Question about Benadryl

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Hello folks, I’m currently staying in playa dorado and one of our guests has had an allergic reaction to something. I had a handful of Benadryl that she has already gone through and may need more before our trip ends.  I’m wondering if Benadryl exists here. And if not, is there an alternative I can ask for at the pharmacy?  Thank you! 

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
I have purchased Benadryl at the pharmacy inside the little mall in Playa Dorado before. They dont always have it, they usually keep it on the wall behind the cashier. If they do not have any check the store that is across the hall from the Rock and Roll bar, I have seen it there on the wall across from where the smokes are and in the store that is next to that one as well.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Sounds like you need something better then Benadryl if you have used a lot of it already and its not working.

It may be working, but if the allergen is still around it will need to be topped up every twelve hours or more often. Identifying the culprit and eliminating it may be difficult in the resort environment.

wbr

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What type of allergic reaction are we talking about? Watery eyes, sniffles, scratchy throat or skin rash/hives, difficulty swallowing something else or all of the above?

Your answer will help with a recommendation for symptom relief.

Jan 7, 2016
The issue with taking large, recurrent amounts of Benadryl is that severe drowsiness is a common side-effect and can affect one's ability to do tasks like drive, fly or even walk straight.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Really.  It’s the active ingredient in Tylenol PM, Advil PM, etc.  I buy it on its own, without the painkillers, works great.  

Isn't that the stuff that give you twitches in the legs? I seem to remember something about that.

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Thank you to everyone for your help! We pumped the benadryl into her to get through the wedding day, but wound up at the medical centre Sunday morning. IV, injections, the gamut. But the swelling in her eyes and face subsided almost immediately and enabled her to travel home yesterday - we arrived back early this morning. Doctor there suggested it was caused by a reaction to the Hawaiian Tropics sunscreen she used. We have no better theory. Just happy it's over and happy they have medical travel insurance to pay them back for the tourist prices! She'll follow up with her GP here in Canada but we're all grateful that sega ended well. And grateful for the help from the DR1 Community!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Isn't that the stuff that give you twitches in the legs? I seem to remember something about that.

Never heard that, and I’ve taken it for years.  There HAVE been some studies that suggest it may cause dementia or Alzheimer’s, I forget which.