keyboard player myself, your post caught my interest.

Did you have an 88 note keyboard fit into a golf bag? The Roland Fantom is 1,408 mm (4' 6") long. Would that fit in a golf bag? I have taken a bass guitar in an ATA style case on a plane, but never transported my keyboards that way.

If you shipped it by air it would be about $4/lb X 65 lb = $260 using Encargopaq plus any duty.
The list price is around $4,700 US for a Roland Fantom so duty could be steep (as in half that cost) depending upon the method you choose.

The most reasonable way is probably door to door shipping by Awilda or Montero.

The only way to find out the total cost of shipping is to get a quote from the shipper.

I would be interested in seeing the prices quoted. Could be very costly if duty is charged.

If are able to get it on a plane, nobody can tell you what customs will do when you arrive in the DR.
That is a crap shoot. My best guess is that because it is musical equipment, they will not charge, but that is only my guess. The only way you can find out about what the airlines would do is to contact them. Baggage to the DR is treated differently than it is to many other locations and has additional restrictions when using US air lines.

I don't know of any music stores that rent, so such an arrangement would likely have to be private.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Looks like it can be put as baggage per dimensions and if we get a hard case. 
Just not sure how POP will apply customs.
Will talk with Montero.
Concerned whichever way we go,  that it will be shipped carefully,  so once in DR will be in working condition.

If that works, it might be your best way. Customs? Nobody can be sure.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
The Fantom won't fit in a golf bag.  It's an older model probably worth less than $1000.
Worst case would be 50% for customs on anything over $200?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Fantom won't fit in a golf bag.  It's an older model probably worth less than $1000.
Worst case would be 50% for customs on anything over $200?

Nor would have my Roland XV-88 which came in a container fit in a golf bag.

I have seen charges as much as 65% of the value. The DR government would set the value if you don't produce an invoice.

Shippers will require an invoice.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have a question. Where will you be living while here? My question is in regards to how close to the ocean you will be. The salt air is not kind on this type of digital instrument. And the Dominican power grid can "spike" that instrument right out of existence.

(The high humidity is not kind to acoustic guitars made of solid hard woods that swell up and deform, but that is a different topic.)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Nor would have my Roland XV-88 which came in a container fit in a golf bag.

I have seen charges as much as 65% of the value. The DR government would set the value if you don't produce an invoice.

Shippers will require an invoice.

A mudanza won't normally ask for anything....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just an aside that might be of interest to others that find this thread. I have had various instruments including a Hammond C3 with Leslie speaker, Hohner Clavinet, Fender Rhodes, ARP 2600 and Odyssey synthesizers, RMI piano and more.

Now when I play a gig, I use a Midi controller keyboard hooked via USB to a computer for all of those sounds and far more. The sounds are supplied by software called Virtual Instruments.

Midi controller keyboards are less expensive and less prone to have problems from electrical and environmental issues as well as being able to provide a vast range of sounds. The sounds can be produced from PCs as well as some tablets and smart phones. As much as I would like the latest and greatest Yamaha or NORD keyboard, it makes no sense to go that way any more. Virtual Instruments, a computing device to host them and a MIDI controller keyboard are great alternative approach to check into.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Looking to either bring used Digital 88 key Roland Fantom,
Or rent similar in the DR for 4-5 months or try and buy there.
Am flying Delta then AA to POP. 
Anyone have experience bringing a keyboard on eithe  airline?
Alternatively any suggestion for shipper ideally from Atlanta or Miami?
Does a rental house exist in the DR or does anyone have one they'd rent?
If someone has brought keyboard into POP how did you handle customs?

You can rent it in the DR. Just browse the páginas amarillas and you’ll find myriads of rental sources.
The price is somewhat dependent on how long you need it for.
They also sell their used rental instruments.
Rule of thumb is that bringing an used instrument with you from abroad, will always be cheaper than the options in the DR.

Aug 21, 2007
Ann and I spoke, but for the others here replying, I brought a new 88 key digital piano into the DR. (Remember, Windeguy?) I purchased a hard case for the instrument at Guitar Center and checked it as oversize luggage. Upon arriving at customs, they didn't know what to do. There was much discussion, but I insisted it was for personal use and eventually, they let me through without paying anything.

I think the cheapest way to go is to check it on the plane. Take the risk that customs doesn't get uptight. Be calm and all will go well.

Lindsey

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Just an aside that might be of interest to others that find this thread. I have had various instruments including a Hammond C3 with Leslie speaker, Hohner Clavinet, Fender Rhodes, ARP 2600 and Odyssey synthesizers, RMI piano and more.

Now when I play a gig, I use a Midi controller keyboard hooked via USB to a computer for all of those sounds and far more. The sounds are supplied by software called Virtual Instruments.

Midi controller keyboards are less expensive and less prone to have problems from electrical and environmental issues as well as being able to provide a vast range of sounds. The sounds can be produced from PCs as well as some tablets and smart phones. As much as I would like the latest and greatest Yamaha or NORD keyboard, it makes no sense to go that way any more. Virtual Instruments, a computing device to host them and a MIDI controller keyboard are great alternative approach to check into.

Am looking at reviews on them. Anyone you recommend for a Mac?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Am looking at reviews on them. Anyone you recommend for a Mac?

Midi controllers don't (at least in Windows or Linux) care which computer OS you are using. They only care that you have a way to connect them.

Most can connect via MIDI, which means you would need a simple MIDI to MAC computer interface.

or, likely to be the option in your case with a MAC most MIDI controllers can also connect via USB, so you would need a USB to MAC interface if your MAC does not already have USB. Does your MAC have a USB interface?

Back to the choice of a MIDI controller. If you are used to a piano and not an organ/synth style keyboard feel, be sure you get one with at least semi-weighted or fully weighted action for a true piano feel.

https://www.gearank.com/guides/88-key-midi-controllers

https://www.gearank.com/guides/88-key-midi-controllers#20148

Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.7 or higher and Windows Vista, 7 & 8 or higher for the Nektar Impact LX88+ (that is probably for the included additional software, I suspect the keyboard will play through any computer with a USB interface.

[video=youtube;-FBPurWlkSI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FBPurWlkSI[/video]

Last edited:

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Montero quoted $125 from Miami for the Fantom.  Have decided that humidity could mess up Fantom so have decided to go with M-Audio 61 key controller.
Weight is less than 11 lbs but dimensions are 39 x 3.62 x 9.37.  Cost only $169.  Not sure if we will take it on plane or check in as luggage. If checking in need to clarify with AA if the box is strong enough and permitted now.
Since it's under $200 with receipt hope to not have to deal with customs.
Also will check with Montero but seems could take a month and waiting on quote from CPS air freight.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
AA will not normally take boxes to the DR. It is in their discussion on their web site that they don't take boxes to the DR.

They might take it in an ATA case, which will probably cost more than the $169.

A better option will probably be to have a shipping company ship it in the original box.
There should be no issue with customs at that price.

I use the M-Audio 61 version 1 to play gigs here.

(That was a good price to bring in a Fantom from Montero, but yes there is the risk from the salt air.)

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
AA took both boxes,  which for future reference have to be checked inside not at curb. Both boxes were later opened by TSA, who did a great job adding even more tape to both boxes.
Keyboard controller could have fit in overhead, but check in agent said it was too big. On board saw telephone agent was right.
Overhead was plenty big enough.
At POP, they brought the boxes in by side door not on conveyor belt.
Was stopped to put boxes through scanner,  but then were free to leave.
Mission accomplished.