Separation Before Naturalization Process Finalized

Nov 11, 2017
In May 2015 I applied for Dominican citizenship by marriage on my own without an attorney.
The oral interview was completed in June of that same year and all necessary documents have been submitted and accepted.
The Ministerio de Interior y Policía has told me that they are awaiting the completion of the Interpol check and once that clears it'll be time to swear in.
One and a half months ago my wife separated from me saying she wanted a divorce, however since then I have not heard from her and I don't know where she is, although some friends said she's in Samaná.

My question is is how will this effect my citizenship petition?
Will this mean it's over despite being two and a half years into the process?
Can the status be changed from citizenship by marriage to regular naturalization by someone who has had permanent residency for more than two years without having to start over?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
First off, follow up on that Interpol report. Chances are its not coming and getting your own record check from home will be faster. Looks like time is going to be a factor for you.

Second, if you're not divorced, you're still married. If no legal separation, then no paperwork. No paperwork, no one is the wiser.

Get it done by not allowing it to languish in prosesso.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Just what Cdn Gringo said. Get a police report from home country. Also check on the new list of requirements on the MIP web site, as you will need those now. I was "waiting for Interpol", provided the police check from home country and then they pointed out new list to me. The lack of live in wife will not affect the process.

Matilda

Just what Cdn Gringo said. Get a police report from home country. Also check on the new list of requirements on the MIP web site, as you will need those now. I was "waiting for Interpol", provided the police check from home country and then they pointed out new list to me. The lack of live in wife will not affect the process.

Matilda

I believe that the new requirements ask for things that were already done at the beginning of the application and one of them is what's called a Carta De Garantia, which is where the Dominican spouse declares themselves responsable for their foreign spouse who is applying for Dominican citizenship.

If this Carta De Garantia is one of the things that the OP is being requested to give, then the absence of his wife will likely be a problem.
If he has been a permanent resident for the sufficient amount of time to be able to request DR citizenship on his own, then perhaps the status of his petition can be changed from naturalization by matrimonio to regular naturalization??

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
For some reason we didn't have to do the Carta de Garantia, maybe is just for men requiring naturalization and not for women?

Matilda