Reported Lug Nut Scam

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This was posted on Facebook by Lu Cy on 3rd November.

The ol “Lug Nut Trick”.
Just to remind everyone to walk around your car often and make sure all of your tire “lug nuts” are present. About a year ago I found one lug nut missing on each tire. “Coincidentally” the local gomeria had 4 lug nuts exactly like the ones I was missing! I won’t tell you what I paid for them! This morning my wife called me from outside Santiago because of a severe vibration in the front end. Come to find out that 3 of the tires had ONE lug nut missing and one tire had TWO missing. As a result, the tire rim sheared off two of the lug nut threaded studs. Not good. She stopped at a gomeria and they were able to temporarily “fix” the vibrating tire. So…one tire with only three lug nuts. Another “coincidence” happened just after she left that gomeria a few meters down the road. She was pulled over by a local offering assistance due to a “wobbly tire” (that was really not wobbling)! He even had some sort of “elbow looking thing” in his hand and naturally had a mechanic he knew that could fix it! HA!! So…..the wife say’s “no thanks” and the guy pretended to throw the part back under with wheel well. Another HA!!!...because it really went back into his pocket. All that said, I usually check my lug nuts when I think about it…..every month or so maybe? I think it’s probably the best idea to check them before you dive you car! Don’t worry…the wife is at a good place in STI getting the studs replaced. I am into the “law of averages” and normally this sort of thing does not happen to us often…..but when it rains…it pours! Be aware!! Respectfully.

Check the wheel Nuts if you have left your vehicle somewhere for a while unattended. One nut missing not to bad, two nuts really bad and you could loose the wheel and overturn on a bend ! Olly and the Team

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
That's a new one on me. I have heard of cases where someone has car wheels stolen and finds his car sitting on cinder blocks.... It sounds like the work of a prankster.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
That is not quite as hard to beiieve as the guy last week claiming someone had driven a nail into his tire with his hand!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's a new one on me. I have heard of cases where someone has car wheels stolen and finds his car sitting on cinder blocks.... It sounds like the work of a prankster.

That happened to a colleg friend of mine.... nicely jacked.

He got all new rims & tires.
Gone that night - again

No niceties the second time , they didn’t even return the originals 

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...there are locking lug nuts that require a special wrench ... if you use a regular wrench on them they just turn and do not come off.....

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
I had all my hubcaps stolen one time. A new hubcaps store had opened in the neighborhood a few months earlier. I suspected that they were somehow involved in my missing caps. Walmart sells new generic hubcaps very cheap (something like $10 for a four-pack) but I went to this new hubcaps place any way to see what they had. They wanted ~ $50 each for used oem hubcaps just like the ones stolen :rolleyes: I declined their offer and I mention that I can get new hubcaps from Walmart for $2.50 each. A few months later, they were gone - out of business.