Are the PN this corrupt in Sosua

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
OK I have had a couple experiences with the police which didn't please me, (one shake down for $100) but I do my best to keep a low profile and I don't mess with drugs, or street hookers although in my salad days...:)
But this report is disturbing - that Fabio Garcia is posting as a prophylactic article in case he's murdered..........I guess there is no real freedom of the press in DR ?

Really - drug deliveries - all I get delivered is 5 gallon bottles of water and soggy pizza.

http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/las-tr...-y-ponen-precio-a-su-cabeza-desde-la-policia/

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Maybe try to get the PN to deliver your pizza. It will get there quicker cause those goofs don't know how to turn the friggin light bar off and the tip will not only work as a bribe but a tip too.
This should eliminate soggy pizza.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
At least 50% of a typical workday for the PN here in Sosua is spent generating revenue that is shared up the detachment chain of command. At the end of every shift, the tithes are doled out to the entitled ones. Those that don't meet expectations, get to look after chickens and worse as an incentive towards future professional development.

Yes it is this bad in this little bay by the sea.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Yes but what to do with a salary of a couple of pesos a month, several open mouths at home and a second mujer?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
A lot of motoconcha drivers supplement their income by delivering drugs to gringos.

A motoconch would need a binder full of bonafide outstanding references before I had him deliver drugs to my house. Besides, I get in enough trouble with Brugal.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A motoconch would need a binder full of bonafide outstanding references before I had him deliver drugs to my house. Besides, I get in enough trouble with Brugal.

That's why I switched to Barcelo - hangovers much milder

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A lot of motoconcha drivers supplement their income by delivering drugs to gringos.

Then there are some flat out retarded Gringos here - That's why they drug test for residency

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
........most of the lowest level P.N. IN Santiago are paid app 5k pesos a month and live in a dorm. all together.......few months ago my expensive wood lawn furniture was stolen.... talked to the 2 P.N. that patrol my neighborhood gave them 200 pesos... and like magic 3 days later my furniture was back...... money well spent, but if you make it a habit of giving them money they will be knocking on your door every month looking for more........Doc......

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
OK I have had a couple experiences with the police which didn't please me, (one shake down for $100) but I do my best to keep a low profile and I don't mess with drugs, or street hookers although in my salad days...:)
But this report is disturbing - that Fabio Garcia is posting as a prophylactic article in case he's murdered..........I guess there is no real freedom of the press in DR ?

Really - drug deliveries - all I get delivered is 5 gallon bottles of water and soggy pizza.

http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/las-tr...-y-ponen-precio-a-su-cabeza-desde-la-policia/

100 pesos is nada

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Yeah but it was dollars, not pesos - a C-note, a Benjamin Franklin, a crisp greenback. And that is a few dinners and a nice bottle of Barcelo
 Just out of Curiosity, did the shakedown artists have guns drawn pointing in the general direction of your head? Just seems like an exorbitant sum to hand over if you were doing nothing wrong and I'm saying that you were. A "C-note" for a simple shake down sets a very bad precedent...just my opinion.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

So what had you done to pay them à 100 dollar???

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
When they pay the PN a salary that they might be able to live on then we can all expect them to act in a more professional manner. When the budget increases for training and salaries we will be able to demand a more professional and integrated police service. It will take a few generations to achieve this. Unfortunately I am too old to offer my services. Good luck!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
 Just out of Curiosity, did the shakedown artists have guns drawn pointing in the general direction of your head? Just seems like an exorbitant sum to hand over if you were doing nothing wrong and I'm saying that you were. A "C-note" for a simple shake down sets a very bad precedent...just my opinion.

It was to get my towed car back - yet it was not parked illegally. I was on PC in a regular curb space, no construction going on. This was several years ago.
This is what the sergeant in the police station demanded to get my car released. Since I was driving to SD for an appointment the next morning I needed my car (I'm not a bus guy). I knew I shouldn't have paid it and for sure now I wouldn't.
I am sure they had a laugh about the stupid gringo and no guns were drawn.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Far be it for me to make a statement on police corruption in the DR. I have not had any such negative experiences. Do know that it happens in the U.S. as well. I know of a resident that gives a small gift to an officer from time-to-time when he sees the officer. When the resident had an inconvenience in the Colonial Zone and called the officer for advice, the officer told the resident to put the problem person on the phone, and the matter was RESOLVED immediately. It was a simple dispute with a hotel that tried to milk the resident. Call it what you want, but do not pretend that this only happens in the DR. As a child in the U.S., I know of a parent who called a co-worker whose husband was a sergeant in a major city department when a beat officer failed to take a matter seriously. The matter was resolved after the call. If anything, DR levels the playing field.

Last edited:

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
When they pay the PN a salary that they might be able to live on then we can all expect them to act in a more professional manner. When the budget increases for training and salaries we will be able to demand a more professional and integrated police service.

It takes more than money and training to professionalize a police force. You have to raise the admission standards. You have to instill an absolute distaste for bad conduct and violating citizen rights. My university police department represents an example. You needed at least a bachelor's to apply when I studied there in the 1980s, and many officers had a master's degree. The command staff had an absolute distaste for unprofessional conduct. Bad police officers exists in places with very nice police salaries, but low admission standards and no distaste for bad behavior. The current investigation of the NYC officers that allegedly raped a handcuffed teen in the wagon represents just one example. The Philadelphia officers who took drug money from drug dealers and told them to sell more drugs represent an example. Theses guys make good money, so they lack an excuse. These departments need a command structure that truly hates corruption and cares about true law enforcement, which is harder to find that one realizes.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
It is too bad that the PN are so underpaid that they have to take bribes. I feed several PN when I come down I also give them police souvenires. They are very appreciative. I know the stories about the corrupt police but the ones I have met are good people.