Government approved first aid kit for cars

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I am having hysterics. As has been discussed before there is a new law here you need to have a government approved triangle and first aid kit in your car in case of breakdown or accidents.As you are all aware the DR has the highest rate of road accident deaths in the world so this is a good initiative. If you don't have them the fine is just over US$100, so Mr. Matilda bought them. The triangle is 6 inches tall - if that, needs a degree in engineering to put together, and may be spotted by a passing ferret but certainly not a motorist. The first aid kit is perfect for a major or minor car accident- NOT. Bottle of oxygenated water to clean wounds, little bottle of alcohol (not Brugal), a strip of acetaminophen tablets (for immediate pain relief one assumes), taypee (just a little), an elastic bandage (sprain in car accident?), one gauze pad, a walnut size piece of cotton wool (not in sterilized packaging), 5 sticks to see if you have a sore throat (not in packaging), and a pair of latex gloves (not in packaging). Just hope I don't have a serious car crash here!!!

11aftvs.jpg

Matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Funny, except for the triangle, this is pretty much what the government gives out for free at all the tollbooths leaving Santo Domingo during Semana Santa.  

Isn’t there supposed to be a blanket too?  :)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yes you need blanket and fire extinguisher but the first aid kit made me laugh

Matilda

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I am curious if rental cars come with these required items. Does anyone know? I did not see this in the previous thread.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
And by the time (if ever) you need to use the liquids they'll have completely dried up as well as the bandaids.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi Matilda, when you say "Approved" do you mean the Gob has made a "specification " for these items? If so can you give us the link or the text for each requirement?
My understanding is that you require :
A fire extinguisher
A Warning Triangle
A Reflective Jacket or Vest
A first Aid Kit

Never heard of the "Blanket" -is it a Fire blanket or a cuddly one ?

Also Although there has been a "List of fines" I have never seen any official list so is the "Near $100 " right ?
If you know of an official list can you post the link.

Olly

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Hi Matilda, when you say "Approved" do you mean the Gob has made a "specification " for these items? If so can you give us the link or the text for each requirement?
A fire extinguisher
A Warning Triangle
A first Aid Kit

Also Although there has been a "List of fines" I have never seen any official list so is the "Near $100 " right ?

Olly

New transit Law 63-17. All traffic infractions punishable by fines and/or jail, depending on offence. Minor infraction minimum fine is one month minimum salary (public sector) currently RD$5,117. Here in Spanish:
18.-Clasificación de las Infracciones. El artículo 300 de la Ley, divide las infracciones de tránsito en tres grupos: 1. Infracciones Leves: aquellas que se castigan de tres días a un mes de prisión y multas de un salario mínimo del sector público centralizado; 2. Infracciones menos graves: aquellas que se castigan de un mes a tres meses de prisión y multa de cinco a cincuenta salarios mínimos del sector público centralizado; 3. Infracciones graves: aquellas que se castigan de tres meses a tres años de prisión y multa de cinco a cincuenta salarios mínimos del sector público centralizado.

Summary of the rest of the law here http://diariodespertar.com/aspectos...-y-seguridad-vial-de-la-republica-dominicana/

I couldn't find a blanket or reflective jacket but yes fire extinguisher, triangle, first aid kit. The contents of the first aid kit are not specified but this one has the standard contents. The law is 125 pages long.

Matilda

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
As I asked recently in the other thread on this subject, has any member actually been asked by AMET to prove they have any of these items - and I mean personal experiences, not just heard of someone who has?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
As I asked recently in the other thread on this subject, has any member actually been asked by AMET to prove they have any of these items - and I mean personal experiences, not just heard of someone who has?

As nobody has answered this question that they have been checked by AMET, either in this thread or the other one, I assume nobody has and that the whole panic to buy these items was just a scam to get gringos to part with their cash!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is part of the new law. Whether AMET are imposing the new law or not is another question. You can read the law 63-17 in Spanish all 125 pages of it if you google it. It also explains to you how to drive! My husband (Dominican) was driving the other day and his car broke down. AMET stopped and warned him he should have a triangle behind and asked where his first aid kit was. They let him off but told him next time he would not be so lucky and he should obey the law. Your choice - for RD$750 pesos for both is no major choice methinks.

Matilda

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
A fire extinguisher
A Warning Triangle
A first Aid Kit

Olly

Every fine i have ever seen has been 1667 pesos. Speeding, running red lights,too many people in the front seat. no seat bets. $40.00