planning a dive trip to D.R.

Denise Graves

Mar 17, 2002
I'd like to plan a dive trip to the Dominican Rep. for this June or July but am having difficulty finding detailed info on Dive-friendly hotels and resorts...where exactly they are located, any with shore diving or snorkeling right by the hotel, which airport would be closest, which hotels are within walking distance to other hotels, restaurants, shopping, etc., any with onsite dive shops? I would appreciate any feedback!

thanks, Denise Graves dgravescam@aol.com

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Most resorts have dive centers located right in the resort.
Not too much shore diving here (altho' may be some in the Punta Cana, Bavaro area) because of the coral reef barrier. East coast is best area for diving (Boca Chica, Juan Dolio,Bayahibe) for coral, caves, wrecks.
PC,Bavaro shallower with lots of small fish,turtles etc.
North coast (Puerta Plata,Sosua,Cabrete) are on the Atlantic Ocean side....rougher,colder water.
Hope this helps.........

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Especially check out the resorts in the Bayahibe area in the southeast (La Romana). Lots of great dives in that area. Samana in the northeast is also another good choice for a diving vacation.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Diving

In Sosua it seems that they whole place if full of divers. I don't know where the water is warmer or colder but in Sosua (northest) the water is warm at the beach.

Do a search on the web for Northeast Diving in Sosua. Brad is the owner and a great guy who runs a great business. Always busy so that must say something. I only know him socially and not professionally but every time I go into the shop its packed.

If you cant find email for him or web site send me email and I will get it for you.

Regards

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Where to????

Do you know where you will be going???
If you do the info will be more specific.
My suggestion is to post again once you know which part of the island you will be on.
Hubby has gone "shark" diving today. 1 1/2 hr. bus ride then 3 hrs by boat to get to the site.....he's been waiting 6 yrs for the opportunity to go however it's such a long trip there and back the dive operators in Juan Dolio don't go except by special request.
He finally found some divers from Germany last year who came back this year to specifically do a shark dive. So he helped arrange the excursion. At $150. US for the day it is pretty inexpensive considering most "resort" dive centers here are charging $85-$90.US to go to Catalina for the day-plus $45.US for dive (we go for $50. plus $25 for 1 dive $45. for 2)