Best Sliced Bread in DR?

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
....So far we think it's LUMIJOR 'Premium Quality'..it's the closest we could find to Hovis , Warbuton etc ..

Makes a great sandwich ..stays soft for a day or two ..but looses its taste ( or goes sour) after a while ....

Any other good sliced bread brands in DR?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Lumijor is my bread of choice.

I buy the "SANDWICH Blanco personal".
The date on the package should be 2 weeks or more into the future at purchase time.

The last one I bought 3 days ago is dated 28 - 11 - 17.
I like fresh bread, that´s why I buy the small one.

The plastic packaging makes most breads feel soft, could still be somewhat dry inside.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
That is also the only brand I purchase, soft and makes for a good sandwich.....
Never experienced the flavor change.....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
....So far we think it's LUMIJOR 'Premium Quality'..it's the closest we could find to Hovis , Warbuton etc ..

Makes a great sandwich ..stays soft for a day or two ..but looses its taste ( or goes sour) after a while ....

i have tried just about every brand of bread available in POP, and the only partially acceptable brand i have seen is Lumijor. the rest are like eating straw. i have no idea why they are all so bad

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Agreed, Lumijor is the best. Their industrial bakery on Rafael Vidal in Santiago smells like heaven.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Actually a good rye bread from Dick's in Cabarete and have them put it on their slicing machine.

Bob K

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Lumijor Multigrain is our bread of choice , even though I only eat pan de agua.

Holsum isn’t bad either. But imported, so not fresh.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I enjoy the Bravo white bread and the Lumijor mixed grain. Bravo also makes excellent multigrain and "pan campesina" which is a bit pricy but really good.

HB

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
@Buffness

You read my mind. I was just about to open a thread asking for recommendation after yet again had to through away a half package of dark bread from Jumbo because it became bad. (Bought it three days ago :mad:).

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
@Buffness

You read my mind. I was just about to open a thread asking for recommendation after yet again had to through away a half package of dark bread from Jumbo because it became bad. (Bought it three days ago :mad:).

Could it be the tropical climate of the RD, with it's humidity, being the reason for the bread going moldy more quickly than in other countries, as opposed to the brand?

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
For sliced white bread I prefer Nature's Own available from both La Sirena and Nacional. For real bread the best in Santiago the it has to be La Campagna

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
For sliced white bread I prefer Nature's Own available from both La Sirena and Nacional. For real bread the best in Santiago the it has to be La Campagna

Campagna has a bread called pan de leche....it is outrageous. a trifle pricey, but worth it.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
They don't know nothing about bread here....sad. Only the baguetes from Jeanette come close to the real thing, but then you have to pack it in plastic bags, fatal for bread.

Donnad722

Mar 22, 2016
Best Sliced Bread in DR

Would say the bread that comes from the National supermarket and I also enjoy the wheat breads from Bravo and la Sirena, the Lumijor is good too. It all comes down to individual taste.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As someone who grew up with amazing baked goods from my grandfather's bakery, even Dick's does not measure up, but it is fairly good.. It is what it is here.