Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    You're not being profiled. They do that almost everywhere regardless of what color you are or what you are wearing. It's their job. They'll get fired if they don't. I know, it's bothersome and something most foreigners are not accustomed to.


    I would like that to be the case but having lived here for 3 yrs it has never happen to me. Didn't bother me as much as the store not having the spiral peeler. Now that's a crime

  2. #12
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think I was followed once in the states (Not sure why). However, here in DR, I don't think I've ever been followed, or maybe I have been followed but never noticed it because when I shop, I am usually in my own world paying little attention to my surroundings. It's either that or my light skin pelo Bueno Dominican privilege that everyone talks so much about in these forums is finally paying off.

  3. Likes RG84 liked this post
  4. #13
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RG84 View Post
    I would like that to be the case but having lived here for 3 yrs it has never happen to me. Didn't bother me as much as the store not having the spiral peeler. Now that's a crime
    I've been here 11 years. Happens to me all the time. I notice it especially when there aren't many people in the store. As soon as I move to the next isle, the guy moves over to that isle to watch. Move to the next isle, there he is again. A lot of my friends have commented on it. It doesn't matter if you're white, black, American, Dominican - whatever. They watch everyone like hawks here. Shoplifting must be a huge problem.

  5. Likes RG84 liked this post
  6. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    I've been here 11 years. Happens to me all the time. I notice it especially when there aren't many people in the store. As soon as I move to the next isle, the guy moves over to that isle to watch. Move to the next isle, there he is again. A lot of my friends have commented on it. It doesn't matter if you're white, black, American, Dominican - whatever. They watch everyone like hawks here. Shoplifting must be a huge problem.
    has it ever dawned upon you than in some of the cases it is an overeagerness to be helpful, in order to make a sale? i have been followed around in Plaza Lama. i am sure that they were not worried that i was planning to put a double door refrigerator in my back pocket. some of these people's jobs depend on making a sale, and they oftentimes follow you around to make sure that if you need help, there they are.

  7. Likes RG84, Russell, Mauricio liked this post
  8. #15
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    has it ever dawned upon you than in some of the cases it is an overeagerness to be helpful, in order to make a sale? i have been followed around in Plaza Lama. i am sure that they were not worried that i was planning to put a double door refrigerator in my back pocket. some of these people's jobs depend on making a sale, and they oftentimes follow you around to make sure that if you need help, there they are.


    There's a difference when a regular worker flowing you around to make a sale or being helpful and a security guard watching your every move. 

  9. #16
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurabo444 View Post
    I think I was followed once in the states (Not sure why). However, here in DR, I don't think I've ever been followed, or maybe I have been followed but never noticed it because when I shop, I am usually in my own world paying little attention to my surroundings. It's either that or my light skin pelo Bueno Dominican privilege that everyone talks so much about in these forums is finally paying off.


    Work it!!!  jajaja

  10. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RG84 View Post
    There's a difference when a regular worker flowing you around to make a sale or being helpful and a security guard watching your every move. 
    i agree with you, RG. i am just saying that in certain cases, the intents can be misconstrued. the fact that they follow you everywhere bears that out. i can understand surveillance in the areas with tiny items which readily lend themselves to theft, but they are behind you near the big screen tvs.

  11. Likes RG84 liked this post
  12. #18
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    746
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    WHY is it that people that live and die under one drop rule involve their race issue everywhere? did you even thought that perhaps your skin color had nothing to do with that?

  13. Likes RG84, Russell, southern, Aguaita29 liked this post
  14. #19
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    746
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RG84 View Post
    There's a difference when a regular worker flowing you around to make a sale or being helpful and a security guard watching your every move. 
    they though your were into something that is for sure...the WHY is the important thing

  15. Likes RG84 liked this post
  16. #20
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by airgordo View Post
    WHY is it that people that live and die under one drop rule involve their race issue everywhere? did you even thought that perhaps your skin color had nothing to do with that?


    The one drop rule? How did that come up?  I would like to have that luxury to think that way, but I know better.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •