When looking Dominican goes wrong

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Today I went to my favorite store, Almacenes Unidos to buy a vegetable spiral cutter and some other things.
I grab a basket and started looking for the item.

You would think it would be in the section with other kitchen items, but after a few mins of going up and down rows I asked a store worker where can I find the item. He told me on the second floor, uhhh?? Yes they have two floors of kitchen items. Once on the second floor I find the item is out of stock and the only other one is $RD2500 pesos. Well I will be cutting with the julienne cutting for 100 pesos.

I go back down to the first floor to buy some produce. I notice a security worker is following behind me. At first I think nothing of it because, Hey I'm in the DR a land of brown people, that type of thing only happens in US stores. But when I make a turn down a row he keeps flowing me, then down another row.

After a few mins of this I become perturbed and I stop to let the security guy pass me then I follow him. I only do it for a few feet because I think this is silly and I have to  finish my shopping. I do give him the side eye. JAJAJ

On my way back home I think, WOW I was just profiled in DR. What was it about me that made the security guy feel I was a thief? I'm a middle age black american. What profile do I fit?

Then I started to laugh because I came to the conclusion the security guard thought I was Dominican and I was wearing shorts and a Baseball jersey, the profile of ladrones.  

One of the reason I felt this was while in the store there was a promotion for some juice  and I passed the lady giving out samples but I told her no gracias. Later I was approached  by another lady asking me to try the item. She was speaking fast so I told her sorry I don't speak spanish. She gave me the Scobby-Doo look and asked, "You're not Dominican"? I just smiled and told her I get it all the time.

Still I found it funny but sad that in that part of town (Bella Vista), brown skin Dominicans wearing shorts will be profiled in stores.  I guess if you a have a darker complexion you better wear long pants. Only ladrones and uncouth people dress this way. JAJA

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I would not lose any sleep over that . I spent more than an hour hunting for a bottle of Gordons gin one day in Jumbo and I was followed around by a large security man and I am white .. Of course I found the gin on a shelf behind other bottles.....of vodka!!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Finally, some Dominicans that do think we gringos are NOT all rich...

...having the need to steal in a supermarket, lol.

vida

Mar 18, 2010
I am aware of being followed and watched carefully.  Yesterday I had that experience in Zara Blue Mall and la sirena.  I also am aware of the same in Unidos on Sarisota.  I am white, older, and do not look like a basketball player.  I don’t think I was being profiled.  I think the security was just doing their very boring job.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Kipling333, vida

How were you guys dressed? I know in some cases wearing shorts pants is looked down upon.?

I didn't lose any sleep over it, but it felt strange having that happen. 

It's funny when I'm with other American friends and we are at a restaurant or cafe, the person will take their orders and just walk away. I have to ask them are you going to ask me what I want? 

They think I'm that "Dominican friennn" who's a hanger-on. JAJAJ. It also happens to my African friend who gets mistaken for Haitian.  Dominicans will address me but not him. One time I had to tell a neighbor to explain to my friend he speaks fluent spanish and I don't .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would not lose any sleep over that . I spent more than an hour hunting for a bottle of Gordons gin one day in Jumbo and I was followed around by a large security man and I am white .. Of course I found the gin on a shelf behind other bottles.....of vodka!!

All you need to do is enter Playero in Sosua regardless of skin color to be followed around if you ever feel like you are missing the experience on the north coast.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I've been going to the Cuesta hardware store on El Conde opposite Supermercado National regularly and have experienced being shadowed by the security guard several times. I must disclose that I don't fit any specific ethnic stereotype because I've been asked "de donde eres" and "where are you from" too many times to mention. I have also been told where I am from:puerto Rico, Venezuela, Nueva Yol, de afuera, etc. The Guard in question has seen me buy screws, screwdrivers, nails, hammers, circular saw, blades, electric drill with assorted bits and more. I wanted to test my theory about being seen as a potential ladron and once, while being followed, stopped in the middle of the aísle and told the Guard "pase usted" He did, and stopped at the other end, turned around and stopped to watch me again. I took my shopping cart to him and told him "ponga eso donde estaba porque ya no lo voy a comprar", walked out of the store and have not returned. Maybe it's my sunglasses.

Feb 7, 2007
I would have just kept getting items and handing him those over while saying "coga eso moreno/flaco/gordo/cucho y devuelvalo" in somewhat condescending tone and kept doing that until he got bored. Of course I would zig zag across the store up and down the aisles and taking random things, looking at them and then passing it on to the guy. I would most certainly have fun out of it.

Or would take several photos of him and if he asked why I would say "voy a poner la denuncia que me esta acosando por toda la tienda y voy a publicar ese foto en redes sociales para que la gente tenga cuidado y sepa que por aquí anda un depredador sexual". Might be also fun.

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You're not being profiled. They do that almost everywhere regardless of what color you are or what you are wearing. It's their job. They'll get fired if they don't. I know, it's bothersome and something most foreigners are not accustomed to.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Kipling333, vida

How were you guys dressed? I know in some cases wearing shorts pants is looked down upon.?

I didn't lose any sleep over it, but it felt strange having that happen. 

It's funny when I'm with other American friends and we are at a restaurant or cafe, the person will take their orders and just walk away. I have to ask them are you going to ask me what I want? 

They think I'm that "Dominican friennn" who's a hanger-on. JAJAJ. It also happens to my African friend who gets mistaken for Haitian.  Dominicans will address me but not him. One time I had to tell a neighbor to explain to my friend he speaks fluent spanish and I don't .

I enter almost daily in that Unidos, often in shorts and chancletas and almost always ‘a pie’ (living across the street).

Haven’t had security following me, but there’s much more security in that store than in other supermarkets. 

They do look funny when I insist that I want the groceries in two fabric bags I bring instead of 20 plastic bags. 

By the way, that place is packed with foreigners daily.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
You're not being profiled. They do that almost everywhere regardless of what color you are or what you are wearing. It's their job. They'll get fired if they don't. I know, it's bothersome and something most foreigners are not accustomed to.

I would like that to be the case but having lived here for 3 yrs it has never happen to me. Didn't bother me as much as the store not having the spiral peeler. Now that's a crime

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
I think I was followed once in the states (Not sure why). However, here in DR, I don't think I've ever been followed, or maybe I have been followed but never noticed it because when I shop, I am usually in my own world paying little attention to my surroundings. It's either that or my light skin pelo Bueno Dominican privilege that everyone talks so much about in these forums is finally paying off.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I would like that to be the case but having lived here for 3 yrs it has never happen to me. Didn't bother me as much as the store not having the spiral peeler. Now that's a crime

I've been here 11 years. Happens to me all the time. I notice it especially when there aren't many people in the store. As soon as I move to the next isle, the guy moves over to that isle to watch. Move to the next isle, there he is again. A lot of my friends have commented on it. It doesn't matter if you're white, black, American, Dominican - whatever. They watch everyone like hawks here. Shoplifting must be a huge problem.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've been here 11 years. Happens to me all the time. I notice it especially when there aren't many people in the store. As soon as I move to the next isle, the guy moves over to that isle to watch. Move to the next isle, there he is again. A lot of my friends have commented on it. It doesn't matter if you're white, black, American, Dominican - whatever. They watch everyone like hawks here. Shoplifting must be a huge problem.

has it ever dawned upon you than in some of the cases it is an overeagerness to be helpful, in order to make a sale? i have been followed around in Plaza Lama. i am sure that they were not worried that i was planning to put a double door refrigerator in my back pocket. some of these people's jobs depend on making a sale, and they oftentimes follow you around to make sure that if you need help, there they are.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
has it ever dawned upon you than in some of the cases it is an overeagerness to be helpful, in order to make a sale? i have been followed around in Plaza Lama. i am sure that they were not worried that i was planning to put a double door refrigerator in my back pocket. some of these people's jobs depend on making a sale, and they oftentimes follow you around to make sure that if you need help, there they are.

There's a difference when a regular worker flowing you around to make a sale or being helpful and a security guard watching your every move. 

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I think I was followed once in the states (Not sure why). However, here in DR, I don't think I've ever been followed, or maybe I have been followed but never noticed it because when I shop, I am usually in my own world paying little attention to my surroundings. It's either that or my light skin pelo Bueno Dominican privilege that everyone talks so much about in these forums is finally paying off.

Work it!!!  jajaja

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There's a difference when a regular worker flowing you around to make a sale or being helpful and a security guard watching your every move. 

i agree with you, RG. i am just saying that in certain cases, the intents can be misconstrued. the fact that they follow you everywhere bears that out. i can understand surveillance in the areas with tiny items which readily lend themselves to theft, but they are behind you near the big screen tvs.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
WHY is it that people that live and die under one drop rule involve their race issue everywhere? did you even thought that perhaps your skin color had nothing to do with that?

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015

they though your were into something that is for sure...the WHY is the important thing

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
WHY is it that people that live and die under one drop rule involve their race issue everywhere? did you even thought that perhaps your skin color had nothing to do with that?

The one drop rule? How did that come up?  I would like to have that luxury to think that way, but I know better.