Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dominican Dominance

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    It was thirty years ago, that one Dimetrios Georgios Synodinos...aka James George Snyder Sr....aka Jimmy the Greek was fired from his sports commentator position for verbalizing similar thoughts.
    ....so was Howard Cosell............

2. Likes rfp, Caonabo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree on the genes having a great influence. Look at chess. Almost al good chess-players are from russia, Europe or sometimes USA (exception is Cuba once).,
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comp...ughout_history

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

One advantage for DR (or Cuba/PR) is baseball can be played year round. Youth teams in Florida do can this also. In seasonal locations in the US, as an example High School ball starts in Mid March and ends in early June, depending how far a team advances. Then you play in a Summer league through August. Fall leagues have become common in seasonal states in recent years to keep pace with Florida and other warm weather states.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMackey View Post
    One advantage for DR (or Cuba/PR) is baseball can be played year round. Youth teams in Florida do can this also. In seasonal locations in the US, as an example High School ball starts in Mid March and ends in early June, depending how far a team advances. Then you play in a Summer league through August. Fall leagues have become common in seasonal states in recent years to keep pace with Florida and other warm weather states.
    CA used to be a hotbed, but many youts no longer gravitate toward sports.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

6. Likes KyleMackey liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    CA used to be a hotbed, but many youts no longer gravitate toward sports.
    Guessing it still produces a lot of talent, but per capita not as much as it used to. Same for football. All of the PAC 12, MWC, BYU etc recruits Cali and yeah their is still talent but not as much at the elite level along the O line and D line. Soccer is more popular also. People might assume that EPL or MLS is the most watched Soccer in the USA, it isn't it is Liga MX (Mexico).

I was talking to retired HS Baseball coach a couple of years ago. He coached for 32 years at an all boys Catholic school. He told me that in the prime era about 100 kids would try out for the Freshman baseball team. By the early 90's 40-50 would try out for the team. I said what happened, he said Michael Jordan happened. Anyways the baseball is still top shelf, but per capita less kids play as they specialize in only 1 sport.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Pedro Martinez attributed a lot of his success to his long Dominican fingers,he could wrap them around the ball giving him great control and spin rate.

9. Likes KyleMackey, cobraboy liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom0910 View Post
    Pedro Martinez attributed a lot of his success to his long Dominican fingers,he could wrap them around the ball giving him great control and spin rate.
    Most pitchers have larger hands, it certainly helps with pitching and batting. NFL QBs have giant hands also.

Johnny Bench 7 balls 1 hand.

Al Leiter the same

JR Richards did 8

11. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Will look for an update when the final 2019 Rosters are set. 2018 opened with 84 DR players are opening day rosters.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom0910 View Post
    Rico Carty did a commercial for Dad CB in the 60's, and as a 13 y.o. I got to shake his hand. It was as big as a Pony League catcher's mitt. Massive.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

14. Likes Tom0910 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southern View Post
    Good article. They give credit to where credit is due. Genetics! At that level you can train all you want but without the blessings of mother nature you are spinning your wheels. All professional athletes are freaks of nature. The mental component is good but it won't come close to good genes
    Quote Originally Posted by cbmitch9 View Post
    I know too many athletes, musicians, etc who would beg to differ. They have always told me it's based on practice, practice, practice and when their done, more practice and a love for what they do. When you see baseball or any other path as your only vehicle out of poverty, you will take it. You can be naturally skilled to anything but without practicing your craft, fuggetaboutit.
    As someone who both played baseball as a kid and plays music to this day, I completely agree that for the top level of talent in both music and sports, it is the innate ability of the athlete and the musician. All the practice in the world does not make up for incredible reaction time, great eye hand coordination and body style for strength and agility in sports. All of the training in the world will not provide you with perfect pitch, a photographic memory and amazing technique if you don't have the physical gifts for those talents.

Of course practice helps, but a modicum of practice for one physically blessed with the appropriate talents will outperform all of the practice in the world for someone only moderately gifted. The athletes and musicians at the highest gifted levels are competing with others with those same gifts, so I can understand why they speak of practice. Just a slight edge can make a difference and that is where their practice helps them fine tune their superior abilities.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123