CA glue (Cyanoacrylate)

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Does anyone know where in SD we can buy CA glue (Crazy Glue, Super Glue etc.) with CA?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I purchased a tube of that glue at Ceducompp in Puerto Plata. They are also in Santo Domingo. Perhaps you could call to ask.

809-227-1102

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Coqui seems to be what they use here - a type of glue (strong)

Not sure of the ingredient.
available everywhere

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Although most colmados and hardware stores (ferreterias) will know the product instantaneously when you ask for "Coqui", you will rarely see the word "Coqui" on the actual tubes when presented the item. It is most commonly sold in small 3gram amounts, in a red tube with a yellow and white cap, and the brand name Primera.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have seen a package with 'Coqui ' on it... and used it

Package - not tube perhaps --
to give the benefit of the doubt

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I am sure that the product I am familiar with is of the highest (Chinese) standards. A red tube, accompanied by the brand name Primera, along with 5 stars and the assurance in English that it is "First Quality". It reminds me of the glue that was once included within the kit used to patch my bicycle tires as a youth. Little needle top as well to puncture the opening. Usually sold in strips similar to disposable razors for the ease of sale in the colmado. To be used with madera, goma, plastico, papel, metalico and piel or shall I say wood, rubber, plastic, paper, metal and leather.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Thanks everyone! Everything you have said sounds well and good. But if the actual glue is not Cyanoacrylate it doesn't matter how high quality it is, it won't do the job that we need it for. :) I will pass on this info to my friend and hopefully it will say CA on the label.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I just checked the tube and packaging of the item I recommended and it does not state whether it is a Cyanoacrylate adhesive, nor does it address at all which compounds it may contain. I suspect if you were to specifically ask of this in a ferreteria here in RD you would be met with many blank stares.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
I just checked the tube and packaging of the item I recommended and it does not state whether it is a Cyanoacrylate adhesive, nor does it address at all which compounds it may contain. I suspect if you were to specifically ask of this in a ferreteria here in RD you would be met with many blank stares.

Thanks Caonabo, this is what I suspected. It seems that 'Crazy Glue', 'Super Glue', 'Gorilla Glue', 'Instant Glue' brands etc. haven't been introduced in the DR. And most glues don't list their chemical makeup. A 'signature' of CA glue is that they are clear, sell in tiny amounts, and have a distinctive odor.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This may help better -

The Coqui , like the Krazy Glue and the Super Glue , is a glue based on cyanoacrylate (which I will refer to, henceforth, by its term in English, cyanoacrylate ). Cyanoacrylates were invented in 1942 by Dr. Harry Coover, of Kodak Laboratories, looking for a way to create extra-clear synthetic sights for rifles in World War II. This idea was not successful and was left aside. Six years later, I would try to use the substance as an alternative for the glasses of the aircraft cabins. This also did not succeed, but he did discover that the substance glued materials together with great force and speed.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
http://americana.com.do/000001079605.html

coqui | Resultados de la búsqueda | Punto y seguido.
https://ballistic.wordpress.com/index.php?s=coqui
Translate this page
Dec 9, 2005 - El Coqui, al igual que el Krazy Glue y el Super Glue, es un pegamento a base de cianoacrilato (al cual me referiré, en lo sucesivo, por su ...

Thanks William that's helpful. I learned a lot today on this. The Ceducompp in SD does not have it. Nor did The Ferreteria on El Conde. Lanco (in SD) does make a Super Glue with CA, don't know where they sell it yet. The Super Glue you mentioned (Americana) looks like it should have CA but it's way too far north for my friend. Will keep all posted...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Read post #13

Coqui - I say again - is what you want

Here----

The Coqui , like the Krazy Glue and the Super Glue , is a glue based on cyanoacrylate (which I will refer to, henceforth, by its term in English, cyanoacrylate ). Cyanoacrylates were invented in 1942 by Dr. Harry Coover, of Kodak Laboratories, looking for a way to create extra-clear synthetic sights for rifles in World War II. This idea was not successful and was left aside. Six years later, I would try to use the substance as an alternative for the glasses of the aircraft cabins. This also did not succeed, but he did discover that the substance glued materials together with great force and speed.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Coqui is widely available here on the north coast in colmados, supermarkets, and ferreterias and it is definitely CA(and it definitely says "Coqui" on the packaging, not sure about the little tube). I've bought several other brands of CA here but I can't remember the names(?).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Coqui is everywhere. We use it all the time.

(I always preferred the gel CA, though.)

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
OK thanks again folks! We found some Lanco Super Glue (with CA) at Unidos on Sarasota Av. Will keep in mind Coqui for the future.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
But, when you purchased your "Lanco Super Glue (with CA) at Unidos on Sarasota Av.", what did the shop owner say as you walked away?
Coqui? LOL.