Food Safety Concerns

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOlV88RKTXs

From a food safety standpoint this video is a disaster. The chef is touching everything in the kitchen after handling raw chicken. No wonder everyone walks around w diarrhea down there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgjWBpnKt-Y

Text book food safety being practiced. The meat must be weeks old, the mayo has been sitting out in the hot sun all damn day for crissakes. Yet the guy keeps saying wow delicious. You would be lucky if you didn't end up the hospital.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
you eat chimi on the street you deserve what you get. normally not out during the day. I live a block off the malecon, by the napolitano have not had the chimi carts in that area since they got the parks open. now have the casitas.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Text book food safety being practiced. The meat must be weeks old, the mayo has been sitting out in the hot sun all damn day for crissakes. Yet the guy keeps saying wow delicious. You would be lucky if you didn't end up the hospital.

I doubt I would eat anything from the guy in the video. There is a Venezuelan food truck evening hours 30 de marzo and bolivar, SD I have eaten from and never once got sick. Only thing with these food carts you have to be fast or they will squirt that ketchup and mayo faster than you can blink an eye. I always get these weird looks when I tell them just mustard on my hot dog.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I doubt I would eat anything from the guy in the video. There is a Venezuelan food truck evening hours 30 de marzo and bolivar, SD I have eaten from and never once got sick. Only thing with these food carts you have to be fast or they will squirt that ketchup and mayo faster than you can blink an eye. I always get these weird looks when I tell them just mustard on my hot dog.

Re the chef in video....aside from the gloves, etc. He's making Chicken Parmigiana for Pete's sake! Starts off great, pounds the chicken, dredges in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs, then fries. Just like an Italian would. Then he plates it and sprinkles that god-awful Kraft boxed parmigana cheese on the top and says it's done. Arghhhh!!!!

I'm with you on the hot dogs - mustard only. Unless there's good sauerkraut available :)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

going to have to try this some time dropped RG84 off there a couple of times when he lived in that area but never tried it myself.

They don't understand mustard at all

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........I'm with you on the hot dogs - mustard only. Unless there's good sauerkraut available :)

Used to be one of the perks of flying out of SDQ, Nathans Hot Dog with mustard and kraut. The Venezuelan food cart puts something similar on their hots which I haven't quite figured out what it is but really tasty. I know I could ask but the guessing game is more fun. They may tell me and I may go Yuck..............

Nathans Agora Mall is the only spot I know that has sauerkraut.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Used to be one of the perks of flying out of SDQ, Nathans Hot Dog with mustard and kraut. The Venezuelan food cart puts something similar on their hots which I haven't quite figured out what it is but really tasty. I know I could ask but the guessing game is more fun. They may tell me and I may go Yuck..............

Nathans Agora Mall is the only spot I know that has sauerkraut.

Might be able to get it at one of the German places that pop up from time to time.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
the one by my apartment does not even have brats at times let alone sauerkraut.

I always felt that a good hot dog place would do well there. W real nathans type franks , sauerkraut, chili, and the papaya juice would be easy to make. Even the hot dogs down there, yuk. Does a place like Pricesmart carry good hot dogs?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I've seen Nathans dogs. You gonna open a cart?

I like that idea, cause there's less for flies to land on. If the buns are wrapped up and the dogs in water, nothing for those filthty things to land on.

And have some Grey Poupon.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I've seen Nathans dogs. You gonna open a cart?

I like that idea, cause there's less for flies to land on. If the buns are wrapped up and the dogs in water, nothing for those filthty things to land on.

And have some Grey Poupon.

I like them on the flat top with a little char

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Some places closed.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local...lack-of-hygiene-shutters-restaurant-colmados/

"Bug alert: lack of hygiene shutters restaurant, colmados"

Santo Domingo.- The National Consumer Protection Institute (Pro Consumidor) on Thurs. afternoon shuttered the restaurant “Delicias Campestre” in the capital’s Chinatown, and other businesses such as colmados for the presence of bugs and for mishandling products offered to customers.
In a statement, the agency said inspectors found pests that affected the foods sold to the public, and the personnel prepared such food, “in an inappropriate manner.”
Pro Consumidor said the businesses were shuttered “for violating basic standards of hygiene and the inadequate conservation of food, which implies an imminent risk to the health of consumers.”
On its website, the agency added that the restaurant will not reopen “until the conditions of hygiene and quality of its facilities and the products that are commercialized are corrected, as a guarantee that they do not affect the lives of consumers and users.”

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
.......Have visited many countries in latin and south America.....the D.R. is about as good as it is on food safety, never had a problem here...... the worst was Mexico, the Pacific coast and the interior....stopped going there in the 1980s every trip was the same for most people I know, Montezumas revenge for all ....and some to take home.........Doc.......

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
There is a pica pollo on Calle El Conde in the Colonial Zone that is long overdue from a visit from any existing consumer protection entity. Roaches, both large and small, travel freely throughout the place. I've seen employees stomp the slow and infirm ones with their feet. There's evidence of the presence of rodents, if one looks closely. Since a large portion of the roof on the second floor has collapsed, water from the frequent rains flood the floors of the restaurant. There's a mad scramble to unsuccessfully move the already-cooked-food around, to keep it from flooding also. If the rain persists, and the dozen or so buckets and odd containers fail to contain the 15-20 leaks, the restaurant sometimes closes for the day. I'll leave the food handling in the kitchen, along with what happens with the food that's not sold that day, for another day. Waste not!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local...lack-of-hygiene-shutters-restaurant-colmados/

"Bug alert: lack of hygiene shutters restaurant, colmados"

Santo Domingo.- The National Consumer Protection Institute (Pro Consumidor) on Thurs. afternoon shuttered the restaurant “Delicias Campestre” in the capital’s Chinatown, and other businesses such as colmados for the presence of bugs and for mishandling products offered to customers.
In a statement, the agency said inspectors found pests that affected the foods sold to the public, and the personnel prepared such food, “in an inappropriate manner.”
Pro Consumidor said the businesses were shuttered “for violating basic standards of hygiene and the inadequate conservation of food, which implies an imminent risk to the health of consumers.”
On its website, the agency added that the restaurant will not reopen “until the conditions of hygiene and quality of its facilities and the products that are commercialized are corrected, as a guarantee that they do not affect the lives of consumers and users.”

Wow, that’s one of the restaurants recommended in the Chinese food thread a week or so ago.  :chinese:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You be the judge.

Any long time DR1'r know they have to be the judge of food safety. The government is choosy at best towards vendors regarding its enforcement of food sanitation regulations. Don't expect a warm and fuzzy feeling that the government is looking out for your welfare. It's attempts doing so are weak.

Visiting tourists need to do their homework about where they visit and this includes quality of food services being promoted at tourist locations. Websites such as TripAdvisor, (especially after being corrected for censorship ) are an assistance. Consults to DR1 are good. If staying at a resort do not be shy to notify administrators, (ask for names), if food quality and food environment is questionable.

If out on your own, no matter where you go, let your eyes, nose, and intelligence be the guide to food safety and a good bite.

Regards,

PJT