how to stop mold build up in car

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I came back to santo domingo after being away for 3 months and there was mold on the inside of the car...any recommendations on what to do to stop this
the mold wasn't there after my previous trip

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Use a product like Damp-Rid or large silica gel packs.
Leave a window open just enough to let air in.

I have the same issue with my car in the UK.
What I use is at the link below. You can put them in the oven to re-charge them.

https://www.amazon.com/Gram-Aluminu...D=41seJwJQc5L&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

How long do these last before needing a recharge?  

I guess we’ve been lucky so far.  We fill the car and engine with Bounce dryer sheets, camphor cubes and mothballs.  Last trip was the first time with any issues - there was a mice nest behind front grill, but they never touched any wires or went inside, thank god.  

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How long do these last before needing a recharge?  

I guess we’ve been lucky so far.  We fill the car and engine with Bounce dryer sheets, camphor cubes and mothballs.  Last trip was the first time with any issues - there was a mice nest behind front grill, but they never touched any wires or went inside, thank god.  

They change color when they need re-charging.
The most I have ever left them in the car for is 3 months, they need re-charging.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Been experiencing a spotty white mold in my kitchen cabinets from high humidity, would the 40 gram Canisters help to reduce or eliminate this problem.......

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
most of the taxistas in Santo Domingo use the camphor cubes which are sold on the street corners there - mothballs - really - I assume that they fall into the same class as the Vicks Vapo Rub - which is the Dominican Cure For Everything. So before leaving a car, i would pack them up with those as well

where does the expression "mothball the fleet" come from? just a curious question..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Been experiencing a spotty white mold in my kitchen cabinets from high humidity, would the 40 gram Canisters help to reduce or eliminate this problem.......

Probably not. Desiccants work best in enclosed spaces that are not opened and closed often. They don't have much impact on environmental humidity. White powder, probably mildew. Easiest fix, wipe down the surface with a weak cloro & water solution. Cloro kills the mold/mildew and the water wipes it away.

Spray products such as Lysol can kill mold, mildew & bacteria but obviously do not remove the dead creatures from the surface of the item. We leave a couple of cabinet doors and infrequently used drawers open every day for a few hours in a round robin fashion. We also leave our clothes closet doors open about an inch at both ends to allow for air exchange.

Mothballs do nothing for mold otherwise they'd be called mold-balls. The smell like cloro and pine-sol have become associated with an assumed state of cleanliness and sterility.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I put these in my closet when leaving. I would come back and all my clothes were smelling moldy. This isn't the same brand in the stores, but they look similar. I think you'll find them in the laundry section usually. They have desiccant beads in them, you come back and it's full of water.

These would work great in a car that's sitting for a couple months.
For something like a kitchen you'll need a dehumidifier for the room.

closet-humidity-control-products-closet-humidity-control-products-keep-it-dry-67-oz-closet-dehumidifier-case-of-6-7556-the-1000-x-1000.jpg

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
A friend of mine left his car at my place here in the DR for a few months and it got mouldy inside. Next time, he left the windows open just a crack and there was no mould.

Jan 9, 2004
Plenty of commercial products out there will do the job, but there are other products that are less expensive..........and do just as good a job.

You can use an open container of baking soda inside the vehicle...........and if you cannot find or have access to baking soda, rice in an open container will also absorb the moisture......which is usually the catalyst necessary to give rise to mold.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2